Rams Offensive Line Still A Work In Progress

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nathan Grimm (Twitter: @Nate_Grimm)
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/09/13/ ... -progress/

151653809_10.jpg

In the season opener, the Rams started a priority free agent signing at center and the 33rd overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft starting at left tackle.

What a difference a week makes.

With center Scott Wells on injured reserve and left tackle Rodger Saffold limited at practice, the Rams may be without two-fifths of their opening day starting offensive line. And with guard Rokevious Watkins, who saw a lot of time against the Lions, missing practice due to an ankle injury, the Rams’ offensive line is suddenly being held together by scotch tape.

“We’ll have five up there,” Rams head coach Jeff Fisher said Wednesday. “We’ll kickoff, we’ll have five that we’ve coached up, so they’ll be ready.”

What five remains to be seen. It is speculated that right tackle Barry Richardson would slide over to take Saffold’s spot on the left side. Newly acquired Wayne Hunter would then fill in at right tackle. It’s likely that Robert Turner, who plays both guard and center, will take over for Wells. And if Watkins is unable to go, Quinn Ojinnaka, who was cut by the Rams just a few weeks ago, may start at left guard just days after rejoining the team.

It’s just another day at the office for the veteran Turner.

“That’s what guys up front are called to do,” Turner said. “And I’m not the only guy that does it. We have guys that move around. There are other guys in the league that have done it for years. It helps having a good group of guys that work together. It makes the transition easier. It makes it easier on everybody.”

The Rams faced similar problems in 2011. Saffold was injured in week 10 and missed the rest of the regular season with a torn pectoral muscle. Tackle Jason Smith only started six games due to concussion symptoms. That led to a line that never fully came together and often resulted in quarterback Sam Bradford on the turf.

Turner said nobody in the Rams locker room is panicking over the early misfortune.

“You have that every year with every team,” Turner said. “There’s always going to be injuries, there’s always going to be guys that have to move and adjust.”

Ojinnaka, after being cut a few weeks ago, thought about giving up football altogether before the Rams called him back. The veteran was upset about the release after it caught him by surprise. Before being cut, Ojinnaka had started all four of the Rams’ preseason games. Instead of giving up the game, he now may end up playing a large role in the success of this year’s Rams team.

“I picked up where I left off, so we’ll see what happens,” Ojinnaka said.

Everyone else is curious to see what happens, too.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Looks like Saffold is on track to play this weekend amazingly...

Also, more good news on @Rodger_Saffold ... He was a FULL participant in today's practice after a limited appearance yesterday.

Should help a bit.

Also I wouldnt mind seeing Ojinnaka in there for Rok this week. Im a big supporter of Rok and think he is more talented than Ojinnaka. However I think Ojinnaka is ahead of him mentally. Washington likes to use exotic blitz packages. Lots of opportunities for missed assignments. Let Rok get back to 100% healthy before we reinsert him into the lineup.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:

Also, more good news on @Rodger_Saffold ... He was a FULL participant in today's practice after a limited appearance yesterday.

Should help a bit.

Also I wouldnt mind seeing Ojinnaka in there for Rok this week. Im a big supporter of Rok and think he is more talented than Ojinnaka. However I think Ojinnaka is ahead of him mentally. Washington likes to use exotic blitz packages. Lots of opportunities for missed assignments. Let Rok get back to 100% healthy before we reinsert him into the lineup.
I want Rok to be mentally prepared to play too. But in a different capacity. I want him mentally READY to play. The field looked a little big for him, he didn't look like he expected to play. I hope that he learned a lesson to ALWAYS be prepared to play.

That was his first look at anybody's first defense, and that defense was the Lions. All things considered, he played alright.

I'm with you on the Moose if Roks not ready to go, but it won't be long before Rok will have to play through those things. Nobody is 100% in the NFL.

bluecoconuts

Legend
libertadrocks said:

Should help a bit.

Sounds like it was a bad sprain, heals quickly. Scary as hell when it happens to you, but it doesn't take long to recover. I remember in the Army I had the drivers hatch of a Bradley fall on my head (I was in the seat for the driver while he was getting food, and the hatch fell, hit my head and forced my seat to go from the highest setting to the lowest), and lost feelings in my arms and legs.. They put me on a stretcher, took me to the hospital and I had to get X-Rays and all sorts of things.. Ended up coming back negative and I was released back to my unit later on in the day. The next day I was running around kicking in doors and carrying "wounded" buddies in training, felt good as new.

Saffold might have been something similar.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
libertadrocks said:

Should help a bit.

Sounds like it was a bad sprain, heals quickly. Scary as hell when it happens to you, but it doesn't take long to recover. I remember in the Army I had the drivers hatch of a Bradley fall on my head (I was in the seat for the driver while he was getting food, and the hatch fell, hit my head and forced my seat to go from the highest setting to the lowest), and lost feelings in my arms and legs.. They put me on a stretcher, took me to the hospital and I had to get X-Rays and all sorts of things.. Ended up coming back negative and I was released back to my unit later on in the day. The next day I was running around kicking in doors and carrying "wounded" buddies in training, felt good as new.

Saffold might have been something similar.

By looking at the impact, he compressed his c-spine. That is very painful and scary. It would have been associated with acute pain, tingling, burning, and numbness. It wasn't a very hard impact though, thankfully. I'm sure the muscles in his neck feel like when you wake up with a stiff neck, and if you turn it too quick, it will shoot pain down through his extremities.

I'm an expert on neck pain/injuries. It's an excellent sign that he is already out there. He will probably play on Sunday, or at least be available.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:

Should help a bit.

I want Rok to be mentally prepared to play too. But in a different capacity. I want him mentally READY to play. The field looked a little big for him, he didn't look like he expected to play. I hope that he learned a lesson to ALWAYS be prepared to play.

That was his first look at anybody's first defense, and that defense was the Lions. All things considered, he played alright.

I'm with you on the Moose if Roks not ready to go, but it won't be long before Rok will have to play through those things. Nobody is 100% in the NFL.
I think that was part of it. I don't think Rok thought he was getting in the game, and did not appear ready. He seemed to settle down a bit on the final drive.