Rams opt not to carry over all of their unused cap space from last season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@LesBaker
I'm well aware of that and have talked about the 89% minimum spent in many different threads. We'll see how it ends up after the draft and free agency but it's comical that a guy can spend 75% of the salary cap for three years and then in the fourth finally meet his four year obligation and that makes him better than other owners who regularly meet theirs.

It doens't make any of them better or worse and I NEVER #EVER said that, or anything like it. Someone else made that point in reverse.

My point to fearsomefour was that just because Kroenke has spent a larger portion of the cap than Khan it is not any kind of indicator that he wants to win more. Some of the contracts were in place when he bought the team. Including some BIG ones that were not helping. Bradford, CLong, JL etc.

So it isn't like this is any kind of proof he wants to win more than any other owner.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It is also due to a different method. Obviously Khan is not going with the pay as you go method.

BTW - Khan will not get fined the entire amount if he doesn't spend it this year IIRR. He can only be fined that which falls under the minimum.

That part is a little fuzzy for me, but I haven't really read enough on it to know those details.

If you can bring me up to speed that's fine.

@flv like @-X- said you have a broader and deeper knowledge of the cheddar than we do so feel free to weigh in. Like him I read your posts about the money every time I see them.

EDIT: It just occured to me that the Jags may have cleaned house and may have a lot more guys on the roster from the new rookie scale. I'm not sure but it's a possible explanation. I don't know if he is using the pay as you go or if he had the GM purge the roster and start over. It could be a variety of things and there are probably a few converging drivers.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
@flv Is this information public? Are you Demoff's accountant? Or are you just making shit up?
:)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

zHTglAt.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Jaguars are smart, they'll give gigantic roster bonuses to FAs they sign this off-season rather than signing bonuses.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...otect-against-postseason-practice-squad-raid/

Broncos left cap space behind to protect against postseason practice-squad raid
Posted by Mike Florio on February 25, 2016

cash-carry-2-e1456443265992.jpg
Getty Images

Some of you have asked why the Saints, Broncos, and Rams opted not to carry over their full allotment of cap space. As to one of the three teams, we have an answer.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Broncos saved $267,088 in order to have extra money available if another postseason team tried to sign any players from the Denver practice squad.

The carryover decision is made at the end of the regular season. For the 12 teams that make the playoffs, it remains possible that another team still in the playoffs will try to sign away a practice-squad player. Having the extra cap space available gives the playoff team flexibility to fend off an attempt to sign a player away.

The Broncos opted to play the situation conservatively. However, none of the other playoff teams did, meaning that they couldn’t have spent any extra money to keep practice squad players or to steal someone else’s.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My point to fearsomefour was that just because Kroenke has spent a larger portion of the cap than Khan it is not any kind of indicator that he wants to win more. Some of the contracts were in place when he bought the team. Including some BIG ones that were not helping. Bradford, CLong, JL etc.
It just cracks me up how you are so apologetic for Khan yet so damning toward Kroenke. Kroenke consistently to the cap must mean he has escape clauses or others are responsible for the contracts but Khan is underspending so that he can spend more later. Kroenke only cares about money but spends more while Khan probably cares at least as much and spending means nothing.

Meanwhile in his business dealings, Khan is known for hostile takeovers and buying companies and then firing everyone. Yeah - he's one cool dude that only cares about the little people.

So can you name one contract that is in place that was there when Kroenke took over? That would be a pretty long contract. I'm pretty sure JL and Long both signed their most recent contracts since Stan took over. Bradford was on his rookie deal so he would be the exception. Even still, we traded away his contract and still spent up to the cap (just shy) this season.

EDIT: It just occured to me that the Jags may have cleaned house and may have a lot more guys on the roster from the new rookie scale. I'm not sure but it's a possible explanation. I don't know if he is using the pay as you go or if he had the GM purge the roster and start over. It could be a variety of things and there are probably a few converging drivers.

That's a pretty long house cleaning project. You are telling me you think - even though NFL teams don't do what you are suggesting - that Khan has been cleaning house for four years? I guess we'll see. If so, the Jags will be the ultimate spender in FA. Might as well not even get into negotiations with any of the top FAs because Khan can and will almost have to outspend everyone for them unless he intends to stay down around the minimum.

The choice between owners? I'll take Kroenke any day and twice on Sundays.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...otect-against-postseason-practice-squad-raid/

Broncos left cap space behind to protect against postseason practice-squad raid
Posted by Mike Florio on February 25, 2016

cash-carry-2-e1456443265992.jpg
Getty Images

Some of you have asked why the Saints, Broncos, and Rams opted not to carry over their full allotment of cap space. As to one of the three teams, we have an answer.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Broncos saved $267,088 in order to have extra money available if another postseason team tried to sign any players from the Denver practice squad.

The carryover decision is made at the end of the regular season. For the 12 teams that make the playoffs, it remains possible that another team still in the playoffs will try to sign away a practice-squad player. Having the extra cap space available gives the playoff team flexibility to fend off an attempt to sign a player away.

The Broncos opted to play the situation conservatively. However, none of the other playoff teams did, meaning that they couldn’t have spent any extra money to keep practice squad players or to steal someone else’s.
Hmmm.... Seems to me we had at least one O-lineman we were concerned about someone snagging off our PS. You think Battle could account for that $900k alone?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The jaguars record since khan took over.

2 and 14
4 and 12
3 and 13
5 and 11

He's trying to build his own factory of sadness.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The jaguars record since khan took over.

2 and 14
4 and 12
3 and 13
5 and 11

He's trying to build his own factory of sadness.

Terrible record, doesn't spend to the cap and some complain about our owner because his NHL team hasn't won a Stanley Cup in 10 years...
Kroenke>Khan all day