Rams officially awarded compensatory picks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
That premium pick they aquired comes at a heavy price. It cost us our #1 corner so it's not like it's a pick we got for nothing. Heavy price was paid in my opinion.

What do you mean it cost us a #1 corner?

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
Let's not act like not having a first and the extra third don't hurt. If Goff turns it around it will be worth it, if not it sets the team back.

We didn't trade all our draft picks but we did trade a lot of premium picks.

No one would argue that we paid in draft capitol. We certainly spent some quality picks for the 1 QB.

What I'm commenting on is that so many analysts, fans of other teams, media-members, etc. have been falling on the talking point that the Rams gave everything away for Goff. And yet, here they are with a full cabinet of Draft Picks the next year (albeit minus an important number 1). Certainly, there's compensating that needs to be done, in terms of bringing in Free Agents, developing that QB, and developing the team around him, but it's already pretty clear that we've got plenty of young players, young talent, and nothing else looming over us following this year.

IMO: If you draft well, it doesn't matter how many picks you have; if you draft poorly it doesn't matter how many picks you have. If Goff is an exceptional player at his position, it's a great pick, great trade. If he's not, then it's not, and it wasn't.

But the Rams sure look like they've got a future right now. And that QB they picked #1 appears to have played a role in attracting our coach and his staff.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
As a poster or two have mentioned prior, it irks me that stupid media pundits all pitch the same notion that we "overpaid" to trade up.

Here's my response to one of those idiots...

View: https://twitter.com/jumosq/

Edit: not sure how to add my direct quote but I'm bigbry55 and I own him.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
What do you mean it cost us a #1 corner?
I'm referring to the 3rd comp pick we got this this year that goes to Tennessee. Guy's are acting like if that pick didn't cost us anything so losing it to the Titans is no big deal. The problem is we lost Jenkins and have nothing to show for it. My opinion hasn't change since the day we made that trade. If Goff looked good I wouldn't care because a franchise QB is priceless. The problem is Goff looked awful and that worries me. I know Fisher sucked on the offensive side of the ball. He also sucked at drafting Offensive players so him picking Goff doesn't fill me with confidence.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He also sucked at drafting Offensive players so him picking Goff doesn't fill me with confidence.

Well, it should fill you with confidence that McVay, LaFleur, Olson, and Wade Phillips all picked Goff. ;)

Additionally, rumors were that Hue Jackson and Jason Garrett both wanted to pick Goff.

If that still doesn't fill you with confidence, I know this will. Jrry32 wanted to pick Goff.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As a poster or two have mentioned prior, it irks me that stupid media pundits all pitch the same notion that we "overpaid" to trade up.

Lay off Justis, he's a good dude. He's not like the typical media douchenozzle. I've had plenty of disagreements with him over the years, but he's a humble dude. And he's worked hard to earn what he has.

He's dead wrong on Goff, but that's his right.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Well, it should fill you with confidence that McVay, LaFleur, Olson, and Wade Phillips all picked Goff. ;)

Additionally, rumors were that Hue Jackson and Jason Garrett both wanted to pick Goff.

If that still doesn't fill you with confidence, I know this will. Jrry32 wanted to pick Goff.
You might have written it in blue font but because I do value your opinion very highly when it comes to draft prospects it does make me feel better.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm referring to the 3rd comp pick we got this this year that goes to Tennessee. Guy's are acting like if that pick didn't cost us anything so losing it to the Titans is no big deal. The problem is we lost Jenkins and have nothing to show for it. My opinion hasn't change since the day we made that trade. If Goff looked good I wouldn't care because a franchise QB is priceless. The problem is Goff looked awful and that worries me. I know Fisher sucked on the offensive side of the ball. He also sucked at drafting Offensive players so him picking Goff doesn't fill me with confidence.

I get it you hate the trade. It didn't cost us a #1 corner though.

Truth is you can't win in this league without the QB. Let's hope we got the right guy.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I get it you hate the trade. It didn't cost us a #1 corner though.

Truth is you can't win in this league without the QB. Let's hope we got the right guy.
It cost us the compensation for Jenkins and you are correct I didn't like the trade.

jap

Legend
but the rams got their premium qb. and with fisher and his dullard ocs out the way goff has a great chance of making it in this league.

Of course, Jared probably has to unlearn a lot of the crap the Fisher regime filled his head with.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
If Goff is what he was drafted to be; NOBODY will question the amount given.

We didn't have a starting QB. Those are kinda important (y)

(And... we just got his rookie year out of the way. That's another big step when drafting a QB.)
((And we got rid of Jeff Fisher. That's the biggest step when drafting a QB.))

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It cost us the compensation for Jenkins and you are correct I didn't like the trade.

You have me confused here how did it cost us compensation for Jenkins? We received a 3rd round pick for losing Jenkins we didn't lose anything other than a good corner.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Ironically, the fact I wanted Wentz I keep saying to myself "Goff will be fine because @jrry32 was so high on him.";)

tempests

Hall of Fame
I'm referring to the 3rd comp pick we got this this year that goes to Tennessee. Guy's are acting like if that pick didn't cost us anything so losing it to the Titans is no big deal. The problem is we lost Jenkins and have nothing to show for it.

Having a 3rd round pick come back doesn't make up for losing Jenkins but it puts the Rams in a better draft position than they were. It allows them to keep their 69th overall pick and trade the 100th overall pick instead.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Someone please tell me how the seachickens ended up with 2 compensatory picks in the 3rd round.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This was expected. If we got a 3rd for JJ, and a 4th for McLeod, why nothing for that DT....Fairley????

Hell, I figured Darren Bates is worth a 7th.

We will never be sure who the Rams had ranked on their board if they never made the trade in 2016 but we can speculate on the players they missed out on if they never traded up for Goff.

I listed the players drafted within 5 selections of every Rams draft pick they gave away to the Titans.

If the Rams never traded their #15 pick, these were the selections from 15-19 in the 2016 NFL draft

#15 Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
#16 Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State
#17 Keanu Neal, S, Florida
#18 Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama
#19 Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

If the Rams never traded their #43 pick, these were the selections from 43-48 in the 2016 NFL draft

#43 Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State
#44 Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois
#45 Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama
#46 A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama
#47 Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana

If the Rams never traded their #45 Pick, these were the selections from 45-49 in the 2016 NFL draft

#45 Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama
#46 A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama
#47 Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State
#48 Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana
#49 Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama

If the Rams never traded their #76 Pick, these were the selections from 76-80 in the 2016 NFL draft

#76 Shon Coleman, OT, Auburn
#77 Daryl Worley, CB, West Virginia
#78 Joe Thuney, OG, NC State
#79 Isaac Seumalo, OC, Oregon State
#80 Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State
With Ryan Kelly, Jason Spriggs, Mike Thomas (real one), and hell, I'd add Coleman or Isaac Seumalo....I think this is a different team. In fact, I'm sure of it.

My point is.... Unless Goff ends up being a FLOP or Wentz ends up being a Top 10 quarterback the next 10 years, how much better off would the Rams be had they kept their 2016 draft choices by never taking a risk and trading up for one of the top 2 rated quarterbacks named Goff or Wentz?
How much better??? Tough question. But definitely better, and set up for better success later. Love the work here Florida.

Would the Rams have been able to get a franchise QB with the #5 or # 100 picks in the 2017 draft?
With the 5th, I'd guess we could have gotten one with the 36th pick too...or whichever pick we would have held in the 2nd round. Shoulda grabbed Hundley years ago. And I really like the QB's coming out in 2018.

Same way....just click on tweet...and then the "more" icon...thingy.