Rams’ O-line Problems Persist

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/01/atlanta-falcons-dan-quinn-collapse-nfl-notes

Rams’ offensive line problems persist
by Albert Breer

Todd Gurley has rushed for 641 yards on 200 caries in his second season, and the Rams’ supposed offensive centerpiece didn’t suddenly forget how to run the ball. Jared Goff didn’t get into the lineup until late November, and his readiness for the NFL isn’t the only reason why. The problem here is deeper and won’t be easy to fix.

The offensive line is an unmitigated mess, and the offensive design hasn’t been creative enough to mask it. The situation boiled over last week when former second overall pick Greg Robinson was scratched for the team’s loss in New Orleans.

At Robinson’s pro day in 2014, his coaches warned teams that it’d take the physically imposing prospect time to learn to play in the pros, given that Auburn was only running a handful of run plays and a handful of protections. The fact is, Robinson hasn’t shown the mental capacity to get there since, and that has led to growing problems with consistency and penalties.

“He’s not instinctive, and he panics at the top of the rush,” said one Rams source. “That’s why you see the dumb penalties. A lot of the penalties come when they’re not really necessary.” And that has prevented Robinson from leveraging his athleticism, which remains considerable.

Elsewhere, the Rams are starting 2015 draft picks Jamon Brown, Cody Wichmann and Rob Havenstein, and had right tackle Rodger Saffold (who signed a lucrative five-year deal in 2014) flip sides against the Saints.

Add it up, and there has been a major investment made in making that area better. And the fact that there’s been so little progress there has spilled over to affect players like Gurley and Goff, which certainly means that there could be changes coming after the season in positions that aren’t just filled by players.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Haha another writer that has no idea what Position Rams players play. Saffold is not a RT you Moron.

Guess he looked at the preseason stats and just wrote a bunch of BS

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not one mention of Coach Boudreau.....hmmm...accountability much?

View: http://www.therams.com/team/coaches/paul-boudreausr/40d859e3-8ca1-4bcd-be3f-cce2a05fdb37

BoudreauPT_CoachCard_061713.jpg

No offensive line coach in the NFL has more experience as an assistant at the professional level than Paul T. Boudreau, who enters his 29th season in 2015. This year marks Boudreau’s fourth season of his second stint with the Rams.
Time to move on. 29 seasons...really? His son is a special teams coach. Hmmmmmm....

On the other side..

Who do you choose? Who do you side with? Players or Coaches????

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
IF Fisher gets an extension, witch I hope he doesn't, There better be some major changes in his Offensive Coaching Staff!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
IF Fisher gets an extension, witch I hope he doesn't, There better be some major changes in his Offensive Coaching Staff!!
You know what kinda pissed me off? I go reading that Greg is FROM Louisiana....Family is gonna be there...he's playing WAY better...and they not only bench him, but de-activate him...

And so the 24-year-old Robinson, who had started 35 consecutive games for the Rams at left tackle, watched Los Angeles’ offense take on New Orleans from the sideline as one of the club’s seven inactive players. It was tough — especially considering Robinson is a Louisiana native and had numerous family members in attendance at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome — but the left tackle said he tried to make the most of the experience.

“It was the decision they made, and all I can do is just accept it. And it wasn’t like I could tell them, ‘No, I’m not sitting down,’” Robinson said after Wednesday’s practice. “So, if it was smart for him to allow me to take a break, I feel like I used it to the best of my ability, and just accepted what was at task, and just tried to move on.”
What made the experience a bit more challenging for Robinson was seeing Saffold leave the game with a hand injury in the second quarter.

“Yeah, on the sidelines it kind of got me down. But, like I said, there was nothing I could do about that,” Robinson said.
So, this type of "players coach" is gonna motivate men? Players are gonna re-sign for discounts? Coming back for ANOTHER year???? Seems like the defense answered back loudly...with their effort.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
This is what happens when you draft purely on potential.

Robinson over Mathews
Pead over Anyone, he was terrible
Quick over Jeffery's
Austin over Hopkins

All high picks on the Offensive side of the ball that have been absolute bust. Just another fact that shows you Fisher/snead doesn't know offensive talent.
I really don't know how anyone can argue that these two shouldn't be fired by this alone.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Greg Robinson would make a better DT, where athleticism is more important than brains. Make him a NT and tie up two blockers or stop the run.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Seems to a big part of the problem is they can not run out of the shotgun.. much like DeMarci Murray had issues last year with the Eagles .

Just too slow getting the play started. think of it, Gurley has to wait for the shotgun snap to come back to QB, then QB has turn and handoff, and at this point Gurley is still 6 yards behind line of scrimmage.

As opposed to an undercenter QB getting direct snap turning and handing to Gurley, who is now just 1 yard behind line of scrimmage and moving forward as he gets the ball.

To me it us obvious that the Ram OL needs to get quick openings for him hit hard as he is going forward when takes the ball.

