Rams offensive line! Why constantly underwhelming?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Scheme

And a dash of crappy coaching

I consider scheme and coaching to fall under the same umbrella. Good coaches adjust their scheme to the actual players they have on hand and wht their strengths and weaknesses are. Bad coaches try to make their players adjust to the scheme, and end up making both look worse. The 4th and goal play in Detroit was a textbook example of the latter ... the play design has the right guard pulling (and he ran right past the defender that made the tackle) while it has Saffold and GRob cut blocking, which basically negates their strength and power.

The Rams have addressed and prioritized the Oline position again and again. Where have you been?

GRob #2, to the 2015 draft with Rob Havenstein, Jamon Brown, Andrew Donnel, Cody Wichman, and Isaiah Battle, etc.... Are you telling me we missed on all those players? Maybe there is a reason why Snead still has a job and Fisher doesn't. The accumulation of talent wasn't the issue, it was the development of the players we drafted that's the issue.

This^. Especially the bolded part.

The scheme as far as the O line is concerned has been mentioned a few times but good coaches work around their team's deficiencies.

See above. We don't have good coaches on the offensive side of the ball (with the possible exception of Groh). Boras's scheme has been a disaster for this group, it seems to highlight their deficiencies and negate their strengths.

I just hope they haven't developed bad habits to the point that they can't be coached out of them by the next OC/OL coach.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I've seen a couple of guys touch upon it......but the Cowboys are the offensive line version of what we used to be on the defensive line. They have 3 1st rounders, 1 4th rd and one undrafted Free Agent. (he wasn't drafted due to a medical red flag which he moved past......) Not to mention the guy on IR they stole since he wanted to pick his team since there was too much around him before, during and after draft.... Coaching might have some to do w/ it but.......when you have that much from the top of the draft. It's pretty easy to get positive performance out of them. (Now we've drafted tackles high but not guards and centers......)

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Another possible factor: lack of leadership. Johnny Hekker was commenting on the loss of leaders from last year's team, mentioning Long and Laurinaitis but surprisingly also mentioned Garrett Reynolds. Never understood why he was let go, I know Snisher drafted a bunch of young talent but Garrett really seem to know what he was doing and really helped out the other young lineman / rookies.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Another possible factor: lack of leadership. Johnny Hekker was commenting on the loss of leaders from last year's team, mentioning Long and Laurinaitis but surprisingly also mentioned Garrett Reynolds. Never understood why he was let go, I know Snisher drafted a bunch of young talent but Garrett really seem to know what he was doing and really helped out the other young lineman / rookies.
Garret was Placed on IR then released with an injury settlement.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Garret was Placed on IR then released with an injury settlement.
Hekker sounded like Garret could've come back & played. Do you think we're releasing Quinn after his stint on IR?
...actually, I wouldn't put it past the Rams. One can make the case he's injured too much to be effective anymore, & we need a new top-flight DE next to Donald, but c'mon. It's mighty Quinn.
Anyone know where Garret Reynolds is now?
...btw, probably the best investment the Rams can make in the O-line is for Stan to make a custom party bus & host the refs before every game, just like Jerrah does for the 'Boys. Maybe the Inglewood palace can have some perks built in to the ref's changing rooms? pre-game pizza party room???
Or hire a coach who screams at the refs after every play like Carolline in Seattle.