Rams notes: Healthy again, McGee hopes to help on defense, special teams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Healthy again, McGee hopes to help on defense, special teams
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_05fe8406-f937-5c53-b36a-f33a2aa9de6f.html

After dealing with an ankle injury through much of the preseason, Rams defensive back Brandon McGee had his patience tested.

“When you get hurt at a key time like that, it’s devastating,’’ the second-year pro from the University of Miami said. “You want to be out there, you want to compete, but you also have to be smart about it. If you go out there before you’re ready, you’re taking a chance on hurting the team and yourself.

“I tried to be positive, knowing it’s all part of God’s plan.’’

But McGee, a fifth-round draft pick in 2013, is healthy and “back to my normal self.’’

“Just trying to stay ready, staying on top of the game plan and ready to contribute in any way I’m needed,’’ he said. “I’m looking forward to the opportunity to get back on the field and play and be effective.’’

The 5-foot-11, 193-pound McGee was in on 15 special-teams plays in the loss to Minnesota and could be in line for some defensive action this week with nickel back Lamarcus Joyner dealing with a back issue.

“I’m probably more comfortable outside,’’ he said. “But worked in the nickel during OTAs and I’ve also been part of the dime package, too. The time is here for me to step up and I’m ready to do whatever the coaches ask me to do.’’

McGee played in 15 games as a rookie, contributing 10 tackles on defense and tying for third on the squad with six special-teams tackles.

INJURY REPORT

Quarterback Shaun Hill (thigh) was limited in practice Friday and is listed as questionable for Sunday’s game in Tampa Bay against the Buccaneers.

Also questionable is defensive back Joyner, who did not practice.

Tampa Bay placed defensive end and Webster Groves High product Adrian Clayborn on injured reserve Friday with a biceps injury. Clayborn, a first-round draft pick in 2011, missed all but three games of the 2012 season with a knee injury.

The Buccaneers also ruled out starting defensive end Michael Johnson (ankle) as well as tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins (ankle) and cornerback Rashaan Melvin (ankle).

Listed as questionable are defensive end Da’Quan Bowers (abdomen), defensive end William Gholston (shoulder), guard London Mankins (knee), running back Doug Martin (knee) and safety Bradley McDougald (knee). Tackle Demar Dotson (hamstring) is probable.

TAKING A CHANCE

Down 20-3 early in the final quarter Sunday, the Rams took a chance with an all-out rush on a Vikings punt. But the Rams’ Chase Reynolds came up a bit short and was called for roughing the kicker.

Three plays later, Minnesota scored on a Matt Cassel-to-Kyle Rudloph pass to stretch its lead to 27-3.

“It was kind of a do-or-die situation,’’ said Reynolds, who led the Rams with a pair of special-teams tackles. “Coach called it and I had an opportunity to get through and get close, but all I could do was kind of try to spread out and hope to get it.

“Of course, it would’ve been better if I could’ve got there and stayed off the punter ...”

Reynolds did make contact and Vikings punter Jeff Locke responded as expected, going down as if he’d been shot, to draw the 15-yard penalty and extend the drive.

But the Rams needed something — anything — in a game where the offense struggled mightily.

“I got there, I targeted the ball and I missed,’’ Reynolds said.

RAM-BLINGS

According to the NFL, the Rams are both the youngest (average age: 25.15) and least-experienced (3.26 years) team in the league this season. The Rams are tied with defending Super Bowl champion Seattle for the fewest players age 30 or over — quarterback Hill (34), center Scott Wells (33) and guard Davin Joseph (30).

• Rams receiver Brian Quick was fined $8,268 for grabbing the facemask of the Vikings’ Captain Munnerlyn. Quick later explained that his fingers got caught when he was stiff-arming Munnerlyn.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Tampa Bay placed defensive end and Webster Groves High product Adrian Clayborn on injured reserve Friday with a biceps injury. Clayborn, a first-round draft pick in 2011, missed all but three games of the 2012 season with a knee injury.

The Buccaneers also ruled out starting defensive end Michael Johnson (ankle) as well as tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins (ankle) and cornerback Rashaan Melvin (ankle).

Listed as questionable are defensive end Da’Quan Bowers (abdomen), defensive end William Gholston (shoulder), guard London Mankins (knee), running back Doug Martin (knee) and safety Bradley McDougald (knee). Tackle Demar Dotson (hamstring) is probable.
It would appear TB's D is pretty banged-up!:D

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
With our QB situation the way it is, we need to keep the game plan simple and execute. Now that doesn't mean we don't take shots down field or anything like that. It means no ridiculous long developing plays and trying to outsmart yourself. Just play SMART football. Execution will bring effectiveness and higher probability thus more chance for success :)

iced

Lol wow... i didn't know tampa was that hurt...both starting de's out, both back up de's are questionable..

if shaun hill starts and you need a receiver in ff,brian quick probably wouldn't be a bad wr3/flex play