Rams OLB Justin Lawler undergoing foot surgery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_12829612.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 6 hours ago

The Los Angeles Rams had remained healthy throughout training camp, but they were dealt their first significant injury blow this week. Sean McVay announced on Tuesday that edge rusher Justin Lawler is undergoing foot surgery.

It’s unclear how long Lawler will be out, but any foot procedure typically comes with a fairly lengthy recovery period. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo broke his foot last spring and wasn’t activated until November.

Lawler was battling for one of the backup spots at outside linebacker, though he also has the size and length to play defensive end, too. His versatility gave him a good chance to make the 53-man roster.

The Rams selected Lawler in the seventh round in 2018. He dressed for all 16 games last year, making six tackles (one for a loss).

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/06/nfl-rams-justin-lawler-foot-surgery-injury/

oldnotdead

Legend
He was a long shot to ever play and probably to make this team. His problems are lack of speed, and lack of overall athleticism. He's likely to eventually get an injury settlement. His role was strictly ST's.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Rams now have a great excuse for putting both Obo & Lawler on the Pup list, then later possibly IR them to keep them around for another shot in 2020. Neither would likely survive as Rams for long being placed on the practice squad. I imagine we'll see just how valuable Wade Phillips considers them going forward, but they are both relatively cheap to keep around. jmo.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Maybe we will now see Trevon Young opposite Samson Ekubon on the second unit.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
He was a long shot to ever play and probably to make this team. His problems are lack of speed, and lack of overall athleticism. He's likely to eventually get an injury settlement. His role was strictly ST's.

According to depth chart released today, Lawler was behind Clay Matthews. Looks like he was more than just Special teams.
ps_wk_1_depth_chart.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wade is getting short again @ OLB'er.....First Okoronkwo just has not been healthy for most all of TC. Second Justin Lawler had surgery on his foot & now news just came out that another OLB will not make the trip to Napa..... Samson Ebukam is out dealing with tightness in his hamstring. Wade had all kinds of injury issues @ OLB'er this time last year too.

https://www.therams.com/news/quotes-notes-rams-preseason-practice-with-raiders

The only healthy reserves now are Trevon Young, Landis Durham & Josh Carraway. For those three it's a great opportunity all they need to do is go out there & perform. DL'ers Morgan Fox & John Franklin- Myers might again end up playing OLB for a while again.

Meanwhile, Wade is overloaded with eight interior LB'ers. He may want to see if any can offer up some versatility to play some outside? Rookie Troy Reeder started four seasons in 44 games. Reeder started @ OLB'er for 3 of the 4 seasons so that @ least one who can do it, but he is not much of a pass rusher. That's why he was moved inside.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
As I've pointed out that depth chart is unofficial and is basically meaningless. As was pointed out Henderson isn't the #5 RB.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams now have a great excuse for putting both Obo & Lawler on the Pup list, then later possibly IR them to keep them around for another shot in 2020. Neither would likely survive as Rams for long being placed on the practice squad. I imagine we'll see just how valuable Wade Phillips considers them going forward, but they are both relatively cheap to keep around. jmo.

Can't do it with Lawler, at least. If they participate in even one practice they are ineligible for the PUP. So Lawler either gets healthy, goes on IR, or as mentioned, gets an injury settlement.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
According to depth chart released today, Lawler was behind Clay Matthews. Looks like he was more than just Special teams.
ps_wk_1_depth_chart.jpg

WTF does the depth chart really mean at this point ?

Ramon Richards will show up in preseason. I also think Trevon Young is underrated . He is a guy that just runs in & out of all rotations. He will make the 53 ?
Just my prediction. He is apart of the JFM gang.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
As I've pointed out that depth chart is unofficial and is basically meaningless. As was pointed out Henderson isn't the #5 RB.

Exactly !! The offensive lineman are just spited in. Pick 3 backups & that is it to make the 53.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It clearly is titled as the "Unofficial Depth Chart"

Some intern could have put that together.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

Yep. Plus "HB" can't adequately describe the different role/function Henderson will likely play, as opposed to Brown, Gurley, etc.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ramon Richards will show up in preseason.

This Ram DB has had some mentions as of late. If I recall bubbarramfan mentioned he was constantly lining up in the 2nd defense. My question was ....at what position:thinking:o_O?

