Rams notes: TE Cunningham in a battle to win a roster spot

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Joe Lyons
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_96e82d70-35a6-550f-9da8-df5f7210ff8d.html

4ClCZ0B.jpg

On more than one occasion during Rams training camp, tight end Justice Cunningham has been seen limping off the practice field. Once, he even received a short cart ride to the locker room.

But without fail, when practice starts the next day, Cunningham is there, working with teammates.

“Just a bunch of little things that you have to get through, nothing real serious,’’ he said following practice Thursday. “Playing football, you’re going to have aches and pains, but you just have to fight through to make sure you’re out there the next day.’’

To be honest, the 6-foot-3, 258-pound Cunningham doesn’t have the luxury of taking time off these days. He is one six tight ends on the roster and currently in a heated battle for a roster spot.

The team figures to be set with veterans Jared Cook, who led the Rams in receiving a year ago with 51 catches for 671 yards and five touchdowns, Lance Kendricks (32 catches, 258 yards, four TDs) and Cory Harkey (13 catches, 113 yards, two TDs) to lead the way. After that, there’s Cunningham, rookie free agent Alex Bayer, who led the team in the preseason opener with five catches for 71 yards, and newcomer Brad Smelley, who was picked up after defensive lineman-turned-tight end Mason Brodine went to injured reserve with a fractured ankle.

“I try not to think about it,’’ Cunningham, 23, said when asked about the depth chart. “I just try to focus on the next practice, take it one day at a time, one play at a time. My goal every day is to work hard and try to become a better football player.’’

Cunningham, who played at the University of South Carolina, was selected in the seventh round of the 2013 draft by the Indianapolis Colts and spent much of last season on their practice squad. He appeared in one game, catching a 4-yard pass against the Arizona Cardinals before being waived.

He signed with the Rams in late November and spent the last five weeks of the season on the team’s practice squad.

“It feels a whole lot better getting a chance to learn the whole system and getting to know the coaches and players,’’ said Cunningham, who had a 5-yard pass reception in last weekend’s 26-24 loss to the Saints. “I feel more like part of the team now. I’m a lot more comfortable because I know what’s going on around here.’’

Cunningham has always thought of himself as more of a blocker. But that’s changing.

“I’ve worked to improve my pass-catching; I feel I do both pretty well now,’’ he said. “At this position, because you do so many different things, there’s always something to work on, always room for improvement.’’

THE RIGHT PLACE

In the third quarter of the loss to the Saints, Rams free agent rookie linebacker Johnny Millard came up with a big play when he tracked down an interception after a pass deflected off the hands and helmet of New Orleans tight end Brandon Coleman.

“Right place, right time and just making a play,’’ the Cal Poly San Luis Obispo product said. “I had coverage on the back and saw the quarterback throw out of the corner of my eye. I turned and heard a ‘pop’ and went after the ball.’’

Millard made a diving catch followed by an official’s review.

“I was pretty sure I caught it – I had the ball pretty tight to my body and I wasn’t letting go – but I guess anytime there’s a review, you’re going to second-guess it,’’ he said. “When we got the call, it was great having all my teammates getting pumped up for me like that. But now, I just have to move on and focus on what’s next.

“For me, it’s not about counting reps as much as it’s about making my reps count.’’

A LITTLE TRICKERY

Late in the third quarter last weekend, the Rams faced a fourth-and-3 at their own 27 when coach Jeff Fisher called for a fake punt and second-year pro Chase Reynolds responded with a 38-yard run.

“You don’t see a lot of that in preseason, but (Fisher) gave us a shot and the guys were pretty excited about it,’’ said Reynolds, who finished the game with 46 yards on six carries and one 10-yard pass reception. “It was awesome. It’s a pressure play, a gotta-make-it play. But guys on the punt team did a great job of making it work. I was able to make a cut to find a hole and then put a little bit of a cherry on top by getting out front and following my blockers.’’

Memphis Ram

Legend
I may be in the minority on this one, but I prefer the better blocker over the better pass catcher for that 4th TE spot.