Rams notes: Westbrooks getting his feet wet on defense/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Westbrooks getting his feet wet on defense
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_dba43e94-c038-5bdc-8840-0fd8808b445e.html

Even when he was inactive for the season opener against Minnesota, undrafted rookie Ethan Westbrooks tried to make the most of the opportunity to be on an NFL sideline.

“It’s not like you’ve got your piña colada and cigar just enjoying life,” Westbrooks said. “It’s definitely still a work day.”

So he took mental reps on what was happening that day, and went over his keys from the practice week to see if they held up during the actual game.

Even if he had a piña colada and cigar working that day, he’d have had to put them down. Because of defensive end Chris Long’s foot injury, Westbrooks was fast-forwarded into the line rotation against Tampa Bay and Dallas.

“He’s averaging 15-20 plays a game, which is good,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “He’ll help keep Will (Hayes) fresh, and we need that.”

Westbrooks was in for 16 plays against the Cowboys and 17 in Game 2 against Tampa — roughly 30 percent of the defensive snaps in both games. He had one tackle against Tampa, and was credited with four tackles — including one for loss — against Dallas.

“He’s coming along,” Fisher said. “He’s got the versatility. We didn’t move him around inside like we did in the preseason but Mike (Waufle)’s done a good job with him.”

Waufle is the Rams’ defensive line coach. Westbrooks, a raw but talented prospect from NCAA Division II West Texas A&M, probably would’ve been on the pregame inactive list much of the 2014 season after beating out Missouri’s Michael Sam for the final spot on the 53-man roster coming out of the preseason.

But Long’s injury has accelerated the learning process.

“It’s been good; just continuing to learn new things,” Westbrooks said. “I’m getting more acclimated with the whole defense, the speed of the game. Really starting to put an emphasis on my technique from Coach Wauf and Chris. Even though he’s out, Chris has been helping me a tremendous amount in the room and on the field.”

STILL MIFFED

There was no “24-hour” rule as far as Fisher is concerned about blown calls by referee Clete Blakeman against Dallas. When asked how his team can reduce penalties, he replied: “Well, we just get them to call penalties, and not throw flags when there’s no infractions. That’ll significantly reduce it.”

BAD HISTORY

According to Dr. Richard Winer, the spotter and statistician for Rams radio broadcasts, Sunday’s 34-31 loss to Dallas matched the biggest deficit overcome by an opponent at a Rams home game in franchise history.

The Rams led 21-0 Sunday against the Cowboys. In 1982, the Los Angeles Rams led 21-0 against visiting Denver before the Broncos rallied for a 27-24 overtime victory.

The last time the Rams scored at least 31 points and lost at home was in 2007, also by a 34-31 score, against Arizona.

INJURY UPDATE

Only four players were less than full participants in Wednesday’s bye week practice. Cornerbacks Trumaine Johnson (knee) and Brandon McGee (foot) did not participate. McGee may miss a couple more weeks with his injury.

Center/guard Barrett Jones (back) did some work on the side. Wide receiver/punt returner Tavon Austin (knee) did some individual work, signaling that he possibly could be ready for Philadelphia, the Rams’ Oct. 5 opponent when they return from the bye week.

RAM-BLINGS

• Following knee surgery September 8, QB Sam Bradford was back at Rams Park on Wednesday, with no scooter or crutches — just a knee brace — and moving around pretty well.

• Houston has signed DT Ryan “Big Grease” Pickett, a first-round pick of the Rams in 2001 who spent five seasons with the Rams and then eight with Green Bay as a run-stuffer.

• LB Kevin Reddick, who spent the first two weeks of the season on the Rams’ practice squad, has been signed to San Diego’s active roster.

• Country music duo Montgomery Gentry will perform a 60-minute postgame concert for fans attending the team’s Nov. 30 contest with Oakland at the Edward Jones Dome.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ethan Westbrooks adjusting to expanded role
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/12091/ethan-westbrooks-adjusting-to-new-role

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As part of the St. Louis Rams' effort to replace injured defensive end Chris Long, they're leaning on three players to step in and fill the void.

As you'd expect, William Hayes is the starter and Eugene Sims is the primary backup. But there are still snaps to be had and undrafted rookie Ethan Westbrooks has been tasked with picking up the slack.

Westbrooks spent the first week as a pregame inactive, stuck behind the team's eight other defensive linemen who were available against the Minnesota Vikings. But when Long suffered the ankle injury that landed him in surgery and the injured reserve with the designation to return list, the opportunity to get Westbrooks involved arose.

Against Tampa Bay in Week 2, Westbrooks got his first taste of regular-season playing time, handling 17 snaps and posting one tackle according to Rams' coaches review. Last week, Westbrooks played 16 snaps and fared better in the coaches eyes with four tackles and a tackle for loss against Dallas.

Although Westbrooks has the versatility to play all over the line, he's worked exclusively at Long's spot at left defensive end so far.

"He’s averaging 15-20 plays a game which is good," coach Jeff Fisher said. "He’ll help to keep Will fresh. We need that. Will played very well last weekend and part of that is because he’s fresh and that allows him to do that. He’s coming on. He’s got the versatility. We didn’t move him around inside like we did in the preseason but Mike (Waufle)'s done a good job with him."

To this point, Westbrooks said the biggest adjustment to playing in the NFL has been playing in the bigger, more crowded stadiums. He's also made it a point to lean on Long for advice when he needs pointers throughout the week.

"I’m getting more acclimated with the whole defense, the speed of the game," Westbrooks said. "Really starting to put an emphasis on my technique from Coach Wauf and Chris. Even though he’s out, Chris has been helping me a tremendous amount in the room and on the field.”

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It’s been good; just continuing to learn new things,” Westbrooks said. “I’m getting more acclimated with the whole defense, the speed of the game. Really starting to put an emphasis on my technique from Coach Wauf and Chris. Even though he’s out, Chris has been helping me a tremendous amount in the room and on the field.”
I hope this^ Translates into a lot more pressure from our D, and more sacks! Sacks may not be the 'end-all be-all', as far as D is concerned, but it's how I keep score!:D

RFIP

It wasn't till the third time I watched the Cowboy game did I even notice him on the field.

I like the guy but one thing is for sure; this ain't pre-season any more.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
It wasn't till the third time I watched the Cowboy game did I even notice him on the field.

I like the guy but one thing is for sure; this ain't pre-season any more.
Yeah me to let's hope he not satisfied with just making the team and we start seeing more of what he did in preseason

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I thought he flashed pretty well vs the 'boys....One of our most active DE's to me....Lets see what he brings in the next game...Definitely better than Carrington & Conrath.