Rams Notes: Special Teams Standout Reynolds Welcomes Competition/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Special teams standout Reynolds welcomes competition
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_fde2d375-9270-5223-87cc-87c62bdacc2b.html

Signed as an undrafted free agent by the Seattle Seahawks in 2011, Chase Reynolds joined the Rams after being released in August that year. He spent most of the next two seasons on the practice squad before breaking through and earning a spot on special teams in 2013.

Since cracking the lineup, Reynolds has seen action in 31 of the team’s last 32 games and finished 2014 as the Rams’ special teams leader with 19 tackles, which ranked him in the NFL’s top five.

“I enjoy being out here because I love to compete,” the 27-year-old said following a recent organized team activity (OTA) at Rams Park. “For a guy like me, a guy who’s had to fight and scratch for his spot, every season’s a challenge. In my mind, I feel like I have to do more now because I have something I’ve earned and that I have to protect. In this league, the longer you play, the more you have to be willing to dig in because every year there’s a new group of guys looking to take your spot.”

But Reynolds, a record-breaking running back from the University of Montana, views the newest Rams more as future teammates than as competition.

“I enjoy meeting the new guys and trying to help them through the process,” he said. “If they have questions, I’m there for them. With a new offensive coordinator (Frank Cignetti), there’s some new stuff to learn and I find that by helping the young guys, it helps me learn the new stuff that much quicker.

“Not everybody wants to help out the younger guys, but that’s just the type of person I am. It’s something that helps the team overall and it makes me feel good, seeing them evolve and get better.”

A year ago, Reynolds teamed with friend and training partner Eric Eisenberg to start a motivational brand called The Promise Line, which encourages people to set and reach for their goals in life.

“My first year in the NFL, I was cut multiple times,” Reynolds said. “But I stuck with it. That’s the message of our foundation — if you want something bad enough, you can make it happen.”

Reynolds had surgery to repair a tendon in his thumb. He said he’s around 95 percent now and expects to be ready to go all out when training camp begins in late July.

“My plan, as always, is to work my butt off to make sure I’m ready to compete and win a job,” the 6-foot, 205-pounder said. “At the end of the day, the best players are the ones who make the team and who get playing time. All I can do is focus on giving it everything I have every day I’m out here and if somebody else out-performs me, so be it.”

PEAD ON THE MEND

Preparing for his fourth NFL season, running back Isaiah Pead knows he has not lived up to expectations, including his own.

“It’s been very frustrating,” the 24-year-old said earlier this week. “But tough situations happen — in football and in life — and you just have to find a way to fight through it.”

Pead is working his way back after tearing the ACL in his left knee while returning a kickoff early in the 2014 preseason.

“Physically, I’m still not 100 percent, but I’m feeling strong and I’m taking positive steps every day,” the 5-foot-10, 204-pounder from the University of Cincinnati said. “Mentally, I’m ready to go. I’m comfortable in the playbook and I’m looking forward to showing what I can do and hopefully putting my best foot forward.”

In college, Pead was the Big East offensive player of the year as a senior after finishing with 3,288 career rushing yards and 27 touchdowns. He was a Rams second-round pick (50th overall) in the 2012 draft.

Playing in the shadow of Steven Jackson, Pead appeared in 15 games and made one start as a rookie. He ran 10 times for 54 yards, caught three passes for 16 and returned 10 kickoffs for 212 yards. After sitting out the 2014 season opener for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy, he was active in just 10 games, finishing with 21 rushing yards and 78 receiving yards. On special teams, he contributed three tackles and returned five late-season kickoffs for 138 yards.

“The big thing I’m looking for is consistency,” he said. “Whether you’re the starter or the last man on the roster, you have to go out every day and put your work in.”

RAM-BLINGS

Missing from Thursday’s OTA were WR Damian Williams, WR Kenny Britt, S T.J. McDonald, S Mark Barron, CB Brandon McGee, LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar, T Steven Baker, G Cody Wichmann, TE Alex Bayer, DE Eugene Sims and DT Nick Fairley.

RB Todd Gurley, coming off November knee surgery, continues to work on the side with team trainers.

• Rams DE Robert Quinn came in at No. 44 on NFL Network’s list of top 100 players. Earlier, DT Aaron Donald was named at No. 92.

• Dozens of area high school and college coaches watched Thursday’s OTA as part of a coaching clinic at Rams Park.

• Nothing has been announced officially, but the Rams plan to spend a few days practicing against the Dallas Cowboys in Oxnard, Calif., following the Rams’ preseason opener on Aug. 14 against the Raiders in Oakland.

• The Eagles have released two-time Pro Bowl guard Evan Mathis. The Rams were rumored in the spring to have interest in trading for the 33-year-old Mathis, but the club has denied it. The 11-year veteran was scheduled to make $5.5 million in 2015 and $6 million in 2016.

• QB Garrett Gilbert, a sixth-round draft pick by the Rams in 2014, was waived by the New England Patriots on Thursday. Also cut, by the Jets, was T Sean Hooey, who spent 2013 on the Rams’ practice squad.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As a ST stand-out Chase has a valued place on the Team! But with the RB additions the Rams keep making it's going to make it harder for him to make the 53 man roster. I for one hope he does. He's a Baller!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Pead....

Man, I thought FOR SURE he was going to be a beast for the Rams.
Dude had just tremendously sick moves at Cincy.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Reynolds embraces his ST role rather than suffering through it to bide time until he cracks the RB slot. To me, that is what Pead lacks and may end up getting him cut this year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Interesting that Pead & Chase are on the same piece...coincidence? I doubt it...this is the battle of the haves & would like to haves....If Pead can't beat out Chase, he deserves to be banished to NFL purgatory...the Dallas Cowboys....See if he has what it takes to replace Murray...Didn't know Chase had 19 tackles last year either...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pead....

I think that suspension really hurt his career.

Not dead yet, but quite an uphill climb for the young man.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Pead....

I remember all the hype too. the experts were comparing him to LeSean McCoy. I'm not quite ready to give up on him yet I think hes got a shot to make a little noise this year as a change of pace 3rd down back.