Rams notes: McLeod excited about defense's potential/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: McLeod excited about defense's potential
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f9726967-1d12-55a5-9c60-63ea9f99ff78.html

Signed as an undrafted free agent from the University of Virginia in May 2012, safety Rodney McLeod has made steady progress with the Rams.

As a rookie, he quickly established himself as a playmaker on special teams, leading the team with 16 tackles and catching a 21-yard pass from rookie punter Johnny Hekker in the Rams’ 24-24 tie in San Francisco.

In 2013, McLeod started 16 games at free safety and was third on the squad with 87 tackles. In addition, he picked off two passes, recovered two fumbles and had five pass defenses. On special teams, he made three tackles and forced a fumble that Daren Bates returned for a touchdown.

He made 16 more starts a year ago while recording a career-best 96 tackles to go along with two interceptions, two fumble recoveries, a forced fumble and six pass defenses.

“Every year, he just steps it up a huge notch,” Rams head coach Jeff Fisher said. “He gets the game. Moves very well. I thought he played really well last year. He misjudged a couple deep balls, but everybody does that. But I thought he was really active, knew what do and run-supported very well.”

The Rams tendered McLeod, a restricted free agent, at a second-round level, guaranteeing the 24-year-old $2.365 million this season and assuring the club a second-round draft pick if he had received an outside offer that the team elected not to match.

“It meant a lot, honestly,” McLeod said. “It’s nice to see they appreciate the work I’ve put in the last three seasons. It’s a blessing. But I really don’t think it’ll change me or my approach. I’m still hungry and motivated and working to do whatever I can got get this team back to the Super Bowl.”

McLeod joins 2012 draft choices Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson and Mark Barron as the veteran players in a young and versatile group of defensive backs with the Rams. And it’s a role he takes seriously.

“Anything I can do to help, I’m more then willing,” the 5-foot-10, 195-pounder said. “As (defensive coordinator Gregg Williams) likes to say, there are no true starters because of all the different packages we use. Guys are out there competing, getting their hands on the ball and making plays. By pushing each other, everybody stays sharp.”

McLeod adapted quickly to Williams’ system and feels even more comfortable now.

“Each year, you just have a better idea what to expect,’’ the fourth-year pro said. “I’d like to make more plays and I’m watching film of the Pro Bowl safeties, seeing if there’s anything I can do to improve my game. As a group, our main goal is starting fast this year. If we can do that, I feel like the sky’s the limit.’’

ALEXANDER WITH THE STARTERS

With veterans T.J. McDonald and Barron slowed by injury, safety Maurice Alexander, the second-year pro from Eureka High, has been working in OTAs with the starters.

“It’s definitely exciting to be out there and getting a chance with the No. 1s,” said Alexander, 24, a fourth-round draft pick from Utah State. “Last year was tough for me, mainly because of injuries, but Coach Williams did a great job of keeping me ready mentally. Then, once I got healthy at midseason, I was able to do some good things and finish the season on a high note.”

After dressing for just one of the team’s first nine games, Alexander was a regular on special teams for the final seven games of the season. He finished sixth on the squad with seven special-teams tackles.

“Obviously, special teams is a big part of my role here,” he said. “Wherever they need me, I’m there. But being out there with the starters, it’s a great learning opportunity for me and I’m trying to take advantage of every rep.”

Williams is excited about the progress Alexander has made.

“If you want to talk about a guy that’s drastically different than last year, it’s Maurice,’’ the coach said. “He could hardly speak what we’re doing last year. He’d only played one season in college as a DB and now he’s in the NFL as a DB. Holy Cow, he was lost, but we knew he was talented. He’s had a great spring because he’s gotten more reps — next man up — because T.J. and Mark haven’t had as many.

“We’ve got a ton of stuff to do with three safeties and Maurice is now vying for get some of those shots, too.’’

RAM-BLINGS

The Rams held their final organized team activity on Thursday, moving indoors due to the weather and wet field conditions. The veterans will not report for training camp until July 29.

The rookies, however, have another week of conditioning work at Rams Park. They will report for camp on July 27.

The team’s first open-to-the-public workout at Rams Park is set for 3:30 p.m. on Friday, July 31.

• Players not taking part in Thursday’s OTA were safeties McDonald and Barron, cornerback Brandon McGee (who had a walking boot on his right foot), guards Cody Wichmann and Jamon Brown, tackle Steven Baker, tight end Alex Bayer and running back Todd Gurley. Receiver Damian Williams, who sat out most of the OTAs, got some work in Thursday.

• Also missing on Thursday was Hekker, who was back in his hometown of Bothell, Wash., for Johnny Hekker Day.

Hekker tweeted: “I wouldn’t be where I am today without the great people around me growing up!”

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Man I wish I could get some Christian Bryant news...

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Thousands of comedians out of work and you guys are telling jokes...