Rams Offense exactly what was expected, and that's not good enough/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' offense exactly what was expected, and that's not good enough
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...y-what-was-expected-and-thats-not-good-enough

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- A small survey of the St. Louis Rams locker room after yet another loss in which the offense failed to provide support for a playoff-ready defense revealed plenty of confidence that the offense will improve.

That's to be expected, especially after Todd Gurley rushed for 159 yards.

What's alarming were the qualifiers attached to those beliefs.

"Things are going to take a little bit of time," tight end Lance Kendricks said Sunday after a 24-10 loss to the Green Bay Packers. "It's a great time for us to have the bye week to calm down and get everything together. I think we'll be all right."

"We're real close," left tackle Greg Robinson said. "We'll just keep chipping and fix those little things. I feel like eventually we will be where we want to be."

Take a little bit of time.

Eventually.

Great. But by the time the Rams (2-3) put all the pieces together on offense, it could be too late to keep this from becoming yet another lost season under fourth-year coach Jeff Fisher.

It was Fisher who finally committed this offseason to the ground-based ethos he developed in Tennessee. He used the draft to rebuild the offensive line and select a dynamic running back, Gurley, who was coming off a torn ACL.

That it's taking time for such young group to come together is no surprise. It was to be expected, in fact. And it's a situation Fisher created by waiting so long to build an offensive identity -- never mind that the one he chosen skews far from what's working elsewhere in the pass-first NFL.

In three of their five games, the Rams scored 10 points or fewer. They lost all three. Their scoring troubles are the result of myriad, though not hard to predict, problems from week to week.

In the first three weeks, they had no running game. Gurley fixed that by rushing for 305 yards over the next two games. Then the offensive line's pass-protection issues became conspicuous.

The Rams gave up three sacks Sunday, and the protection problems kept quarterback Nick Foles from getting comfortable, which brought about a whole new problem: turnovers. Entering the game, the Rams had just four. They matched that total Sunday as Foles threw four interceptions.

"In those situations, I have got to step up and make a play or get the ball out," Foles said. "If it's not there, it's sometimes good just to get it away and don't put the ball in harm's way."

The Packers pressured Foles on 44 percent of his dropbacks Sunday. Foles, who has been inconsistent in the face of pressure this season, was 1-of-11 with no touchdowns and two interceptions against Green Bay pressure. His other two interceptions came in the red zone, where Foles had thrown just two interceptions in his previous 107 career attempts.

On a day when the Rams offense sustained drives and even managed to win time of possession by more than six minutes, those turnovers canceled out the good work they were doing in the running game. The wide receivers again struggled to gain separation or, you know, catch the ball on a regular basis. Stedman Bailey's 68-yard catch in the waning moments was the only thing keeping running back Benny Cunningham and safety Cody Davis from leading the team in receiving yards.

Despite all those issues, Rams defenders continue to voice support that the offense will be able to put it all together.

"I still feel good about our offense," end William Hayes said. "I know as crazy as that sounds, I feel like when we come back from the bye, we are going to go on this run.

"At the end of the day, I see a bigger picture. I'm not just looking at the moment. I know six, seven games from now you will come back to me and say, 'You know what, William? You were right with what you said.' As frustrating as it is right now, I know deep in my heart things are going to turn themselves around."

In six or seven weeks, won't it be too late?

"No, it won't be too late," Hayes said. "We'll be fine. I'm not saying that just to say it. I really feel this team is something special, and we're going to surprise the world eventually."

There's that word again.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It was Fisher who finally committed this offseason to the ground-based ethos he developed in Tennessee. He used the draft to rebuild the offensive line and select a dynamic running back, Gurley, who was coming off a torn ACL.

That it's taking time for such young group to come together is no surprise. It was to be expected, in fact. And it's a situation Fisher created by waiting so long to build an offensive identity -- never mind that the one he chosen skews far from what's working elsewhere in the pass-first NFL.

I think this is valid critique.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Todd Gurley is already the Rams' offensive centerpiece
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ley-is-already-the-rams-offensive-centerpiece

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Despite his pregame protestations to St. Louis Rams head athletic trainer Reggie Scott, running back Todd Gurley finished Sunday's loss to the Green Bay Packers still wondering what he can do when he's at full speed.

