Rams notes: Long shots get their shots/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Long shots get their shots
By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_71734306-0d35-5c0e-b75a-f43ce4c9808a.html

R.J. Dill is trying to stay optimistic. But he also is a realist.

“I know I can play this game. I just need an opportunity,’’ said Dill, a 6-foot-7, 310-pound tackle in training camp with the Rams. “I’m excited to be here and I’m thankful for the opportunity coach (Jeff) Fisher and the Rams have given me. I’m trying to make the most of every day, every rep, here and hopefully it’ll work out.

“But as a free agent, a bottom-of-the-roster guy, you have to be honest with yourself. I’m a day-to-day guy. Any day I report to the facility and have a chance to compete, it’s a great day.’’

Dill, who celebrated his 24th birthday Saturday, is one of five players the Rams signed in the days leading up to training camp to fill out the 90-man roster. The others: tackle D.J. Morrell, linebackers Pat Schiller and Lawrence Wilson plus defensive end Kourtnei Brown.

They’re clearly long shots to make the 53-man roster. But for now at least, they’re getting a chance to pursue their NFL dream.

“I love playing this game and I figure now’s the time to give it everything I can,’’ said Dill, a three-year starter at Maryland who finished his college career at Rutgers.

After signing as a free agent with Jacksonville, Dill spent time on the New England practice squad last season.

After a short offseason stint with Kansas City and some time in the Canadian Football League, he got a tryout and signed with the Rams.

Morrell, a 6-6, 325-pound tackle from Old Dominion, signed as an undrafted free agent with Detroit but was cut after offseason practices.

“The experience in Detroit helped because it gave me an idea how things work at this level, gave me a feel for the NFL locker room,’’ the 22-year-old said. “But I’m still trying to catch up here. I’m working to learn the playbook — the coaches and the guys have been real helpful — and trying to fit in as quickly as possible, doing whatever I can to catch somebody’s eye.’’

Schiller, a 6-2, 235-pound Northern Illinois product, was on the Atlanta practice squad in 2012 and was in camp twice with the Falcons.

“It’s a plus in some ways — you have a feel for how the league works — but it’s also a disadvantage not being with these guys through (offseason paractices),’’ he said. “Every day I’m here it’s an opportunity to get better and to play the game I love, the game I’ve been working at my whole life.’’

Like Schiller, Wilson, a 6-1, 229-pounder from the University of Connecticut, will seek to make an early impact on special teams.

“As a young player, you have to show you can play special teams first,’’ said Wilson, who was picked by Carolina in the sixth round of the 2011 draft and also spent time on Chicago’s practice squad. “It’s a 4-3 defense that I’m pretty familiar with, just a matter of getting the verbiage down.’’

While the others joined the team early last week, Brown wasn’t even contacted until Thursday evening, the night before the Rams’ first full-squad practice.

“I got the call at 7 p.m., landed here at 6:30 the next morning and was on the practice field in the afternoon,’’ the 6-4, 253-pounder from Clemson said. “It been a little overwhelming at times, but I’m catching on.’’

Brown was just released by Detroit. Previously, he had been with San Francisco, Washington and Buffalo.

“The key right now is making sure that I’m giving a good effort at all times,’’ he said. “I feel I’m here for a reason and hoping to make the most of the opportunity. With 32 teams in the NFL, all I need is one.’’

RAM-BLINGS

The team’s Sunday night workout drew 2,291 fans, one of the largest to watch a training camp workout at Rams Park.

• Cornerback Trumaine Johnson, who left practice early Saturday, joined guard Brandon Washington in sitting out Sunday’s practice. Others not practicing were tackle Jake Long, center Scott Wells, defensive end William Hayes, safety Christian Bryant, defensive end Ethan Westbrooks, fullback Kadeem Jones, linebacker Johnny Millard and defensive end Sammy Brown.

• Some highlight plays from Sunday’s workout included a Sam Bradford pass to Brian Quick, who boxed out Janoris Jenkins to make the catch at the back of the end zone.

There also was a nice inside move from Kenny Britt on Jenkins to come up with a pass from Bradford and a similarly sharp pass down the seam from Bradford to tight end Jared Cook.

On defense, Alex Carrington batted down a pass and safety Matt Daniels put a good hit on Isaiah Pead. (The first full-squad workout in pads isn’t until Tuesday.)

In an early-practice drill, rookie quarterback Garrett Gilbert displayed some nice touch on passes to tight ends Mason Brodine and Lance Kendricks.

• The next workout open to the public is slated for 3:30 p.m. Tuesday.