From what I know about Ramon Richards as a DB his best chance to make this Rams team would be @ free safety/Nickle combo. Wade seems to be loaded with strong safety types with starter JJ III, hybrid LB/SS Christian, Top 2019 draft selection Taylor Rapp, Steven Parker & Jake Gervase. Even Weddle can do a great job up close to LOS. Nick Scott is a pure deep safety type a rarity in this secondary. My guess Nick Scott will be RR main competitor in preseason.

RR listed as a CB but his 40 times of 4.60 sec in the 40 & his small size & length would scream Nickle-Back corner only when discussing corner positions. Rams are overloaded with Nickle Backs short on outside corners...starting with outstanding NRC as the starter, the 5-9 Darious Williams, 5-9 159lbs Dont'e Deayon & the 5-10 178lbs Dom Hatfield. RR will have to shine over those three Nickle's.:unsure:

Last edited:

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

OK, than can you tell me who is getting most of the reps with the second unit in training camp?

Ram65

Legend
Wish we would get more info on the injury and surgery.

Lawler was called a baby Connor Barwin by D'Marco Farr last year. He had the similar pass rush moves and needed to put all together. (IIRC) He has a high motor and was someone to watch out for by Farr. Lawler is an underdog with limited athletic ability but, is strong and works hard. Certainly someone you can root for as a special teamer and backup OLBer pass rusher.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This Ram DB has had some mentions as of late. If I recall bubbarramfan mentioned he was constantly lining up in the 2nd defense. My question was ....at what position:thinking:o_O?

From what I know about Ramon Richards as a DB his best chance to make this Rams team would be @ free safety/Nickle combo. Wade seems to be loaded with strong safety types with starter JJ III, hybrid LB/SS Christian, Top 2019 draft selection Taylor Rapp, Steven Parker & Jake Gervase. Even Weddle can do a great job up close to LOS. Nick Scott is a pure deep safety type a rarity in this secondary. My guess Nick Scott will be RR main competitor in preseason.

RR listed as a CB but his 40 times of 4.60 sec in the 40 & his small size & length would scream Nickle-Back corner only when discussing corner positions. Rams are overloaded with Nickle Backs short on outside corners...starting with outstanding NRC as the starter, the 5-9 Darious Williams, 5-9 159lbs Dont'e Deayon & the 5-10 178lbs Dom Hatfield. RR will have to shine over those three Nickle's.:unsure:

I think they had him at SS ? Maybe it was Nickleback ?? He is behind Christian??

Ready to watch some preseason games, but now I’m thinking I’m stewed because of DTV.
I like to record the games & rewatch. So even if I get the games another way I still can’t record.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think they had him at SS ? Maybe it was Nickleback ?? He is behind Christian??

Ready to watch some preseason games, but now I’m thinking I’m stewed because of DTV.
I like to record the games & rewatch. So even if I get the games another way I still can’t record.

Did you notice Christian coming into camp trimmed way down? He looked considerably thinner than seasons past. MC has shown many times he has concrete bricks for hands. The flip side he is an excellent tackler & bring the hit. I am really surprised to see that he has been getting huge amounts of work as one of our deep safeties. Most of his defensive snaps (and he had a ton) came when we he was the third safety playing the hybrid LB/SS position in Wade's defense.

Watching Preseason games is a major treat for me I enjoy them so much. That's the main reason I still maintain my Direct TV & the NFL Ticket account I know its costly but the Rams are worth it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Did you notice Christian coming into camp trimmed way down? He looked considerably thinner than seasons past. MC has shown many times he has concrete bricks for hands. The flip side he is an excellent tackler & bring the hit. I am really surprised to see that he has been getting huge amounts of work as one of our deep safeties. Most of his defensive snaps (and he had a ton) came when we he was the third safety playing the hybrid LB/SS position in Wade's defense.

Watching Preseason games is a major treat for me I enjoy them so much. That's the main reason I still maintain my Direct TV & the NFL Ticket account I know its costly but the Rams are worth it.

I can always watch it later or at the bar. The thing is the local games will be blacked out live & I think CBS has the rights. I can all games except the local games I believe. That is the way MLB works. The NFL is even stricter ??
I can get the preseason off nfl network at a later date.

If you have the package I don’t know what games you get. I’ll take it as it goes ,& try to watch the best I can. Usually when the season starts, my posting goes down. It’s all about the off season. The NFL is tough. This Arizona QB is going to be good. He walked away from his MLB contract & he has a heck of an arm. Speed & poised.
Go Rams !!