That's because Scott refused to allow Gurley to play against the Packers without the brace that protects his surgically repaired left knee.

"I had the brace on today," Gurley said. "Reggie, man. I just listen to what they say."

No matter, Gurley followed up last week's breakthrough with the type of workhorse performance that removed any remaining doubt about who the focal point of the Rams offense is. Just three games and two starts into his NFL career, the answer is Gurley.

On a day when offense was again mostly hard to come by, it was Gurley who gave the Rams hope. He carried 30 times for 159 yards, both career highs in his small three-game sample.

The 159 yards offered a modest improvement over the 146 he had against Arizona last week, but it was those 30 carries that were impossible to ignore. Gurley made his NFL debut in Week 3 against Pittsburgh, and the Rams eased him back into the mix with six carries. It looked like Gurley was right on schedule, getting a few touches before slowly ramping up heading into the Week 6 bye.

But the Rams got Gurley rolling in the fourth quarter against the Cardinals last week, and his carries rose to 19. But even if that was just a product of how the game went, Sunday's game offered definitive proof that the Rams no longer have any doubts about Gurley's health.

"You never know what to expect," Gurley said. "If you are having a good game, Coach is going to keep feeding you. So I have just got to be prepared for that. These guys believe in me to run the ball. We are doing a great job. We just have got to put stuff together and finish."

Over the last two weeks Gurley's 49 carries are the most in the NFL (not including Monday night's game). The same is true of his 305 rushing yards. For those keeping score at home, that's a 6.22 yards per carry, which is fifth among running backs in that time. For the season, though Gurley hasn't played in every game like the names on the list above him, he is tied for 12th in rushing yards with 314, and his 5.71 yards per carry on 55 attempts is tops in the league among running backs.

Perhaps more impressive is Gurley's knack for big plays. He already has nine carries for 20-plus yards, which ties him for 10th in the NFL, but those nine runs have gone for a total of 225 yards, second only to Tampa Bay's Doug Martin on such carries.

"He’s doing a great job," tight end Lance Kendricks said. "He’s definitely giving us some big plays down the field and some explosives which are hard to come by, especially against a good defense like them. I think we’re on the right track. We have just got to get all the pieces together."

For Gurley, the only remaining piece he is hoping to add to his game is finding the end zone. He narrowly missed a couple of scores against the Packers and found himself lamenting the fact he didn't score his first NFL touchdown on the 55-yard run he broke late in the game.

Whether it's Gurley or someone else doing the scoring, the Rams are well aware they must find the pieces to complement their burgeoning star back. The hope in the Rams locker room is now that Gurley is establishing himself, the rest will fall into place.

"Todd is doing a great job," quarterback Nick Foles said. "Coming off an injury like he suffered and to be in the NFL, his second game really breaking through and once he hits that hole, he’s hitting it. So that’s going to help us open up a lot of things.

"We’ll keep working to be a complete offense. Our running game, that’s the start of it. You have got to have a great running game in the NFL because the clock keeps moving and it wears down the defense a little bit. We’ll build off that for sure."

And around Gurley. Brace or no brace.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think anybody expected 4 picks and 3 missed field goals . Another game for the taking , but can't get over the hump .

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
....Offense Not Good Enough.... Correct:(

but our RB's :love:are:yess:......the rest of the elements of this offense falls easily into this big Not Good Enough dark hole. The TE pass catchers are far from being sure handed & Jared Cook:censored: my major disappointment:headexplosion: plus Lance Kendricks :huh: is proving to be a very expensive #2 TE bench warmer. The WR's are showing very little improvement & continue to be inconsistent:deadhorse: .

Finally the OL is in need of a long growth period with a need of some serious fertilizer all of which would seem to land hard in the lap of Nick Foles who is very lucky to have finished yesterday's game alive. Foles needs far much better help from this bunch on the Ram offense who were none producers yesterday.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, I can't disagree with his article....but what the heck did you expect in GB?

They just can't stop bashing the Rams every chance they get. Yes, the offense was bad. No, Fisher should not be happy. But c'mon...the defense played WAY better than this reporter probably thought they would - historically good against Aaron Rodgers in Lambeau.

It's annoying the amount of negative articles we get.