Rams OL Jamil Demby’s battle for playing time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Rams OL Jamil Demby’s battle for playing time
Bret Stuter

The LA Rams 2019 experiences with the offensive line have lowered the expectations for 2020. Through all the conversations, both then and now, offensive lineman Jamil Demby awaits his turn at NFL stardom. After all, he was one of three offensive linemen drafted in the 2018 NFL Draft. The other two were offensive tackle Joseph Noteboom and center Brian Allen.

Demby was selected as the 192nd player from that draft. He hails from the University of Maine, and his 6-foot-5 325-pound frame is certainly right in line with that of a typical NFL offensive lineman. And while he arrived from the offensive tackle spot, offensive line coach Aaron Kromer had a strong endorsement of Demby in 2019. All the while, Demby became that “jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none” offensive lineman for the Rams.

Jamil of all trades

View: https://twitter.com/camdasilva/status/1138511277477826560?s=20

So as the floor dropped out for the Rams on the offensive line, Demby was called into some spot action. He played in six games in 2019 and started one game. That one start happened in the September 23, 2019 contest against the Cleveland Browns. The Rams won that game 20-13. It was the first and only start for Demby, as the Rams promoted rookie David Edwards to take over at right guard the following week.

From start to finish, in one game?

Jamil Demby’s versatility made him the first player off the bench whenever a teammate fell to injury. And multiple injuries occurred in 2019. That certainly complicated his role, and his performance, throughout the season.

View: https://twitter.com/LindseyThiry/status/1175947189992009730?s=20

Demby emergency OL service very busy in 2019

Demby also stepped in for Joseph Noteboom at left guard against the San Francisco 49ers. But the following week, he was back to the bench as the Rams tapped David Edwards to start at left guard. The reason he saw only flashes of playing time? He did not play well enough with his opportunities. While he remains on the Rams roster, for now, this is clearly where his NFL career forks.

The Rams gave Jamil Demby enough exposure to each of five offensive line positions to create a player capable of suiting up and entering the game at any position. Not to start at any role, but simply to shore up the offensive line until a player could be prepared to take over in the following week. So it’s really not fair to hold the bar so high for the young man who was never designed to fill a starting role for the team.

All hope is not lost

Circumstances for 2019 were not exactly ideal for the Rams for any offensive lineman, and most certainly not for a generalist offensive lineman like Demby. He saw action at both left and right guard over the span of just several weeks. That’s a whirlwind of assignments, and it was made no easier from the no-warning advance warning that he would be entering the game.

In short, he was the donut for the Rams offensive line. A temporary player for all five positions, but not intended to be in any one role for any length of time. In the Rams design, he did everything that was asked of him. He gave the Rams exactly what they asked of him. He was their emergency patch kit for the offensive line, no matter where an injury occurred. It should not be his responsibility that the Rams injuries ran at almost every position on the offensive line.

Make a wish, birthday boy!

Today is Jamil Demby’s birthday, and he turns the ripe old age of 24. As the Rams try to retain order and progress in a season gone mad, Demby’s experience and training at all five NFL positions have never been more valuable or needed.

At age 24, his NFL career remains in his windshield, most of it lies in front of him. That future will not always be trying to maintain a starting proficiency for five different offensive line positions.

Flashes of brilliance coming more frequently

Like most of the LA Rams offensive linemen, the starting experience earned at great cost in 2019 now holds even greater value in 2020. Demby saw his first actual NFL action in 2019, one start and playing time in six games. That serves as the basis for workouts, virtual training, and working towards improving this season. Learning requires failing at something. It’s only through adversity, getting something wrong, that we eventually learn to get it right.

Aaron Kromer is a prestigious offensive line coach in the NFL, and his endorsement for Jamil Demby is still valid. The Rams cannot fault the kid with his finger in the dike when there are too many holes to plug. In short, the Rams packed lunch but had to stretch it to cover a week’s worth of meals. Demby was simply stretched in far too many directions to be effective last year.