In shotgun he stands and waits and when gets the ball he is just getting a flat footed start.

He needs a head of steam when he hits the hole, instead he often has to dance around defenders who already have disengaged from their blockers and are in the backfield.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Greg Robinson would make a better DT, where athleticism is more important than brains. Make him a NT and tie up two blockers or stop the run.
I'm afraid he'd jump off-sides all damn game.

Ram Pat

Rookie
Seems to a big part of the problem is they can not run out of the shotgun.. much like DeMarci Murray had issues last year with the Eagles .

Just too slow getting the play started. think of it, Gurley has to wait for the shotgun snap to come back to QB, then QB has turn and handoff, and at this point Gurley is still 6 yards behind line of scrimmage.

As opposed to an undercenter QB getting direct snap turning and handing to Gurley, who is now just 1 yard behind line of scrimmage and moving forward as he gets the ball.

To me it us obvious that the Ram OL needs to get quick openings for him hit hard as he is going forward when takes the ball.

In shotgun he stands and waits and when gets the ball he is just getting a flat footed start.

He needs a head of steam when he hits the hole, instead he often has to dance around defenders who already have disengaged from their blockers and are in the backfield.
I agree with the run out of shotgun analysis, however the "hole " when running with qb under center are few and far between. Our OL is a bunch of clumsy, non athletes

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I wonder if Paul Boudreau had any input or wish list of OL when the Rams drafted their current OL. Or did Paul Boudreau was so confident with his coaching that he said to Snead/Fisher that he said to draft any big guy and he would make them All-Pro?

I'd say this, Paul Boudreau has not developed any Offensive Linemen whatsoever. It seems like the OL regressed year-over-year.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Purely speculation on my part, and not saying this was the best way to handle Robinson, but I see this as a "Wake Up Call" by Fisher and Boudreau, and they want to see how Robinson will handle it going forward. Again, making him inactive for the game was a head scratcher, because we needed him after Saffold went down. IMO, you can make your point by sitting him on the bench. I really hope he comes out Sunday and tears it up. This is a really critical time for him over the rest of the season. And I agree with most, if Boudreau is such an O-Line coaching guru, why the heck can't he get our O-Line to produce? It seems like we strive to be marginal.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Review our OL injuries in 2016 to the moment....

#1-Rob Havenstein - 2015 starting ORT injured before OTA's with a serious foot ailment. Removed from PUP just before regular season began play has been affected all season.
#2-Garrett Reynolds-2015 starting OLG injured in pre season placed on IR & released.
#3-Darrell Williams- 2015 3rd OT injured in pre season placed on IR.
#4-Jamon Brown 3rd OG injured wrist required surgery missed 3 games returned last week to start @ OLG due to GRob's needed safe zone period.
#5-Tim Barnes- starting center injured over two weeks ago with a serious foot injury playing through the pain.
#6-Rodger Saffold- starting OLG/OLT injured wrist required surgery this week status from this point on unknown.

fearsomefour

Legend
I wonder if Paul Boudreau had any input or wish list of OL when the Rams drafted their current OL. Or did Paul Boudreau was so confident with his coaching that he said to Snead/Fisher that he said to draft any big guy and he would make them All-Pro?

I'd say this, Paul Boudreau has not developed any Offensive Linemen whatsoever. It seems like the OL regressed year-over-year.
I would give him credit for Barksdale and Barnes. Both solid starters.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Barksdale learned his trade before he got here. I think that is why he was one of the better linesmen that we had.

tempests

Hall of Fame

Boudreau was all over Greg before the 2014 draft. Said he had more talent than Willie Roaf.

If true, it's a stunning indictment of the Rams inability to bring him along.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I think he did a good job with Joe Barksdale. Barksdale was taken off the scrap heap and developed into a servicable OT, which was a pretty big jump for him.

But at the same time, he hasn't seemed to have developed anyone else. I think part of it comes from above him, with Boras's play design and blocking scheme selection, but Boudreau doesn't get a complete pass.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
You know what kinda pissed me off? I go reading that Greg is FROM Louisiana....Family is gonna be there...he's playing WAY better...and they not only bench him, but de-activate him...@LAChamp

This really made me raise my ears up a bit. A chance to play in front of his family at home and he is benched and de-activated. I know Fish would know where the guys family is from. In ways I think it could be very motivating but boy that would be crushing.

Fish: "You don't want your Mom to see you play the way you have been"

FRO

Legend
This is what happens when you draft purely on potential.

Robinson over Mathews
Pead over Anyone, he was terrible
Quick over Jeffery's
Austin over Hopkins

All high picks on the Offensive side of the ball that have been absolute bust. Just another fact that shows you Fisher/snead doesn't know offensive talent.
I really don't know how anyone can argue that these two shouldn't be fired by this alone.
Overconfidence in their coaching abilities did them in. They passed on good talent for raw ability they thought they could make into better talent. With the defensive talent on the roster all they need is a league average offense. Going with the more polished good talent was the way to go.