Rams notes: Locals Alexander, Hill enjoy first on-field action at Dome/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Rams notes: Locals Alexander, Hill enjoy first on-field action at Dome

• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_23e8618f-2084-5e6b-9a72-9a9c1770c314.html

The last time Maurice Alexander worked at the Edward Jones Dome, he was part of the cleaning crew. Saturday, he was there to practice with the Rams.

“It’s a blessing to be in this stadium again, with my family and friends watching me,” the rookie safety from Eureka High said following the FanFest workout at the Dome. “It’s just crazy being down here as a player. For me, it’s emotional because of the adversity and what I’ve been through and to have all these people here supporting me.

“It really is a dream come true.”

Early in 2012, while attending Utah State, Alexander was involved in a fight with a teammate following an off-campus party. As a result, Alexander pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of aggravated assault resulting from bodily injury and spent 45 days in a Utah jail.

“There was a lawsuit filed, and as a result the university suspended him for the 2012 season,” Rams coach Jeff Fisher said after the Rams selected Alexander with a fourth-round draft pick in May. “He came back here to St. Louis and worked at the Edward Jones Dome as a janitor, picked up, cleaned up after our ballgames for a year so he could financially pass the time before he was reinstated.”

Fisher and general manager Les Snead investigated the incident and also discussed it with Alexander during a pre-draft visit at Rams Park.

“He was very professional, very upfront, very honest,” Fisher said shortly after the draft. “We didn’t have a problem with it.”

Alexander, 23, returned to Utah State for the 2013 season and made the successful shift from linebacker to safety, contributing 80 tackles, 3 ½ sacks, six pass breakups and an interception. The 6-foot-1, 220-pound Alexander missed all but one practice in OTAs recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery but has been coming on strong in camp to earn some second-team reps.

“Wherever they need me, I’m there,” he said. “It’s football, man, the same as high school and college, just a different speed of the game. As a rookie, you’re going to make mistakes, but today I definitely feel like I took a step forward.”

Alexander wasn’t the only player with local ties to enjoy a solid FanFest workout. Linebacker Aaron Hill, an undrafted free agent from Lutheran St. Charles High and the University of Minnesota, had a big day Saturday, picking off a pass to end the two-minute drill and breaking through for what would’ve been a pair of sacks — one in a drill with the running backs and another in the “live” scrimmage that wrapped up practice.

“It’s my first time playing in the Dome, and I definitely enjoyed the experience,” the 23-year-old said. “Getting a chance to play for my hometown team and to do it in front of my family and friends, it was definitely special.”

And the big plays?

“In the two-minute, everybody on the defense did their job,” he said. Defensive coordinator “Gregg Williams made a great call, and we just executed, and we were able to score on defense to end the game.”

RAM-BLINGS

Saturday’s FanFest at the Edward Jones Dome drew a crowd of 15,723.

“This puts an exclamation point on a real good week of training camp practice,” Fisher said. “The players are always excited to come down for this event, particularly for the fan participation and the attendance. ... I think the fans got to see a lot of good things today, as we did from a coaching standpoint.

“A lot of big plays down the field. If there’s any question about (Sam Bradford’s) ability to play the position, I think it was answered here, at least early in camp. Some great throws today.”

Some other highlights:

• While warming up, Greg Zuerlein booted a 63-yard field goal that bounced off the cross bar and through. Later, after coming up short on a 65-yarder, the crowd cheered for another try. But that, too, came up short.

• Rookie running back Tre Mason received the bulk of the work in the live session to wrap up practice. The third-round draft choice has shown excellent quickness and cutback ability. He and returning starter Zac Stacy seem to complement each other.

• The list of players not practicing Saturday was longer than usual, no doubt to give them back-to-back days off before training camp resumes on Monday. That 3:30 p.m. practice will be free and open to the public.

Not taking part in the FanFest workout were linebacker James Laurinaitis, defensive end William Hayes, cornerback Janoris Jenkins, receiver Brian Quick, guard Rodger Saffold, center/guard Barrett Jones, cornerback Lamarcus Joyner, guard Brandon Washington, safety Christian Bryant, cornerback Jarrid Bryant, linebacker Johnny Millard, running back Trey Watts, fullback Kadeem Jones, and linebacker Pat Schiller.

Defensive tackle Michael Brockers appeared to suffer a foot/ankle injury Saturday, but it didn’t appear serious.

• NFL Network host Andrew Siciliano, the preseason television voice of the Rams, was on hand to get a look at the team Saturday. The Rams open the preseason at home Friday, taking on the New Orleans Saints at 7 p.m. at the Edward Jones Dome.