Rams notes: Zuerlein looks to put bad day in the past /PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Zuerlein looks to put bad day in the past
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_928d7739-2f64-5a92-bd71-37e396bdb2ad.html

For Rams kicker Greg Zuerlein, it simply was one of those days.

He struggled through the roughest outing of his three-year career in the Rams’ 24-0 win over Washington on Sunday, missing on an extra-point attempt and on field-goal tries from 28 and 38 yards.

“Fortunately, we won the game,” said Zuerlein, who made an extra point and a 34-yard field goal in the game. “My teammates picked up the slack, but I have to be better. I’ve never hit balls like that in my life.’’

The field conditions at FedEx Field were less than ideal. Punter/holder Johnny Hekker said the wind probably was more of an issue than the footing. But Zuerlein takes full responsibility.

“I’m never going to blame the field for what I do,” he said.

A sixth-round draft choice out of Missouri Western in 2012, Zuerlein has been solid throughout his time with the Rams. After converting 23 of 31 field-goal tries and setting a franchise record with seven from 50 yards or longer as a rookie, he made 26 of 28 field-goal attempts a year ago. This season, he has made just 18 of 24 field-goal attempts.

Sunday’s miss was the first unsuccessful extra-point try of his career.

“All you can do is put it behind you and get back to work,” Zuerlein said. “I’ve watched the film and worked to make corrections. If you dwell on the negative, it can haunt you, so my focus is on being positive. I just have to put in the work and stay confident in my ability.”

Following the game, Rams coach Jeff Fisher had Zuerlein kick the ball into an empty locker and proclaimed his kicker “OK.”

“I asked (special teams coordinator John) Fassel if he’d switched drivers or something,” Fisher kidded. “I don’t know what happened (Sunday), but he was eight for eight with eight bombs (in practice Tuesday). He’ll be all-right.”

Zuerlein appreciates the support.

“Coach Fisher and Coach Fassel, they’ve been awesome,’’ he said. “Making kicks in practice is great and definitely boosts my confidence. But in this job, it’s all about that next kick. Sunday’s performance was not up to my standards and I can’t wait to get back out there.’’

Added Hekker: “Greg’s a pro. He had a rough day — it happens to everybody — and he’s working to put it behind him. He’s the best kicker we’ve got, the best kicker I know and I’m looking for big things from him.’’

INJURY REPORT

Defensive end Chris Long returned to practice Wednesday and appears to be on track to play tonight when the Rams entertain NFC West-leading Arizona.

“He was OK,” Fisher said following the workout at Rams Park. “We’ll see how he is in the (pregame) warmups ... but we’re very optimistic about it.”

The Rams listed Long (ankle) as questionable. The others on the Wednesday injury report — center Scott Wells (elbow), guard Rodger Saffold (shoulder), linebacker James Laurinaitis (ankle), defensive tackle Alex Carrington (thigh), linebacker Will Herring (foot), tight end Cory Harkey (knee) and receiver Kenny Britt (not injury related) — are probable after going through full workouts.

Arizona has ruled out safety Tyrann Mathieu (thumb) and guard Paul Fanaika (ankle). Cornerback Antonio Cromartie (ankle) and defensive tackle Ed Stinson (toe) are questionable after being limited in Wednesday’s practice.

Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald (knee), quarterback Drew Stanton (ankle/knee), tackle Jared Veldheer (ankle) and linebackers Larry Foote (foot), Lorenzo Alexander (knee) and Matt Shaughnessy (shoulder) practiced Wednesday are listed probable.

T. AUSTIN HONORED

Rams wide receiver/kick returner Tavon Austin was named Wednesday as the NFL special teams player of the week, becoming the team’s first man named player of the week in his first two seasons here since Marshall Faulk (1999-2000).

Austin, selected with the eighth pick of the 2013 draft, had 203 all-purpose yards on 11 touches Sunday in the Rams’ 24-0 win over the Redskins. He returned four punts for 143 yards (35.8 per return), including a 78-yarder for a touchdown in the third quarter. He also had 46 yards on five runs and two catches for 14 yards.

Austin, who has TDs in each of his last three games, ranks second in the NFL with 332 punt-return yards. And his 11.1 yards per return ranks second among players with 25 or more runbacks.

Austin is the third Rams to earn special teams player of the week honors, joining fellow West Virginia University alum Stedman Bailey (Week 7) and kicker Zuerlein (Week 11).

Ram-Blings

Arizona’s Larry Fitzgerald enters tonight’s game with 896 catches for 12,059 yards and 89 touchdowns. If he scores against the Rams, he’d become the 10th player in NFL history to reach 90 touchdowns and 12,000 yards.

Others in that select club are Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Cris Carter, Marvin Harrison, Tony Gonzalez, Tim Brown, Steve Largent and Isaac Bruce.

• In practice-squad moves Wednesday: Defensive end Gerald Rivers, who spent most of last season with the Rams after signing as an undrafted rookie free agent from the University of Mississippi, was signed by Denver; Houston signed defensive end/linebacker Kortnei Brown, who was with the Rams earlier this season; former Illinois TE Evan Wilson was signed by Oakland.