What a difference a season makes

While other NFL teams are trying to explain to rookie offensive linemen just what the NFL football experience is all about, the LA Rams have 13 of 15 offensive linemen who know first hand. And while 31 other teams are trying to create virtual scenarios to feature, highlight, and train, the LA Rams offensive linemen are working with last year’s footage, last year’s misfortunes, and this year’s training of how to improve.

There are no guarantees for the LA Rams nor for Jamil Demby. Demby cannot reserve a roster spot or playing time for the season. Nor can the Rams charge Demby for a no-show if he doesn’t deliver well enough to earn a roster spot in 2020. But I cannot end this article without admitting to cheering a little more loudly for blue-collar roll-up-the-sleeves players. Jamil Demby is all about putting in the effort, no matter what is asked of him. Hopefully, it all pays off in 2020.

MachS

Hall of Fame
8367d0bd0fbee3c88aff77e87507227e.jpg

Ram65

Legend
1592747734782.png

I hope Demby can surprise us all by showing great improvement. It seems like a long shot.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Loved this kid coming out of Maine, thought he had tremendous upside with his length and knew the Rams liked him as they interviewed him at the Senior Bowl, where Demby shined and the Los Angeles Rams tend to focus heavily on Senior Bowl Players.

The Rams even hired Demby's Offensive Coordinator at the Unversity of Maine in Liam Cohen (now Assistant QB Coach) so when they drafted Demby all seemed right. Demby did not look great in Training Camp and was mediocre at best in preseason, but most felt (including yours truly) a year on the pine would suit him well, however, the Rams released Demby just prior to the 2018 season with the thought of sneaking him on the practice squad, but the Detroit Lions Claimed Demby off waivers and most of us, thought he was gone.

Vincent Bonsignore (now covering the Raiders) reported that Demby getting away really hurt the Rams as they were hoping to keep him and thought highly of him. Then the Lions released Demby and added him to the practice squad, which shocked me because the Rams wanted to add Demby to their practice squad too after his release from the Lions after a couple of weeks, but Demby chose to stay with Detroit because his former position coach at Maine was an assistant with the Lions, plus he was closer to home and again, it just seemed like it was not meant to be.

Then in Detroit when the skies of November turn gloomy in Southern California the Rams had an injury and an opening on their 53 man roster, they signed Demby off of the Lion practice squad and the Lions did not have an opening on their's so Demby was a Los Angeles Ram again and it seemed like a great story as the Rams thought highly enough to keep tabs on him and adding Demby that late in the seasoned, ensured he would be on the roster in 2019 where the Rams knew there would some changes on the offensive line.

So everything was set up for Jamil Demby, Noteboom & Brian Allen were the new starters and Jamil Demby would be the 6th Offensive LInemen off the bench plus was getting a steady dose of tutelage at all positions on the Offensive Line, plays Guard, Tackle & Center. Problem was, Demby seemed not quick enough at Tackle, was overpowered at Guard and when moved to Center, it was a complete disaster and that was just in preseason. It was downright scary bringing back memories of Dewayne White & Leo Goeas of yesteryear.

Every preseason game I kept thinking, surely Demby would improve, but eventually I just had to admit to this point, the Black Bear Alum seemed overwhelmed and I even wondered if he would even make the team with the additions of David Edwards & Bobby Evans, but Demby did make the final 53 and my hope was that maybe asking Demby to learn all the position, including Center was too much to ask and that led to him not showcasing so well in preseason, but my hope is that we would not see Demby in 2019 and reevaluate in the preseason of 2020.

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry as did keeping Demby on the bench, with an injury was thrust into starting against the Cleveland Browns the Rams won the game, but they won in spite of Demby, who struggled with penalties and pass protection. My feeling was I didn't want Demby to be an epic fail and he wasn't, but every snap I held my breath and IMO so did Head Coach Sean McVay.

