Rams offseason wrap-up/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams offseason wrap-up
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/8622/rams-grading-the-offseason

With free agency and the draft in the rearview mirror and training camp just a couple months away, we assess the St. Louis Rams' offseason moves.

Best move: The Rams bolstered both lines in the first round of the draft by selection offensive tackle Greg Robinson and defensive tackle Aaron Donald. The two picks weren't flashy but flashy doesn't get it done in the NFC West division. To survive in that neighborhood, you have to control the line of scrimmage. Robinson and Donald profile as the draft's best prospects at their positions, which should give the Rams a chance to have two elite long-term difference-makers, something they lack aside from end Robert Quinn.

Riskiest move: Although it could also qualify as the team's best move if it works out, signing offensive lineman Rodger Saffold to a five-year deal worth more than $31 million comes with its share of inherent risk. The deal didn't come with a ton of guaranteed money but the price is still a bit high given Saffold's injury history. Saffold has Pro Bowl potential as a guard, the position he'll play moving forward but above all, he needs to stay healthy to make the deal worthwhile for the Rams.

Most surprising move: Most of the Rams' offseason unfolded as expected. They said they weren't going to be very active in free agency and they weren't. They said they were going to stick with quarterback Sam Bradford and they did. They didn't make any moves that really qualified as a surprise but there were a couple of moves they didn't make that could. For example, not drafting a quarterback earlier than the sixth round. Or not adding a veteran defensive back in free agency, even a lower cost one. There's a lot of trust and hope being placed in young players to take a step forward for this team to improve on its consecutive seven-win seasons.

Enough offense? The Rams bolstered the offensive line by choosing Robinson, retaining Saffold and adding running back Tre Mason in the third round. These moves should allow them to grind away in the run game as much as they want. But they didn't do anything substantial in terms of adding play makers on the outside. Kenny Britt was the lone addition of note among pass catchers and the Rams seem willing to bet that he can bounce back and/or their young receiver corps will take a step forward in 2014. There's no defined formula for winning in the NFL so it's feasible the Rams can win with a strong rushing attack and stout defense but it remains to be seen whether either of those areas are strong enough to overcome their division foes. If they aren't they'll need some magic from receivers coach Ray Sherman and his young charges.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I'm getting to the point where I am laughing at the media. They've tried so hard to create anything that would seem like a controversy w/ our QB situation. And now they try to throw out (as many before them have....) about us taking a QB "much later" than we might have. But look at the whole class of QBs this year. After seeing where they were drafted kind of leads me to believe the media was over valueing them. Only the big 3 in the 1st. (And all might start eventually this year....). 2 in the 2nd (Carr might get a look but Gralopharo [sp...] is going to sit...). None in the 3rd. 2 in the 4th (both projects...). 2 in the 5th (and while both were well regarded, one of them was spouting off about going in the "first 36" of the draft.....). And we along w/ 4 other teams got ours in the 6th. (None were taken in the 7th...).
Now I am very happy w/ the way we drafted. And it seems we got some very good valued picks out of the draft.....so pray tell where we were going to change a pick to get a QB earlier?

I guess you got to print something to make people believe your job is needed...whether it actually is valid is a seperate matter...

(Note: In no way is this aimed @ Rambill....he works his butt off to bring us news of the Rams and it's very appreciated.....I just thought I would tackle one of those "lingering question" thingies that they love to throw out....)