Rams O Line Game 1: guesses

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If Jake Long isn't healthy, here is my line for 1-2 games
LT needs smart and agile and run blocking "enough". Barret Jones couldn't run block against 330 lb nose
tackles, but agaisnt 275 lb ends and angle blocking DT's he should be ok.

LT Barret Jones
LG Greg RObinson
C-Wells
RG Saffold
RT Joe "all the skills' Barksdale

I think keeping the other 4 intact will be more important. I saw Barret Jones as a LT, and he was ok, and now he is stronger, and assuming we don't have 7 step drops too much, he will be ok for a few games.

Good thing Boudreau knows more than me!!!

I sure have no issues with this OL if Jake Long is not 100%. Barrett may not have the foot speed but he has those long arms & smarts ...he has shown that he has the rest of what it takes to temporarily hold the fort @ OLT. I would prefer that the OL does not shift starters from other positions to fill one hole thus open up another hole.

Barrett Jones was much ...much better @ OLT his junior year than OK....he won the most highly decorated OL award playing OLT for a predominant running team. Boudreau needs a reserve OLT that's not a starter...name another Ram reserve that could line up & do it?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Put me in the camp that wants to park Saffold inside and hope he plays the whole season.

If a LT is needed; I'm kicking the rookie out there. Saffold stays inside.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I think it will be

LT Robinson
LG Long
C Wells
RG Saffold
RT Barksdale

but I wouldnt be completely shocked if Wells isn't on the team either.

jjab360

Legend
Yeah, I'm not even sure if Barrett Jones will be able to play guard at this level much less tackle.

If Long isn't ready I think you'll see Saffold-Robinson-Wells-Vet FA-Barksdale

We'll sign at least one veteran OL. Someone like Davin Joseph or Daryn Colledge.
I really get the feeling the Rams don't want Saffold at OT, though, only as a last-ditch insurance policy.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Put me in the camp that wants to park Saffold inside and hope he plays the whole season.

If a LT is needed; I'm kicking the rookie out there. Saffold stays inside.
I am more with keeping Saffold there, too. I don't think they are going 7 step drop too much the first 3 games...it is the 7 step drop that makes it hard on a tackle....a mediocre LT can handle a 5 step drop even against all pros....unless they are Quinn!

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it will be

LT Robinson
LG Long
C Wells
RG Saffold
RT Barksdale

Wow, Jake Long to guard....not impossible in 2015-2016, but I would be surprised in 2014.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think it will be
LT Robinson
LG Long
C Wells
RG Saffold
RT Barksdale

If Jake Long for what ever reason is unable to fully perform his duties @ OLT due to health then he would be PUP'd until he was 100%. If Jake Long were to be unable to play up to his previous level he would then either beat out Barksdale @ ORT or become a very expensive swing OT & then the option of either Robinson or Saffold would have to be made to fill his OLT post. I would just prefer Greg Robinson to be thrown into the fire myself. Having Jake Long fill the present vacant swing OT position is not the end of the world. Ram past two seasons proves that the swing OT will get many opportunities to play. Rams lost their starting OLT in 2012 three times due to injury. In 2013 season Ram lost their starting OLT twice to injury. Why do you think Snead & Fisher wanted Zack Martin with out 1,13 selection in this past draft?

I would not expect Long to loose any of his power run blocking ability due to this latest injuries & surgery, but Jake has struggled from time to time with the speed rushers as time and the seasons come. If Jake's pass blocking abilities are degraded... then he would be our starting Right OT when Barksdale departs next season.

If I were a gambling man, I'd be the farm that the Rams are going to bring in another veteran Olineman this offseason. (And probably to replace what may soon be a cap casualty in Wells). I just picked Joseph.

Yes I would agree that a veteran OL is a top priority @ present. I have posted before that most of the UFA's still available of course have issues...OG Joseph has never made it back to form after a knee injury even though he play 16 games last season he was terrible & just plain bad. Rams need a true swing OT more than an OG IMO.

If Wells remains healthy then this leaves Boudreau his most talented two top Ram OL reserves Tim Barnes & Barrett Jones free to fill where there is the most need. The problem is both are really OG's or centers NOT NFL OT's. I know of no swing OT's still in the open market. That would mean that the Org will have to wait for a cut veteran swing OT to be released late in pre season. But later on by the bye time Harvey Dahl will be the best plug in OG IMO.

