Rams notes: Team has last workout open to fans here/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Team has last workout open to fans here
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_a9dac4ed-22f5-5689-beca-75fa90c4e777.html

The Rams closed out training camp Tuesday evening before a crowd of 1,070 in Earth City at their last practice here open to the public. Will it be their final training camp in St. Louis?

“Gosh, you know, I really don’t think about it,’’ linebacker James Laurinaitis said. “I’ve always been taught by my parents to focus on the things you can control. I know it sounds cliché, I know it’s a really sensitive subject and I understand why.

“I think Jeff (Fisher) had been doing a great job of preaching this: We’re hoping that the fans come out to support the team. Everyone in this building, the players, the trainers and the coaches, it’s not up to us. It’s up to the 32 owners and the commissioner. The chips will fall as they may; all we can control is how we come out, start fast and get the city excited about football, get the Dome rockin’ and really have a successful season that we know we can have.’’

Before the start of training camp, Fisher had the following to say about a possible move to Los Angeles: “I don’t have any answers. I’ve not asked any questions. We’re playing here (in St. Louis) and we’ve got a good football team. When and if things change, then I’ll let (the players) know. But I’m not concerned and I’m not gonna get caught up in it.’’

After Tuesday’s workout, Fisher talked about the fans.

“We’ve had great crowds since we started camp,’’ he said. “Unfortunately, because of the circumstances where we’re going to be practicing out there (in California), it reduces the number of opportunities they have to come out and watch us. But it was great, great to have them out here today.’’

After opening the preseason Friday in Oakland against the Raiders, the Rams will travel to Oxnard, Calif., for three days, training with the Dallas Cowboys on Monday and Tuesday.

Preparing for his seventh NFL season, Laurinaitis says the Rams are ready for a game.

“I hope to play some, but they haven’t even talked to us about it yet,’’ he said. “Last year, I missed the whole preseason. I want to play, but ultimately that’s coach’s decision.

“You get to this point, you get so sick of seeing the same plays and the same schemes. They you get sick of each other. Then you try to trick the offense and they try to trick you. But now we get to go against another team ... it’s always fun to get back into that routine again.’’

HALL OF FAME GOLF EVENT

David Baker, the president of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, made a stop Tuesday at Rams Park to promote the organization’s Salute to Greatness golf tournament, which is scheduled for Sept. 20-21 at Old Warson Country Club.

The charity event, to be co-chaired by St. Louis football legends and Hall of Famers Dan Dierdorf and Aeneas Williams, will benefit the Hall of Fame as well Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital.

“It s a great event, a chance for fans to get to meet and play golf with the game’s heroes,’’ Baker said. “Our goal is to try and take some part of the Hall out of Canton, Ohio, and bring it to other parts of the country.

“I’ve only been with the Hall for 18 months, but it’s been an incredible experience. To me, the neatest thing is seeing the new guys, guys like Jerome Bettis and Tim Brown, and watching them get a chance to meet and talk with somebody like Y.A. Tittle.’’

Salute to Greatness will kick off with a cocktail reception, dinner and auction Sunday, Sept. 20, with golf the following day. Each foursome is matched with a Gold Jacket Hall of Famer or pro football celebrity. Among those expected to take part are Dierdorf, Williams, Joe Buck, Eric Dickerson, Tom Mack, John Randle, Jackie Slater, Jackie Smith, Roger Wehrli, Dave Wilcox, Kellen Winslow and Jack Youngblood. More will be added in the coming weeks, Baker said.

Dave Peacock, who serves on the Pro Football Hall of Fame advisory board, helped bring the event, which is patterned after similar events in Chicago and Miami, to St. Louis.

“This is a wonderful opportunity to showcase our region’s enthusiasm, passion and support for pro football,’’ Peacock said in a St. Louis Sports Commission news release.

To take part or for more information, go to stlsports.cor/salutetogreatness or call 314-345-5111.

RAM-BLINGS

Sitting out the final open-to-the-public workout at Rams Park this season were DE Chris Long, DT Doug Worthington, CBs Janoris Jenkins, E.J. Gaines and Brandon McGee, RB Isaiah Pead, TE Brad Smelley, LB Kory Toomer and OL Cody Wichmann, who did some running on the side with a team trainer.

Linebacker Keshaun Malone, an undrafted rookie free agent from Bacone (Okla.) College, celebrated his 23rd birthday with an interception during Tuesday’s workout. He picked off the Sean Mannion pass after it went through the hands of running back Trey Watts.

• The majority of the Blues’ coaching staff — Ken Hitchcock, Brad Shaw and Kirk Muller — and head trainer Ray Barile watched Tuesday’s practice.

• Also on hand were NFL legends Jim Hanifan and Gil Brandt. Brandt, who worked in the Dallas Cowboys’ player personnel department from 1960-1988, was in town for an annual stop at Rams camp for a SiriusXM broadcast he co-hosted with Alex Marvez.