Rams on the clock at #37 (CBS Sports)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...p-five-needs-best-fits-on-the-clock-at-no-37/

This is one in a series that covers each team, offering viewers information for homework, suggestions and then the opportunity to make a draft pick.

When the NFL Draft begins selections in Philadelphia April 27, the Los Angeles Rams will wait until the next day to make their initial pick at No. 37 overall in the second round.

Here is an in-depth look at the team's needs, offseason changes, potential best fit and the selections by NFLDraftScout.com's experts.

Who would you pick and why?

Top five needs
1. No. 1 receiver: It's a been a well-established problem for the Rams, but they just haven't been able to uncover a game-changing wideout. And while they added veteran Robert Woods in free agency, he isn't the elusive big-time downfield threat they sorely need.

2. Center: The Rams released Tim Barnes during the early stage of free agency, and while they chased Buffalo restricted free agent Ryan Groy with a contract offer sheet, the Bills wasted little time matching the offer. That leaves the Rams still in the market for a starting center even after the signing of John Sullivan.

3. Safety: Veteran T.J. McDonald will not be brought back -- he signed as a free agent with the Dolphins -- leaving the Rams with only Maurice Alexanderas a starting safety. With precious few desirable free-agent possibilities, the Rams figure to address the position in a draft fairly deep at the position.

4. Cornerback: The Rams are open to locking up Trumaine Johnson to a long-term contract, but part of that is dependent on Johnson wanting to be in Los Angeles long term and whether he's a good fit for Wade Phillips' new defensive scheme. Point being, there is a chance Johnson might not be with the Rams beyond this season. Drafting a fill-in option -- or a future starter opposite him -- is a strategy they will consider.

5. Outside linebacker: The Rams signed veteran Connor Barwin as a 3-4 outside linebacker, but it remains to be seen if he's a long-range answer. Even with defensive end Robert Quinn moving to the position, drafting and developing a future asset at rush linebacker is critical.

Best fit
Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan: The Rams need to improve the infrastructure around young quarterback Jared Goff, and desperately need a big, fast, dependable receiver who can put fear into the heads of opposing defenses. Davis fits that bill, and if he is available at No. 37 the Rams should jump at the chance to bring him in. Davis is a four-year starter and one of the most productive players in the draft, having capped his impressive career with 97 catches, 1,500 yards receiving and 19 touchdowns in 2016.

corey-davis.jpg

Will Davis slide to the Rams in the second round? USATSI

The pick will be ...

Rob Rang: Evan Engram, TE, Mississippi. The Rams still need to add more weapons to help quarterback Jared Goff and at 6-foot-3, 234 pounds, Engram has similar size and athleticism as Jordan Reed, who become a star under new Rams head coach Sean McVay in Washington.

Dane Brugler: Takk McKinley, OLB, UCLA. The Rams have needs all over the roster and might be able to steal McKinley at a discount due to the shoulder issue that might force him to miss training camp.

Jim Miller: Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama.

(Pat Kirwan, Miller picks based on last Friday's mock on SiriusXM Radio. Listen to their next mock Friday, April 21, on SiriusXM NFL Radio channel 88).

Frank Cooney, IMO: Plenty of needs here, but a pass-catcher will help ignite Jared Goff's career. I'll be surprised if wide receiver Corey Davis is still around, which might make Mississippi tight end Evan Engram a good addition to new head coach Sean McVay's offense for Goff.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I just love when reporters don't pay attention to the team they're talking about. I mean it's not like the Rams haven't made our starter at FS known :) It would be very interesting if Takk or Humphrey fell though same with Corey Davis.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
If you listen to some of the draft "analysts", they always have a "pool" of guys they swear are "first rounders". But since there can only be 32 actual first round choices..... obviously everyone included in their pool, is not. But that been said, the statement applies...."one man's trash.......is another man's treasure..." and vice versa.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think it is very possible that there will be "3" TE's taken in the 1st round, which means Engram won't be there for the Rams!
I also don't see WR - Davis being there in the 2nd! So who then!?!
IF the Rams don't Trade up ( which I think they would be stupid to do!) I think they LB or CB! My choice LB! I'm pretty sure McKiney will be gone, that leaves T.J.Watt as our Best option! JMHO
Of course I would like to see either WR - Zay Jones or Cooper Kupp in Horns too!!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I know I'm on an island with this opinion - but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Njoku fall into the late first or early 2nd.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just love when reporters don't pay attention to the team they're talking about. I mean it's not like the Rams haven't made our starter at FS known :) It would be very interesting if Takk or Humphrey fell though same with Corey Davis.
Yes Sir!

