Rams offseason analysis: Tight ends

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.dailynews.com/2018/02/15/los-angeles-rams-offseason-analysis-tight-ends/

Los Angeles Rams offseason analysis: Tight ends
By RICH HAMMOND

1127_ldn-l-rams-15.jpg

Los Angeles Rams tight end Tyler Higbee, left, looks to avoid New Orleans Saints free safety Marcus Williams during an NFL game at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, November 26, 2017. (John Valenzuela/Daily News/SCNG)

There seemed to be only one certainty about the Rams’ offense going into the 2017 season, that the tight ends would thrive under Coach Sean McVay, who adored the position as offensive coordinator in Washington.

It didn’t work out. While the Rams turned running back Todd Gurley into a masterful receiver and got more than expected out of receiver Robert Woods, the tight ends faded to the background and caught a total of only 49 passes (out of a team total of 320) and three touchdowns (out of 28).

There’s still plenty of reason for optimism, because the Rams have three tight ends who are young, talented and versatile.

The question this offseason might be, will the Rams complement that group with a new veteran? As part of an ongoing series, here’s an in-depth glance at the Rams’ situation at tight end:

2017 STARTERS: Tyler Higbee (25 receptions, 295 yards, one touchdown).

RESERVES: Gerald Everett (16 receptions, 244 yards, two touchdowns), Derek Carrier (8 receptions, 71 yards, 0 touchdowns).

PENDING FREE AGENTS: Carrier.

GRADING 2017

Everett, the Rams’ second-round draft pick, got some attention at the start of training camp when he opined that he and Higbee could be as good as the talented Washington tight-end duo of Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis.

It didn’t work out. Higbee, for a second consecutive year, looked strong in camp, and perhaps on the verge of a breakout, but then caught only 25 passes for 295 yards and one touchdown.

Everett had an intriguing, boom-or-bust rookie season. He totaled 244 receiving yards, but 152 of those yards came on three catches. Listed at 6-foot-3, 245 points, Everett displayed an impressive variety of skills but couldn’t consistently remain a part of the Rams’ attack.

The Rams brought in veteran Derek Carrier, who knew McVay’s system from Washington, and Carrier was reliable and made a handful of nice catches. GRADE: B-

ANALYZING 2018

It’s time to find out about these guys. Everett seems to have the highest ceiling, and if he can improve his consistency, he should become a significant downfield threat for quarterback Jared Goff.

Higbee is more of a question mark. He’s been solid but far from spectacular, even though he seems to have great rapport with Goff. Higbee ended his 2016 rookie season well and had some good moments early in 2017 but then faded and played a small role in the offense late in the season.

The wild card is Temarrick Hemingway, who broke his leg in a preseason game and missed the entire season. He’s another playmaker, in the mold of Everett, but the question is whether he can offer anything different that would justify a roster spot.

It’s highly doubtful that the Rams would use another draft pick on a tight end. Carrier, who is only 27 years old, easily could return in the same role he filled in 2017, or the Rams could look for a slight upgrade on the free-agent market. LEVEL OF NEED: LOW

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Examining Tight Ends, eh Prime Time?:shocking:

Not that there's anything WRONG with that!:sneak:

Yeah, I've never seen a great Ram's TE in my life and I'm dang old, so...It's like trying to find that Leperchaun and his pot of gold....wonder if it/they exist?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Yeah, I've never seen a great Ram's TE in my life and I'm dang old, so...It's like trying to find that Leperchaun and his pot of gold....wonder if it/they exist?

I think there is an over reaction on the postion.I could be wrong ?

This is when everyone wants to build there All Pro fantasy team. Truth is that is all it is !!

I’ll be on the record once again , but not stating the Big 5 . As I say that though The Rams need to bring in a stud lineman , resign Brown or Havenstein?
Roger I think will resign for a fair market price. Only to have one OL man signed through 2019 is gamble that Snead(Demoff) already lost when drafting all those DB’s & having JJ ,McLoud wall & having to franchise Tru to a 2 year $32 million deal basically.

The TE position is McVays & Waldrons baby.They will develop the position. Higbee Took huge strides in the season.
Everett got humbled , but will show huge strides in 2018.

There is a TE who The Rams like as well in Johnny Mundt. He had some nice games during the preseason.I look to see him compete for a roster spot.

For anyone who thinks this is not a ascending unit, & a cap saving position this season I challenge ?

The Rams are being built as we vs me family type organization. McVay is going to build within. Getting better everyday.

These guys are already getting there mind set for next season.Last offseason everything was new. The improvement from year one to year too is going to be big.
Jared Goff is connected to the hip with McVay.They know what the goal is ,
are going to strive for it.Higbee & Goff roomed together, & have built a solid friendship.
When Higbee got to The RMs he went through a lot.He has had his issues catching the ball at times, but I have confidence in him.He is turning into a real solid player.These guys were asked to protect & block for Gurley as well.
— McVay & Waldron might look to create more opportunities for them.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Have you ever been bull-rushed by an NFL defensive end? You have to block linemen who are stronger than you, and fake out defensive backs who are quicker than you.The tight end position is, probably after quarterback, the hardest position to play.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m in the camp of those favoring the development of our existing TE corps. Save those valuable FA cap dollars for other positions of need. Heaven knows that they are numerous.

Everett flashed and seems to have amazing potential. I predict a big step up for him under McVay in this O.

And don’t go to sleep on Hemingway. I suspect that he’s in McVay’s ‘18 plans in a big way.

