Rams notes: Joyner brings "Honey Badger" qualities to Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Joyner brings "Honey Badger" qualities to Rams
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_bda97dfe-cc88-5b88-80e5-e28d869bfada.html

NFL scouts are among many who have made the comparison, and Lamarcus Joyner has heard them. Joyner, drafted Friday by the Rams with the ninth pick of the second round, plays the nickel and free safety positions, isn’t a blazer and is undersized, but plays with a lot of passion and with good instinct.

Kind of like Tyrann Mathieu, aka the “Honey Badger,” who was a rookie for the Arizona Cardinals in 2013. Joyner is 5-feet-8, 184 pounds. Mathieu is 5-9, 188.

“Yes, I’ve heard it,” Joyner said of the comparison. “I respect Tyrann Mathieu and everything he did. He’s a great football player and he’s gonna be a great football player in the NFL.

“But I want to be compared to no one. I’m Lamarcus Joyner. He’s Tyrann Mathieu. He’s a great player. I’m on my way to being a great player. I respect him. But I just want to let everybody know, I’m just Lamarcus Joyner.”

Point taken.

Teammates AGAIN

Running back Tre Mason is joining an Auburn teammate from this past season in offensive lineman Greg Robinson, who was selected by the Rams in Round 1. And Joyner will reunite with a former teammate — in fact a former teammate in the Florida State secondary — in Greg Reid.

Reid has had some off-field issues and was jailed for a probation violation after being signed by the Rams in late March as a rookie free agent. Reid has been at Rams Park for several weeks now.

“Oh man, that’s gonna be great,” Joyner said. “It’s so special to watch a guy like Greg Reid be recruited before me coming out of high school. And I was able to play at Florida State with him before he went through his devastating moment.

“And now to see him at the next level, and I’m coming right behind him again. Nothing’s changed but the weather. It’s like deja vu. I love Greg Reid. He’s a great person. He’s a great friend.”

Mason’s role

Coach Jeff Fisher indicated that Mason, picked Friday in the third round, would be a change-of-pace back for the Rams. That is a pretty strong indication that he’ll be the team’s No. 2 back, behind starter Zac Stacy. Fisher’s teams generally carry a lot of running backs, but Isaiah Pead and/or Daryl Richardson could be on notice.

SURPRISE PICK?

Unlike the Rams’ first three selections in this year’s draft, Mason said he had very little contact with the team during the pre-draft process. Mason said he talked with the Rams at the NFL scouting combine.

But he didn’t speak with the Rams at Auburn’s pro day, didn’t make a “top-30” visit to Rams Park and didn’t take part in the private workout for Auburn teammate Greg Robinson.

“I really didn’t know if they were going to (take me) at any time,” Mason said. “Because I haven’t spoke the Rams a lot.”

But there was definitely a familiarity factor.

“I’ve known Jeff Fisher for a while,” Mason said. “His son Trent Fisher goes to Auburn, so it’s a good place to land. I’m happy to be a Ram.”

COMING UP NEXT

Day three of the draft today will be a busy one for the Rams. Even though they traded a fifth-rounder to Buffalo to move up for Lamarcus Joyner in Round 2 on Friday, they still have seven picks to make.

The Rams will open today’s proceedings with one pick in the fourth round, then have two picks in the sixth round and four in the seventh. One of the sixth-rounders and two of the seventh-rounders are compensatory picks, awarded in March at the owners’ meetings. And one of the seventh-rounders came in the trade of cornerback Josh Gordy to Indianapolis in 2012.

After passing on a quarterback in Round 3 on Friday, that could be the position the team targets in Round 4. It almost has to be, because the Rams don’t have a fifth-round pick.

Only two quarterbacks were taken Friday, both in Round 2: Fresno State’s Derek Carr (to Oakland), and Eastern Illinois’ Jimmy Garoppolo (to New England).

The Rams had shown interest in Carr and Garoppolo. Among those still available are Pittsburgh’s Tom Savage, Alabama’s A.J. McCarron, Georgia’s Aaron Murray, South Carolina’s Connor Shaw and Southern Methodist’s Garrett Gilbert.

In that group, Savage paid a “top-30” visit to Rams Park. McCarron, Murray, and Gilbert had private workouts with the Rams. As for Shaw, the Rams scheduled private workouts with him twice but had to cancel both times.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A look at the Rams' latest draft picks
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f0ac4987-fe04-57ff-a825-ff9e0eb22084.html

Lamarcus Joyner, safety/cornerback, Florida State

Height: 5-8 • Weight: 184

Strengths: A solid athlete with quick feet and flexible hips, Joyner started at safety as a sophomore and junior and shifted to cornerback last fall as the Seminoles changed defenses. Highly competitive, with good vision and ball skills.

Weaknesses: Size is a concern, as some question his ability to withstand a full 16-game season. His speed (4.55 in the 40) is average for the position. Where will he fit best, at safety or cornerback?

Scout’s view: “Small and not really blazing fast, but Joyner is a football junkie with an innate feel for the game. ... Joyner played safety and corner in a college career that included 15 pass deflections, eight interceptions and an average of 24.23 on kickoffs. Frankly, Joyner plays much bigger than he measures ... hits like a linebacker.” Frank Cooney, NFLDraftScout.com.

Prognosis: Rams again fill a need with a versatile defensive back who should be able to help right away as a safety and in the nickel package. In 13 games as a senior, he had 69 tackles, 5½ sacks, four passes broken up and two interceptions.

Tre Mason, running back, Auburn

Height: 5-8 • Weight: 207

Strengths: A super-productive (1,816 yards, 24 touchdowns) back who averaged 5.8 yards a carry in his Tiger career, Mason has a low center of gravity and excels a making abrupt jump-cuts to dart through holes. Runs bigger than his size and finishes runs. Also has kick-return experience.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal size for an NFL back and could stand to add some bulk to help withstand the pounding in the NFL. Wasn’t used much as a pass-catcher at Auburn and needs to do a better job of protecting the ball — eight fumbles in the last two seasons. Like most young backs, he’ll need to work on his pass protection.

Scout’s view: “The SEC Player of the Year, Mason is a compactly built, nifty-footed runner with a balanced skill set to merit 20 touches per game at the next level. Fits in multiple schemes and has the chops to make an impact as a rookie.’’ NFL.com.

Prognosis: The Rams reunited Mason with main blocker, first-rounder Greg Robinson; the two were key to the Auburn ground game that led the NCAA last fall, averaging 328.3 yards per game. Mason broke Bo Jackson’s single-season rushing record and enjoyed a monster game against Missouri in the SEC title game, finishing with 304 yards and four touchdowns on 36 carries. He should team with second-year back Zac Stacy to form a dynamic one-two backfield combo.