Rams notes: WR Austin puts up big numbers/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: WR Austin puts up big numbers
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_80b8d21a-f162-5568-a475-792523f8d06c.html

Now that’s the way to celebrate a homecoming.

Rams receiver and kick returner Tavon Austin, who grew up in Baltimore, about 45 minutes from FedEx Field in Landover, Md., put on a show Sunday for the 32 or so family and friends in attendance for the visitors’ 24-0 victory over the Washington Redskins.

Austin, a second-year pro from West Virginia University, put the finishing touch on the Rams’ dominating second half with an electrifying 78-yard punt return with 1 minute, 36 seconds to play in the third quarter.

Austin finished the day with 203 all-purpose yards on 11 touches. He returned four punts for 143 yards, an average of 35.8 per return, and added 46 yards on five runs, averaging 9.2 a carry.

“I think you saw today how special he is,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said following the game. “Unfortunately, early in his career, he’s had a number of returns called back, so he didn’t get the attention.’’

Following Sunday’s big return, the television camera spotted Fisher celebrating.

“I’ve been sharing his frustration,’’ the coach explained. “I get him lined up every play and get the depth and tell him the return and talk to him during the week about it. For the last four weeks or so, we were literally getting punts that we couldn’t return. ... Going into this game, we felt like we would have a chance (and) the guys blocked it like they do in practice.’’

One of those blockers is fellow second-year receiver Stedman Bailey, a third-round draft choice in 2013 who played with Austin at West Virginia.

“Any time he gets the ball in his hands, he can definitely take it the distance,’’ Bailey said. “ If everybody’s out there on the same page and we’re blocking things correctly, the sky’s the limit for Tavon.’’

Before the touchdown Sunday, Austin returned punts for 37, 28 and 10 yards.

“It feels good,’’ said Austin, the No. 8 overall pick in 2013 draft. “It’s all the hard work we put in in practice and everything. It’s finally paying off. It just won’t stop here. We’ve got a mission and we’re going to keep going. Our mission’s to be the No. 1 punt return (unit) in the league.’’

With an average of 13.2 yards per return, the Rams are third in the NFL, behind Atlanta (15.3) and Philadelphia (14.0). Among players with 10 or more punt returns, Austin is eighth, averaging 11.1 per return.

With a touchdown in each of his last three games, Austin is becoming more of an offensive weapon as well. He’s fifth on the squad in receiving (26 catches 200 yards) and fourth in rushing (30 carries, 190 yards, 2 TDs). He’s become especially dangerous on the jet sweep.

“I definitely feel more comfortable,’’ the 5-foot-8, 176-pound Austin said. “I’m just glad with the plays I get. They believe in me.

“The (jet sweep) is something I’ve been running since (college). I’m thankful coach Schotty (offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer) put it in and gave me a chance.’’

And with Austin as a threat on the outside, opportunities are created inside, too.

“In this league, you’ve got to make people try to defend the whole field because everybody’s so big and strong inside,’ Schottenheimer said. “You’ve got a guy like that who can create out in space. We’ve got receivers willing to block (and) tight ends that can cover people up out in space. It’s a huge advantage for us.’’

Schottenheimer continued: “We move him all over the place. He’s done a good job with that, very comfortable. You see him breaking the huddle with confidence. That’s a big part of playing and playing fast and being able to do the things he does.’’

INJURY REPORT

Defensive end Chris Long (ankle) was the lone Rams player who didn’t practice Tuesday as the team continues its short week of preparations for Thursday’s 7:25 p.m. game against the NFC West-leading Arizona Cardinals at the Edward Jones Dome.

“He’s a little sore from the game,’’ Fisher said. Long had surgery after suffering an ankle injury in the season-opening loss to Minnesota but returned to play in the Rams’ recent shutout wins over Oakland and Washington.

The rest of the players on the injury report — center Scott Wells (elbow), guard Rodger Saffold (shoulder), linebacker James Laurinaitis (ankle), defensive tackle Alex Carrington (thigh), linebacker Will Herring (foot), tight end Cory Harkey (knee) and wide receiver Kenny Britt (not injury related) — were full participants during Tuesday’s workout.

For Arizona, safety Tyrann Mathieu (thumb) has been ruled out. Guard Paul Fanaika (ankle) also did not practice. The following players were limited Tuesday: cornerback Antonio Cromartie (ankle), linebacker Lorenzo Alexander (knee), receiver Larry Fitzgerald (knee), linebacker Larry Foote (foot), linebacker Matt Shaughnessy (shoulder), quarterback Drew Stanton (ankle, knee), defensive tackle Ed Stinson (toe) and tackle Jared Veldheer (ankle).

RAM-BLINGS

Dick Vermeil and Orlando Pace will be on set with NFL Network regulars Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk for the network’s Total Access Kickoff Show Thursday. The pregame show begins at 5 p.m.

• A day after clearing waivers after being released by the New York Giants, ex-Mizzou defensive tackle Dominque Hamilton was signed to the Giants’ practice squad. In another practice-squad move, running back Jeremy Hill (Missouri Western) was signed by the Washington Redskins.

Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.