Last edited:

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I really get the feeling the Rams don't want Saffold at OT, though, only as a last-ditch insurance policy.

Saffold is our third best OT and it's not close at this point IMO. During his post signing presser they continued to talk about how much they valued his versatility.

I don't think the team is going to put an inferior player over there to protect Sam's blindside if Long's out. Much better to risk messing up Rodger for a little bit by shifting him off of RG than messing up your quarterback by getting him abused for 2-4 games.

jjab360

Legend
Saffold is our third best OT and it's not close at this point IMO. During his post signing presser they continued to talk about how much they valued his versatility.

I don't think the team is going to put an inferior player over there to protect Sam's blindside if Long's out. Much better to risk messing up Rodger for a little bit by shifting him off of RG than messing up your quarterback by getting him abused for 2-4 games.
I wouldn't say that, I think Saffold was just as good as if not better than Barksdale at RT last year and has always been at least an average LT. Thing is he just happens to be a lot better at OG, all of his skills at OT seem to be magnified in a phone booth.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Morning Zag!, I would agree with you that Saffold is the best option of all our OL'ers to start @ OLT if Long was absent. But @ the same time I witnessed in this Offense ....what a high powered ORG does to this Offense. I also observed the degrading of this same offense when Saffold was not the ORG. The other two weak OG's playing ORG were Shelley Smith & Harvey Dahl. Last season those two were the best OG's after Saffold. Does Boudreau have better reserve OG's now? What present reserve OG's has any proven work record @ ORG in the NFL? Are any of our current reserve OG's better than the vets Smith or a healthy Dahl?

Guess the point I bringing up is we have no legit replacement for Saffold @ ORG presently. I am now of the opinion that the ORG post with Saffold starting is the most important to this this run offense. I'm not say the OLT post is not important thats just foolish but Saffold play ORT or OLT just not that impressive...I want to keep that ORG post powered up! Having a weak ORG starting & a less than impressive OLT weakens two OL positions. I just think that having Robinson & Saffold blowing up the defense will permit the ground game to move forward.

I am in full agreement with the concerns over using a weaker OLT with a Sam Bradford @ QB but I would provide help to the OLT with Harkey or Kendricks and keep Saffold in place to just run the ball until Jake Long returns to full health. Let the defense pull the extra load.

I would expect that Fisher will have Shotty not place Sam in peril until the OLT post is secured fully.

Last edited:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The only "guesses" would be who is injured before week 1. Right now it appears everyone will be a go for TC, Long limited like last year.

The starters are all but set.

Long-Robinson-Wells-Saffold-Barksdale

Is this not common knowledge at this point?

Dam that's a great line, best since the GSOT.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I am more with keeping Saffold there, too. I don't think they are going 7 step drop too much the first 3 games...it is the 7 step drop that makes it hard on a tackle....a mediocre LT can handle a 5 step drop even against all pros....unless they are Quinn!
The five step drop is where Aaron Donald gonna gitcha

It's an interesting question, if the reason we are playing Robinson at LG is due to having a former Pro Bowl LT then that's fine, if the reason we're playing Robinson at LG is because he can't play LT then that's an awful pick.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's an interesting question, if the reason we are playing Robinson at LG is due to having a former Pro Bowl LT then that's fine, if the reason we're playing Robinson at LG is because he can't play LT then that's an awful pick.

The only big negative on GR is his experience. He has only one college season as a starter. But once he gets up to speed watch-out! In a few seasons GR should own the NFC starting OLT post in the pro-bowl. Never know GR may be the best OLT in TC & Pre Season & outplay both Saffold & Jake Long @ OLT! Stranger things have happen then what would we do?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Long will be ready, our o line will stay healthy, and we will dominate.

Until something happens to say otherwise....

Project1.jpg

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I wouldn't say that, I think Saffold was just as good as if not better than Barksdale at RT last year and has always been at least an average LT. Thing is he just happens to be a lot better at OG, all of his skills at OT seem to be magnified in a phone booth.

You're right. I mistyped. I meant say Saffold is our third OT, not our third best OT.