Rams only Offensive Tackle Reserve availble...Mike Persons

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams front office must like what they see in Mike Persons when they released veteran ex starting NFL OT Max Starks this past week to make room for Dunbar. Rams have only one listed back up/reserve OT available this week. It leaves ex Seahawk, ex Colt, ex 9er 7th rd selection in 2011 Mike Persons.

Mike Persons is a 25 yr old 6-foot-5, 299 pounder who is in his third NFL season, Rams gave him the #73 OT number on his uni. Person was a D-IAA Montana's starting left tackle in 2011 and didn't allow a single sack all that season, earning 2011 consensus first-team FCS All-American honors. He finished his career with 48 straight starts.

When he came out in 2011 ....with the intangibles, work-ethic and football smarts to become a backup offensive lineman. However, lacks the foot quickness and body control necessary to start or protect the blind side. While he did not allow a sack during his senior year and shows the ability to thwart the bull rush, should have problems dealing with speed rushers. Doesn't play with great pad level or blow defenders off the ball but does a good job getting into position as a run blocker. Consistently recognized for his leadership and effort in college.

In 2011 Both Mike Persons & Barrett Jones were having great 2011 season starting @ Left OT for their teams, Barrett Jones won a half dozen awards while playing OLT in the SEC Championship teams.

Saffold has said he has great hopes to be able to be cleared to play on October 13th,2013 against the Texans but that could be wishful thinking too. With Saffold still fully out The is nobody else on the roster who has played the OLT post for the Rams this season other than the two current starters. Brandon Washington who has played both OG positions in preseason has also played ORT too but is not good at it. Jake Long has been hanging in there with a various list of nagging bruises & strains but it follows a similar pattern of his past two NFL seasons in Miami where he was just not overly effective on the field. Miami who let him go was expected to suffer great with Long's lost but are doing very well since. We could see #73 in the starting lineup @ OLT . Persons did play in one NFL game for the Seattle in 2012.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Re: Rams only Offensive Tackle Reserve availble...Mike Perso

What I've seen from Persons.

He looks like he has pretty good feet, athleticism, and explosion. He has a decent base, but I'd like to see him get bigger in his upper body. He does have short arms--under 33".

Looks like a natural Guard to me, but needs to add some good weight, although it appears that he can play some tackle. Looks to me like he gained some bad weight before the combine to get to 299 lbs, but he's not soft. He gets out over his hips a little too much by bending too much at the waist instead of his knees. I gives him good leverage in run blocking, but can cause him to lunge/miss in pass pro.

He has a little nasty in him, seems to commit to his block, saw him make a couple good blocks in space, including a block on a hitch where he had to run a long way. He's pretty fast, about a 5 flat guy. He was the top performer in the 3 cone, and 20 yard shuttle at the combine in 2011, gives you an idea of his athleticism, and change of direction on the run.

Could be a good developmental guy, IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

DR RAM said:

He looks like he has pretty good feet, athleticism, and explosion. He has a decent base, but I'd like to see him get bigger in his upper body. He does have short arms--under 33".

Looks like a natural Guard to me, but needs to add some good weight, although it appears that he can play some tackle. Looks to me like he gained some bad weight before the combine to get to 299 lbs, but he's not soft. He gets out over his hips a little too much by bending too much at the waist instead of his knees. I gives him good leverage in run blocking, but can cause him to lunge/miss in pass pro.

He has a little nasty in him, seems to commit to his block, saw him make a couple good blocks in space, including a block on a hitch where he had to run a long way. He's pretty fast, about a 5 flat guy. He was the top performer in the 3 cone, and 20 yard shuttle at the combine in 2011, gives you an idea of his athleticism, and change of direction on the run.

Of those Mike Person's 48 started games all but the last 11 were @ starting Right Tackle position. So it could be he may be a possible right side guy more than a left OT project. With Joe Barksdale grading out week by week as the Rams best current starting OL one would think he would have to shift/flip to left OT if Jake goes down again. Persons could fulfill the ORT post better???

Another question is do you bench your best performing OL'er when Saffold retains enough health to play?? That will be something to watch. With Barksdale game by game improvement how could it be smart to take him out and reward him with his good performance with a benching? Another thing is how long can Saffold hold up @ OT his past record of that is dismal why screw with the OT's now? If Saffold goes down again @ OG it would not disrupt so much of what little this OL has going for it. Its my belief that we need to keep Barksdale in his current ORT post & let him learn and we could have a very good ORT by seasons end ...we all know Saffold will depart. One thing we do know about Saffold is he is gifted in the area of versatility!

Anyway I would think that a decision to bench Barksdale would be a bad one if made. I would prefer to insert the often constant injured Saffold back in @ one of the weakest OL positions either OLG or ORG instead of bench our most likely future starting 2014 Right OT.

As this current OL continues to produce ZERO in running room new insert-ments in this starting OL cadre is in order. I would look hard @ Tim Barnes @ Left OG & Roger Saffold @ Right OG ..... to see if some running room can be found! Because what we know for certain is this OL is not getting it done with the current cadre. How much more can Sam stand without any running game?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

BonifayRam said:
DR RAM said:

Of those Mike Person's 48 started games all but the last 11 were @ starting Right Tackle position. So it could be he may be a possible right side guy more than a left OT project. With Joe Barksdale grading out week by week as the Rams best current starting OL one would think he would have to shift/flip to left OT if Jake goes down again. Persons could fulfill the ORT post better???

Another question is do you bench your best performing OL'er when Saffold retains enough health to play?? That will be something to watch. With Barksdale game by game improvement how could it be smart to take him out and reward him with his good performance with a benching? Another thing is how long can Saffold hold up @ OT his past record of that is dismal why screw with the OT's now? If Saffold goes down again @ OG it would not disrupt so much of what little this OL has going for it. Its my belief that we need to keep Barksdale in his current ORT post & let him learn and we could have a very good ORT by seasons end ...we all know Saffold will depart. One thing we do know about Saffold is he is gifted in the area of versatility!

Anyway I would think that a decision to bench Barksdale would be a bad one if made. I would prefer to insert the often constant injured Saffold back in @ one of the weakest OL positions either OLG or ORG instead of bench our most likely future starting 2014 Right OT.

As this current OL continues to produce ZERO in running room new insert-ments in this starting OL cadre is in order. I would look hard @ Tim Barnes @ Left OG & Roger Saffold @ Right OG ..... to see if some running room can be found! Because what we know for certain is this OL is not getting it done with the current cadre. How much more can Sam stand without any running game?

If we are talking Tackle only, I think you would start the best run blocker, because they are performing similar in pass pro. Who's the better run blocker? I think Saffold might have the edge.

I wouldn't be against ANY kind of experimentation to try to get something going, including replacing Wells with Barnes, and any combo at Guard, maybe Smith and Saffold. FWIW, I thought that Smith played a little better on the right side. LOT - Long, LG - Saffold, C - Barnes, RG - Smith, - ORT - Barksdale.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

He's a Montana boy, so I love him. I watched Mike compete in football, basketball and track during his high school days at Dawson County H.S., and football at Montana State University. He is a tough competitor and will work his ass off for this team. Fisher has some insight about Mike because he played against Brandon, Trumaine and Chase Reynolds when they were at the University of Montana. I worked with his sister, Sarah, for a couple years. She was our middle school PE teacher and H.S. Athletic Director. He comes from a great family, and I hope he has many great years with the RAMS!