After the game and needing a replacement for Joe Noteboom, Head Coach Sean McVay was asked if Jamil Demby would be the permanent starter and I could tell by McVay's reaction and response they wanted somebody else and that somebody else was David Edwards. That's how bad Demby was, the Rams opted for a rookie in Edwards over him and they were right, Edwards was far more ready as the game did not seem too big for Edwards, who had some tough moments too, but certainly did not turn every snap into an adventure.

Now maybe Demby could shock us, but with limited opportunities with training camp & preseason in jeopardy, regardless, what the NFL says. And with the additions of Tremayne Anchrum & the play of Chandler Brewer, one would surmise that Jamil Demby's time as a Ram is limited and although I was once his greatest ally, I am now not convinced that Demby has the makeup to not even be an eventual starter, but also would not be worthy of a roster spot to be a bonafide backup at this level.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Loved this kid coming out of Maine, thought he had tremendous upside with his length and knew the Rams liked him as they interviewed him at the Senior Bowl, where Demby shined and the Los Angeles Rams tend to focus heavily on Senior Bowl Players.

The Rams even hired Demby's Offensive Coordinator at the Unversity of Maine in Liam Cohen (now Assistant QB Coach) so when they drafted Demby all seemed right. Demby did not look great in Training Camp and was mediocre at best in preseason, but most felt (including yours truly) a year on the pine would suit him well, however, the Rams released Demby just prior to the 2018 season with the thought of sneaking him on the practice squad, but the Detroit Lions Claimed Demby off waivers and most of us, thought he was gone.

Vincent Bonsignore (now covering the Raiders) reported that Demby getting away really hurt the Rams as they were hoping to keep him and thought highly of him. Then the Lions released Demby and added him to the practice squad, which shocked me because the Rams wanted to add Demby to their practice squad too after his release from the Lions after a couple of weeks, but Demby chose to stay with Detroit because his former position coach at Maine was an assistant with the Lions, plus he was closer to home and again, it just seemed like it was not meant to be.

Then in Detroit when the skies of November turn gloomy in Southern California the Rams had an injury and an opening on their 53 man roster, they signed Demby off of the Lion practice squad and the Lions did not have an opening on their's so Demby was a Los Angeles Ram again and it seemed like a great story as the Rams thought highly enough to keep tabs on him and adding Demby that late in the seasoned, ensured he would be on the roster in 2019 where the Rams knew there would some changes on the offensive line.

So everything was set up for Jamil Demby, Noteboom & Brian Allen were the new starters and Jamil Demby would be the 6th Offensive LInemen off the bench plus was getting a steady dose of tutelage at all positions on the Offensive Line, plays Guard, Tackle & Center. Problem was, Demby seemed not quick enough at Tackle, was overpowered at Guard and when moved to Center, it was a complete disaster and that was just in preseason. It was downright scary bringing back memories of Dewayne White & Leo Goeas of yesteryear.

Every preseason game I kept thinking, surely Demby would improve, but eventually I just had to admit to this point, the Black Bear Alum seemed overwhelmed and I even wondered if he would even make the team with the additions of David Edwards & Bobby Evans, but Demby did make the final 53 and my hope was that maybe asking Demby to learn all the position, including Center was too much to ask and that led to him not showcasing so well in preseason, but my hope is that we would not see Demby in 2019 and reevaluate in the preseason of 2020.

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry as did keeping Demby on the bench, with an injury was thrust into starting against the Cleveland Browns the Rams won the game, but they won in spite of Demby, who struggled with penalties and pass protection. My feeling was I didn't want Demby to be an epic fail and he wasn't, but every snap I held my breath and IMO so did Head Coach Sean McVay.

After the game and needing a replacement for Joe Noteboom, Head Coach Sean McVay was asked if Jamil Demby would be the permanent starter and I could tell by McVay's reaction and response they wanted somebody else and that somebody else was David Edwards. That's how bad Demby was, the Rams opted for a rookie in Edwards over him and they were right, Edwards was far more ready as the game did not seem too big for Edwards, who had some tough moments too, but certainly did not turn every snap into an adventure.

