Rams offensive coordinator Rob Boras is learning on the job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Steve Dilbeck

http://www.espn.com/blog/st-louis-r...ive-coordinator-rob-boras-learning-on-the-job

There’s a learning curve involved, and not just the one for the rookie quarterback. Rob Boras is making his debut this season as the Los Angeles Rams' offensive coordinator.

i

The Rams believe they have a more talented team than their 7-9 record last season would suggest, though by almost every measure they were the worst offensive team in the NFL.

And there’s only one place to go from the bottom.

Coach Jeff Fisher made a number of adjustments in the offseason, including firing offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti and promoting Boras, their tight ends coach. The title they actually gave Boras, however, was assistant head coach offense. And, for the first time, they added a passing coordinator, Mike Groh.

“We made some hard decisions,” Fisher said. “Changes were necessary.”

So the Rams will open the season with a new offensive coordinator, a new passing-game coordinator and, in all likelihood, a new quarterback. That’s a lot of new for any team. Particularly when the new offensive coordinator has spent most of his career coaching tight ends.

“It’s just like the players,” Boras said. “Every day is a new day. This is my first time going through the training experience. I’d be lying to say I’m not still learning. That’s why we come out and practice. Just like we challenge the players to try and attack that day, as coaches we have to have that same type of mentality.”

Boras, 45, was previously an offensive coordinator at UNLV for former Rams and USC coach John Robinson, so the process is not entirely new to him. Still, there’s going to be a lot of learning on the job going on with the Rams this season.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Boras...I liked Cig too, still feel, much like Schotty, he was hadicapped by poor QB & Line play...But that's the past...I feel the drafting of Higbee & Hemingway was a nod to Boras. Still wonder why they didn't grab that TE outta S. Carolina? The Cook effect? maybe...
I'd rather have a younger guy like Boras..than an older guy like Cig. Curious as to how his Vegas teams performed while he was calling plays? When Randal Cunningham was there, that team was dangerous. the same could be said for Cig while at Fresno...
If he's still humble, and really allows Groh to help, I think this offense could finally get into the 21st century...
It's funny, when Martz was leading the offense, I wondered, where did Vermeil find all this offensive genius?? I had never heard of Martz, but DAMN our offense was taking off...Never before had the Rams been as exciting..NEVER.
Still believe, the best offense is sorta like Fish wants...Powerful running game, which leads to play-action passes....Simple but effective...The short passing game, an extension of the run, westcoast style, reminds me of the damn 9ers with the hated Bill Walsh & the despised Joe fucking Montana. Steve effing Young too...finess...Rams have always been power run:boxing:...deep strike, down the field...with superior athlete's at the receiver position, superior linemen, and a great running back...Rams football, circa 1970's...(y)

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Article is a bit inaccurate. Frank Cignetti was not fired during the off-season, he was let go in December last season and Rob Boras took over the Offensive Coordinator's job at that time, so definitely not debuting this season. He may be debuting "his" offense this season, as too deep into season last year for major change.

Is it that difficult to research your facts before you write something published for the supposed "leader" in sports broadcasting?:banghead: