Rams offense vs Niners defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Harbaugh quote: “We’ve got to stop the run, so we can play with two high safeties or else you have a single high safety on him. He’s going to take his shot and they’re going to be available to him. We’ve got to stop the run.”

We can derive some things from that quote...

1. He is showing some respect to Davis taking shots downfield, concern is clear in that quote.

2. It is a nod to the Rams' weapons, as he notes they'll be available to Davis meaning he expects them to get open.

3. Niners will open the game with 2 safeties deep. I doubt they want to let him take shots at the start.

4. Expect the Rams to run the ball well at the beginning of the game due to the above. If that happens, Davis is going to have a big night.

I expect him to have a big night regardless, even if the Niners sit back in a deep zone. The kid has already shown an ability to work underneath and then take shots when he sees the right matchups.

I am pumped for this game dudes.

209RamsFan

Its gonna come down to what it always boils down to: can we stop them on 3d down, our O vs their D, and our D vs their O.

MFaulk107

The Realness
It also comes down to preventing penalties. In the Eagles game we had waaaay to many to early, and played pretty good too late.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The game will come down to if the Rams can overcome referees extending 49er drives on 3rd down (expect at least 2 "defensive holding") and if they can overcome a negative turnover margin. Rams lead the league in coughing up the ball (20.5% of drives end in turnover, tied worst with the Raiders). 49ers remain the luckiest team in the NFL in receiving gifts (20.4% of opponents' drives end in turnover). Beating the mediocre 49ers is the easy part, it's the refs, luck, and self-stupidity that must be overcome first.

RamzFanz

Damnit
This IS the test. It's the biggest game of the season. If the Rams lose, the season is all but lost and we face a better team the following week.

The Niners' D is no joke. I honestly think it comes down to one simple objective: Keep Davis clean in the pocket!

If they can do that, these Rams can explode. They can't cover the speed and size the Rams will have on the field every passing play. So many talented and explosive targets.

Statistically, the Rams DOMINATED the Eagles. If they had kept Davis clean, it would have been a blowout of mega proportions. It was the fumbles and penalties that killed the Rams.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
The game will come down to if the Rams can overcome referees extending 49er drives on 3rd down (expect at least 2 "defensive holding") and if they can overcome a negative turnover margin. Rams lead the league in coughing up the ball (20.5% of drives end in turnover, tied worst with the Raiders). 49ers remain the luckiest team in the NFL in receiving gifts (20.4% of opponents' drives end in turnover). Beating the mediocre 49ers is the easy part, it's the refs, luck, and self-stupidity that must be overcome first.
Boldin will just lower his shoulder and run into defenders and probably get a flag or two. Stevie Johnson has been very effective for them.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
-SF's defense is ranked 5th in the NFL in rushing yards allowed/game(77.2 yds/gm).
-SEA is 1st, and AZ is 4th)...so buckle up your chinstraps in the coming weeks if we want to keep running the football.

-SF's defense is ranked 4th in the NFL vs the pass, allowing 205.6/gm. YOUR St Louis Rams are 1st, by the way.

-SF's defense is ranked 2nd in the NFL in total yards allowed/game at 282.8. Your St Louis Rams' is ranked 8th in total offense in yds/gm at 392.8 so this will be an interesting matchup for sure.

-I still say our defense has to come up big in order to get a WIN. We'll move the ball in the dome just fine if we cut down on the mistakes, offensive turnovers and pre snap penalties.

-SF is scoring about 22 points/game thru 5 games...so again, if we can get the defense to show up, be who we thought they were and make plays on 3rd down, we should only have to score a few TD's on offense. That's not too much to ask from Davis and company.

24-17 victory is Rams football. 38-34 scenario's aren't where this team is going to win many games. We haven't yet.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams must stop the San Francisco running attack. Period.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Austin Davis is a god. I wasn't that high on him but scrubs don't accidentally play 2 good games in a row. I thought things would go bad but he nearly led the biggest comeback ever during the regular season. He's going to make some big plays!!! 49ers should be the one's that are scared. GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
this is a bigger test for Schottenheimer than Davis in my book. Davis' poise doesn't really change. some of the play calling is still ridiculous. but if Schotty spreads them out wide again and leaves Davis out on an island again I swear to God...

rams2050

Starter
I just hope Monday Night Fever doesn't affect our young QB. That, plus the heady experience of meeting Hall of Famers like Marshall and Aeneas Williams, and HOF almost certains Kurt Warner, Orlando Pace, Isaac Bruce, and perhaps even future HOFer Torrey Holt. His head might be spinning a bit after all that star power burning nearby.

Still, I have high hopes that he will come out slinging the ball -- and helping to score TDs for the Rams.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
All I know is if Davis starts out hot against the Eagles, we win.

We gotta test their secondary early and often. Let Davis get outside the pocket and complete some short throws. We gotta get him some confidence, early.