Pure hogwash that the Rams need a FS as an #3 need. However I would agree with the other needs mentioned & are correct in general. We all disagree pretty much on which one is top need. Most would be together that this 2017 draft just in desiring that Snead & McVay get the best player possible period.Now that I said this watch Malik Hooker drop to us @ #37:LOL:

This wonderful forum has covered this safety need issue inside & out really good. Sure do not see much else that needs to be said here @ this time on this allege false need for this team. But if any member does have thoughts that a Safety is a need @ #3 I would sure like to hear from you & see what makes you believe that.:bueller:

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That's okay of all the mocks I like our own here at ROD with @jrry32 , @OldSchool & @Corbin leading the way...jrry just posted his last one recently with Engram & Kupp at the top so IMHO these fine gentlemen know far more than the national pundits that are clowns on the left and jokers on the right.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
There will be several good to great players available at 37....As someone said to Indiana Jones, "Choose wisely"

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Your right!! NEVER going to happen!!:D

I know every draft is different - but have you ever taken a look at the list of tight ends drafted in the first round? In the last decade, Greg Olson stands out as the one guy who was probably worth the pick and the team that drafted him doesn't even have him anymore.

Day two tight ends have shown real value - and to be fair - in a redraft situation, Gronk, Graham, Kelce et al would go higher than they did.

I'm think Njoku goes late 20s early 30s myself.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I know every draft is different - but have you ever taken a look at the list of tight ends drafted in the first round? In the last decade, Greg Olson stands out as the one guy who was probably worth the pick and the team that drafted him doesn't even have him anymore.

Day two tight ends have shown real value - and to be fair - in a redraft situation, Gronk, Graham, Kelce et al would go higher than they did.

I'm think Njoku goes late 20s early 30s myself.
Well, very rarely do you see more than two TE's go in the 1st round. So it's not surprising 1st Round TE's are not usually successful.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Well, very rarely do you see more than two TE's go in the 1st round. So it's not surprising 1st Round TE's are not usually successful.

I suppose you could make the argument that elite tight ends are so rare that they are worth it when available.

But I think picks like Ebron, Gresham, Winslow, Davis, Keller, and Pettigrew have to make front offices think twice. Hitting on your first rounder is important.

Even Eifert, who has been well worth it when healthy - hasn't been able to stay on the field.

That's part of why I think two tight ends going in the first 20 or so picks isn't all that likely. Although - again - every draft is different.

I will say this - if the Rams jump up into the late first and nab Njoku, I'll like it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I suppose you could make the argument that elite tight ends are so rare that they are worth it when available.

But I think picks like Ebron, Gresham, Winslow, Davis, Keller, and Pettigrew have to make front offices think twice. Hitting on your first rounder is important.

Even Eifert, who has been well worth it when healthy - hasn't been able to stay on the field.

That's part of why I think two tight ends going in the first 20 or so picks isn't all that likely. Although - again - every draft is different.

I will say this - if the Rams jump up into the late first and nab Njoku, I'll like it.
We will see how accurate the ROD Mock is, TE - O.J. Howard went 8th to Carolina, and TE - Njoku went 11th over-all to The Vikings!
The TE Class this year is so good you could see a 3rd TE go late in the 1st. You know how N.E. loves TE's!!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We will see how accurate the ROD Mock is, TE - O.J. Howard went 8th to Carolina, and TE - Njoku went 11th over-all to The Vikings!
The TE Class this year is so good you could see a 3rd TE go late in the 1st. You know how N.E. loves TE's!!

Yeah but the guy running the Vikings was a complete maniac.

:fighting:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We've all seen some mocks that have Ross falling to us in the 2nd come around lately. It seems there are reports that have his medicals being described as "horrible". Really interesting and something that I hope we get more info on soon.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We've all seen some mocks that have Ross falling to us in the 2nd come around lately. It seems there are reports that have his medicals being described as "horrible". Really interesting and something that I hope we get more info on soon.

Love the player - not sure I want us to take an injury question mark.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

Only in base packages though, we still don't have a starting FS for nickel

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only in base packages though, we still don't have a starting FS for nickel
We most certainly do since we have signed a nickle CB in Nickell Robey-Colleman. We have our top 4 CB in TruJo, Gaines, Webster and Robey-Coleman. We have our starting SS and FS in Alexander and Joyner.