Now maybe Demby could shock us, but with limited opportunities with training camp & preseason in jeopardy, regardless, what the NFL says. And with the additions of Tremayne Anchrum & the play of Chandler Brewer, one would surmise that Jamil Demby's time as a Ram is limited and although I was once his greatest ally, I am now not convinced that Demby has the makeup to not even be an eventual starter, but also would not be worthy of a roster spot to be a bonafide backup at this level.
I think it’s going to be really hard for him to make the roster. Last year, I thought he’d have a chance, if he added much needed strength, but I saw no improvement in that area last year. I don’t see it, especially with the rooks from last year, getting that pro strengthening regime.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Demby has excellent physical measures plus strong 11-inch hands. He was outstanding @ the 2018 Senior Bowl too. He did not get an opportunity to play in any Rams games after being drafted cut & then resigned in 2018. Demby's big chance came in TC of 2019. As the article mentions in 2019 preseason Demby played everywhere on the Ol & just looked terrible everywhere too. When the Rams ended TC/Preseason Snead/Kromers top reserve as the 6th OL'er was Jamil Demby.

Very early Demby replaced Blythe @ RG for 1 full gm & 3/4 quarters of the another. That playing exhibition @ RG was a serious downgrade from Blythe @ RG. Blythe looked like an all pro next to Demby. After the above it sure appeared to me that Kromer wanted the degraded injured Blythe inserted back into the starting lineup @ RG ASAP. When Blythe came onto the field to start he was noticeably limping.

No worry Demby got another chance to start with the terrible bad injury to Noteboom @ starting LG. He replaced Noteboom & the OL went into total shutdown. Demby's back up performance when Noteboom went down was so atrocious that he never suited up for another game. The following week Demby lost out to rookie David Edwards. Then when Brian Allen was injured newly arrived Corbett & Edwards became the starting OG's. Chandler Brewer & Coleman Shelton beat him out as a game day dressed OL'ers. Demby played in five of Los Angeles' first six games & was never seen again.

Demby could not produce when crunch time came when the opportunities in pre-season & early regular season came. Jamil Demby's 2019 performance ratings from PFF was Demby 27.6

Psycho_X

Legend
All I know is he was a disaster last season when he played. I'd need to see some serious improvements to ever be happy seeing him walking back onto the field in horns.

Ram65

Legend

I see your point that the Rams will need bodies at LT for camp. Demby might be better off working at one spot. I thought Edwards would be quick enough to play LT but, I guess he should stay at OG. He might be moved over to LG.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Maybe I give up too quickly but I'm ready for the Rams to move on from Demby. Im not impressed with him at all. I'd prefer to see one of the of the newer guys play instead.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
So now he can fail at all five o-line positions. McVay has some high expectations.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think he's good enough or that he can overcome his limitations. Would not have stood pat on the OL either. But it's what the Rams did so who knows maybe we get lucky with a couple guys really stepping up.

Rooting for the guy in spite of my reservations as always. (y)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't think he's good enough or that he can overcome his limitations. Would not have stood pat on the OL either. But it's what the Rams did so who knows maybe we get lucky with a couple guys really stepping up.

Rooting for the guy in spite of my reservations as always. (y)

still young & has NFL experience, still has upside. I think he is a NFL OG. Time will tell weather it is with The Rams are not. Geicko has a long NFL career & sort of reminds me of a typical journey man like the article stated.
Reservations now a days haven’t been a thing of late. Hope we can all get out & socialize again.Hope your Fathers Day treated you well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think your way off on Demby being a

I think your way off of Demby being a OT at all. I think he is a pure guard that still has upside. He needs to improve on foot speed & strength.
He hasn’t been seen in awhile,but Brewer came in for Evans at RT. Evans will be the swing tackle.
As I’ve said all along Noteboom will not play in 2020.Whitworths contract pretty much summed that up.I doubt his career only becauses of how he talked about his injury.Sort of sucks The Rams(writers) don’t give Fans a true update on his health.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
As a former defender of Demby who predicted him to be drafted by us? I think he's the first cut on the O-line. He's just...not good.