Higbee? I just dunno. I’m now thinking that “solid” might be his ceiling. We’ll see.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TE could be upgraded for sure. Don't think Higbee is the future.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Gisecki is gonna be a stud but I’m good with being a little more patient with the TE position, especially with Everett. Higbee has to put up or shut up this year for sure.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
My general observations....
- All seemed to struggle to create lasting separation in the passing game. Having said that, it also appeared as though they were the 3rd or 4th read most of the time at best.
- Blocking improved over the course of the year but they collectively still have a ways to go to help the team take the next step.
- Some of this will also be on Goff...As he gets better he'll more quickly see his 3rd and 4th reads. When that happens, separation created early in the route can be taken advantage of.

Outside of Carrier, these guys are young (and Carrier is only 27), so to the team should work to develop them. They got to the playoffs with them. Assuming they grow as most 2nd and 3rd year players do, we should be fine for 2018.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The tight end position is, probably after quarterback, the hardest position to play.
Offensive tackle(s)....2nd hardest...TE is up there tho....
As mentioned in another thread, D'Marco Farr feels the TE position needs the most improvement.
No way they should receive a "B-" grade then, huh?

It's tough to play the position undersized....We seem to use a lot of ex-wr types....who can't block. That's the main problem with Everett and Higbee....not physical enough....

Of course...IMO.;)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Develop the guys we have. I would say this for just about every position room on offense. Continuity and embedding these guys in the system is key.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
No offense to anyone but I'm just tired of seeing the following terms used during the off season when describing our TE"s......flashed...possible breakout year...potential....developement...has the size.....should be better/more comfortable in system this year....solid, etc, etc. I want a dynamic TE who dominates dann it!! And I want it now! Not next year. Now now now! So there.

I say we at least consider Graham who finished the year dominating the red zone. See where his head is at and if Sean thinks he's a fit. They can still develop the young guys but adding Graham would force the defense to adjust when he's on the field. If you had Watkins, woods, kupp, Gurley and Graham in formation, the defense is in trouble. You're blowing off the top of the secondary with Sammy while woods and kupp take their precise routes intermediate and underneath. Gurley can being screening, going underneath or a draw play leaving Graham as a wild card. Good nite defense. Thanks for coming out. Theres a gift basket at the door.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
No desire to change the TE group for me.

I agree, these guys are both very young and they flashed a lot last year. Everette started out fast and ended up slow but that's to be expected. I think these guys will hit their stride this year.

Ram65

Legend
Higbee has to get better on the contested catches/drops. He made some nice catches late in the year. His blocking got better. Let's see what he does this year.

Everett was a bit of a disappointment. He has to get more physical against coverage. I think he steps up this year.

Hemingway is still a mystery.

You can't completely discount getting Jimmy Graham. He would be another weapon Rams need.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not that the TE group can't be upgraded - they can.

However, they are young and likely to improve on their own anyway. A bigger factor in no major moves being likely though is the limited resources. The Rams have limited cap room and do not have a second rounder. It's more important imo to keep certain free agents, and to upgrade CB, Edge Rusher, NT and add quality depth to the OL. Unless somebody McVay really covets falls much farther than expected, only TE addition I could see as likely would be a value blocking TE.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
It's not that the TE group can't be upgraded - they can.

However, they are young and likely to improve on their own anyway. A bigger factor in no major moves being likely though is the limited resources. The Rams have limited cap room and do not have a second rounder. It's more important imo to keep certain free agents, and to upgrade CB, Edge Rusher, NT and add quality depth to the OL. Unless somebody McVay really covets falls much farther than expected, only TE addition I could see as likely would be a value blocking TE.
The Rams have about $45 million in cap room among their top 51 roster spots, according to spotrac. That's 10th most in the league. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As mentioned in another thread, D'Marco Farr feels the TE position needs the most improvement.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1rmxPmaBWnYKN

Demarco is seeing things clearly. The offensive inability to run 12 personnel without taking it easy on the defense is a problem. McVay's history demonstrates higher usage and potency, and he even mentioned that personnel grouping after the season.

There is no way McVay is content to stand pat with Higbee stretching the seam. Worst case scenario they might have to stand pat at the position, if they strike out on some FA options, but I think they're going to try to improve that group and add a guy who can stretch the seam to pair with Everett in year 2 as a legimate weapon who will break tackles and be a nice target for Goff. Add someone at the top who can do that, and all of a sudden Higs looks real good as 3 on the depth chart as he came a long way in his blocking last year.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

It's been a long time, but we did have a few good TE's;
* Marlin McKeever
* Billy Truax
* Bob Klein
* Ernie Conwell
* Roland Williams ( GSOT Days)
But not much since! ( I'm Older!! LOL):D

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams have about $45 million in cap room among their top 51 roster spots, according to spotrac. That's 10th most in the league. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

They also have AD to extend. I would much rather they do it now, than wait until the last minute. That's just me, though. And while they could cut Quinn or Barron, doing so would open another hole or two requiring either spending to fill or precious draft picks.

I'm assuming that they will be spending some on CBs (as well as using a high draft pick). They will likely be drafting or signing an edge rusher as it is, even before taking Quinn into account. They need to start adding depth to the OL, before it suddenly goes from a strength to a drag on the team. Another NT would be nice. Watkins needs to be signed, or a replacement found. TEs can be upgraded, but they have multiple young and youngish players there already, and especially with Everett it is not uncommon for 2nd year TEs to take a step forward. It's just not as high a priority as other positions.