Rams notes: Rookie DT Donald makes the most of first NFL start --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Rookie DT Donald makes the most of first NFL start
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_134acf0c-c656-5505-9ae1-e85b8cfb73c4.html

In his early-week evaluation of his squad’s 31-17 loss to the 49ers, Rams coach Jeff Fisher had high praise for rookie defensive tackle Aaron Donald following the first-round pick’s initial NFL start.

“You can make a case that Aaron Donald might have been the best defensive lineman on the field,’’ Fisher said. “He played really well. We flipped his reps. He’s been getting 20-25 snaps; I think he had 58 snaps, and he was very productive.

“He deserved an opportunity ... to play early and play more.’’

Drafted No. 13 overall in May, Donald, a highly decorated 6-foot-1, 285-pounder from the University of Pittsburgh, was on the field Monday for 58 snaps on defense and seven more on special teams. He finished the game with seven tackles, including five solos.

“I was a little more sore (Tuesday), but it felt good to get a few more snaps,’’ said Donald, who has been a regular contributor since the start of the season with 27 tackles (20 solo), four quarterback pressures, four quarterback hits and the team’s lone sack. “I felt like I played OK, but I also know that I could’ve done better on certain plays. It’s a learning situation and I just need to keep working to try and get better.

“I’m trying to focus on the little things, being a student of the game and working every day on my technique.’’

The Rams (1-4), heading into a game at noon Sunday with the defending Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks (3-2) at the Edward Jones Dome, are looking forward to the challenge, Donald said.

“We still have a lot of football ahead of us,’’ the 23-year-old said. “Our focus is on winning a game and this would be a perfect time to do it, against a great football team.’’

SHORT WEEK, WORKOUT

The Rams went through a crisp but short workout Wednesday afternoon.

“Success on short weeks requires two things — preparation (and) recovery,’’ Fisher said. “We got a lot of that done today. We cut practice down a little bit. Had a really good session this morning (installing the game plan.)

“Tomorrow, we’ll let them get their legs back and we’ll be right back on our schedule.’’

INJURY REPORT

Five players — receiver Austin Pettis (ankle), running back Zac Stacy (ankle), defensive tackle Alex Carrington (knee), center Tim Barnes (shoulder) and defensive end Ethan Westbrooks (hand) — sat out Wednesday’s practice. Running back Chase Reynolds (thigh) and cornerbacks Trumaine Johnson (knee) and Brandon McGee (foot) were limited.

The Seahawks have already ruled out linebacker and leading tackler Bobby Wagner (foot) and tight end Zach Miller (ankle) and had five other players — center Max Unger (foot), cornerback Byron Maxwell (calf), defensive tackle Jordan Hill (ankle), running back Marshawn Lynch and receiver Percy Harvin — who sat out Wednesday’s workout. The absences of Lynch and Harvin were not injury-related.

Seattle cornerback Tharold Simon (knee) was limited.

EX-TIGER EXCELS IN SEATTLE

Both Seahawks QB Russell Wilson and coach Pete Carroll spoke highly of former Mizzou standout Justin Britt, their starting right tackle. Britt, of Lebanon, Mo., was Seattle’s second-round pick in May’s draft.

“Justin is the kind of guy that applies himself so well,’’ Carroll said. “It’s so important to him to be accountable to his teammates and his coaches. He’s done a fantastic job of taking advantage of every opportunity. He’s really been with the starting group since the first day of camp. A guy got hurt and jumped up and it was the Wally Pipp story.’’

Wilson added: “Justin Britt is going to be a superstar one day, I believe. He’s a guy who works extremely hard, one of the first guys here and one of the last guys to leave every day. He’s got great guys around him, guys who want to lead him, and he wants to be helped. He asks tons of questions and you have to know the whys of football to be a great football player and that’s what he’s working on.

“His quest for knowledge is unbelievable, he’s got great technique, great feet and he’s got a fire about him.’’

A LOOK BACK

A coaches’ review of the tape from Monday’s loss to the 49ers revealed that middle linebacker James Laurinaitis and safety T.J. McDonald paced the Rams with 12 tackles each.

Laurinaitis had six solos and six assists and also a fumble recovery. McDonald, who had seven solos, also had a quarterback pressure.

Other top tacklers were Donald (seven), linebacker Alec Ogletree (seven), defensive end Eugene Sims (seven), defensive end Robert Quinn (six), safety Rodney McLeod (six) and linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar (six). McLeod forced the fumble that Laurinatis recovered.

Defensive end William Hayes had five tackles to go along with three QB pressures and three QB hits.

On special teams, Stedman Bailey, Lamarcus Joyner and Daren Bates were credited with two tackles apiece.