Rams notes: Thanksgiving has been good to Cunningham/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Thanksgiving has been good to Cunningham
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_0f5d6988-d70e-5464-89c8-015458cb558c.html

For the second year in a row, Justice Cunningham will enjoy Thanksgiving just a little bit more.

On Tuesday, the Rams promoted the 6-foot-3, 258-pound tight end from South Carolina from their practice squad to the 53-man roster. The move came after another NFL squad expressed interest.

A year ago, after being cut by the Indianapolis Colts, Cunningham was signed to the Rams’ practice squad — on Thanksgiving Day.

“It’s a very good time. Something good always seems to happen around this time,” the 23-year-old said following Wednesday’s practice at Rams Park. “I truly appreciate it. I’m going to keep working and doing what I’ve been doing and try to be ready when my time comes.”

Drafted by the Colts with the final selection of the 2013 draft, Cunningham spent the early part of last season on Indianapolis’ practice squad before making his NFL debut with a 4-yard reception in a 40-11 road loss to the Arizona Cardinals on Nov. 24.

He joined the Rams a few days later and closed out last season on the practice squad. He signed a futures contract in late December and was battling for a roster spot late in the exhibition schedule when he suffered a high ankle sprain and was released.

He remained in St. Louis while rehabbing his ankle and was re-signed to the practice squad on Oct. 28 during a flurry of transactions following the team’s injury-riddled loss in Kansas City.

“It was just great to be healthy and playing football again,” said Cunningham, who joins Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks, Cory Harkey and Alex Bayer on the active roster. In addition, the club has tight end Brad Smelley on the practice squad.

“I’m happy for Justice,” Bayer said. “He’s one of my good buddies on the team, but it definitely adds to the competition around here. Every day, you really have to be ready to work because you know you’ve got a bunch of guys breathing down your neck.”

Bayer, an undrafted rookie free agent from Bowling Green, earned a roster spot with an excellent showing in training camp and came up with a key fumble recovery on a muffed San Diego punt Sunday.

“Any time you get a chance to contribute, to make a play, it feels great,” the 6-foot-4, 258-pounder said. “As a special-teamer, I know I’m going to have limited reps; it’s awesome to make a play. I was just in the right place at the right time.”

Bayer, 24, excelled on special teams at Bowling Green.

“It’s a role I’m comfortable with, but it’s a completely different challenge at this level,’’ he said.

Part of the challenge for Bayer is getting on the field. He has been inactive for six of 11 games this season, including the four weeks prior to Sunday’s game in San Diego.

“Any week, I can be up or down. I know that,’’ Bayer said. “I’m just trying to do what I can to make plays and help the team.’’

INJURY REPORT

Once again, the Rams used Wednesday’s practice to rest a number of players. Eight players sat out the workout at Rams Park, including defensive end Robert Quinn, center Scott Wells and defensive end Eugene Sims for non-injury reasons. Others sitting out were linebacker James Laurinaitis (ankle) cornerback E.J. Gaines (knee), wide receiver Kenny Britt (back), cornerback Marcus Roberson (ankle) and linebacker Will Herring (foot).

Harkey (knee), Cook (knee) and defensive tackle Alex Carrington (thigh) were limited, with defensive back Lamarcus Joyner (groin) returning for a full practice.

“It felt good, first day, getting a chance to move around and get a feel for where I’m at,’’ said Joyner, who has missed the last two games after aggravating the injury after bouncing off Arizona quarterback Carson Palmer while blitzing during an Oct. 19 game in Arizona. “Nobody wants to be injured, particularly when you love the game of football. You see your brothers going to war, out there having fun, doing what they love, what we all love to do.’’

But Joyner, a second-round draft pick last May, knew he couldn’t force his return.

“When I first came into this league, a coach told me that it’s a marathon not a sprint,’’ he said. “You try to be patient and have a positive mindset on everything. I felt good out there today, but we’ll see what the coaches have planned and what my body has planned. Just take it a day at a time and hopefully I can get out there on Sunday.’’

For Oakland, starting cornerback Carlos Rogers (knee) sat out Wednesday, as did reserve corner Neiko Thorpe (hand) and reserve safety Jonathan Dowling (back). Starting left guard Gabe Jackson (knee) was limited. So were safety Larry Asante (shoulder), corner and kick returner TJ Carrie (ankle) and running back Latavius Murray (concussion). Murray rushed for 112 yards on just four carries, including scoring runs of 11 and 90 yards before leaving the game following a helmet-to-helmet collision in the second quarter of last Thursday’s 24-20 Oakland victory over the visiting Kansas City Chiefs.

LONG GETTING CLOSER

Veteran defensive end Chris Long continues to make steady progress in his attempt to return following ankle surgery after the team’s season-opening loss to the Minnesota Vikings. Long, a seventh-year pro, is on the injured reserve-designated to return list and has been lobbying coach Jeff Fisher to get back into the lineup.

“He’s coming on, did a little bit more today,’’ the coach said. “We’ve missed him, we’ve missed his production, the consistent year-after-year sack production and his ability to play the run. When he comes back, he’ll help us improve in those two areas.’’

Fisher noted that Long must be activated by early next week or he will stay on IR for the remainder of the season.

“I think it’s Monday’s. Monday’s the 21st day,’’ the coach said.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams promoted Cunningham because another team was looking to sign him and it's not like Damien Williams was doing anything, but pulling a Brady Quinn of 2013, however, I wonder what the Rams see in Cunningham...I understand he's a big body that might excel at blocking, but in preseason he struggled catching the football. So hopefully he'll be in on running downs.