Rams Notes: Dunbar, Williams Reunite — again/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Dunbar, Williams reunite — again
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_437aeffc-3323-5529-8c56-39081bdced63.html

Not long after the Rams hired Gregg Williams as their defensive coordinator, linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar was touting the move to teammates.

“It was the second go-around for me because I was telling them the same thing a couple of years ago,’’ Dunbar said following Thursday’s practice session at Rams Park.

When Dunbar first signed with the Rams in 2012, it was to play for Williams, his defensive coordinator during the previous three seasons in New Orleans. But not long after being hired here, Williams was suspended by the NFL for his role in the “Bountygate’’ pay for performance scandal with the Saints.

After sitting out 2012 and serving as a senior assistant with Tennessee a year ago, Williams and Dunbar have been reunited.

“Absolutely, you can (see) the difference, even after just a couple of days,’’ the seventh-year pro said. “Guys are getting after it, fighting for loose balls and trying to make things happen. Every guy I know who’s played for Gregg loves him.

“He has a confidence about him that’s reflected in the way guys play for him. He’s an honest, straight-forward guy who believes in togetherness and toughness, a guy who puts you in situations where you can be successful both individually and as a team.’’

Williams’ defenses are known for their aggressive and attacking style. In 15 seasons as a defensive coordinator and head coach in the NFL, he has presided over five top-five defenses.

“We’re going to probably be more creative (on defense),’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said when asked about Williams’ impact. “We hope to create some more problems, different types of problems for offenses. In addition to Gregg running the defense, our defense is significantly better just from a personnel standpoint right now.’’

Dunbar said Williams expects a lot from his players.

“When you’re not playing well, he’ll pull you off to the side and have you do 40 up-downs by yourself or maybe as a whole unit and, yes, that (stinks) when it’s 95 degrees and you’re just trying to get through practice,’’ Dunbar said. “But once we buy into Gregg’s system and bring it all together, we’re going to be playing some lights-out football.’’

BETTER LATE...

After missing two weeks of conditioning work and meetings, rookie tackle Mitchell Van Dyk is trying to catch up. But at least now he is doing it at Rams Park.

The first of the team’s four seventh-round selections in last month’s NFL draft, Van Dyk was not sure when he’d be able to report because his school, Portland State, is on the quarter system. In 1990, the NFL adopted a rule that limits players to a single minicamp when college is still in session.

Van Dyke, who was working toward a degree in criminology and criminal justice, was not scheduled to graduate until June 15.

“I was working out and studying the playbook back in Portland, but I knew that if I didn’t get here soon, I’d be at a real disadvantage,’’ the 23-year-old said.

All that stood between Van Dyk and his degree was his internship working in a crime-prevention program at City Hall in Portland. So, after clearing it with some key people at Portland State, he stepped up the pace to get the required hours.

“I was able to knock out the last 50 or 60 hours,’’ he said. “It took a lot of work, a lot off paperwork and phone calls, but it was definitely worth it.’’

The 6-foot-7, 299-pound Van Dyk arrived over the weekend and was on the field when the Rams began practices this week.

“I’m still catching up, but I’m learning all the time,’’ he said. “It’s just great to be here, getting to know the coaches and the players, and being on the same page as the other guys. There’s a ton to learn, but the vets have been really helpful and the rookies, we get together in the conference room at the hotel to run through plays.’’

And his diploma?

“It’ll be mailed to my house,’’ he said. “I’m done with school and I’m 100 percent focused on football.’’

RAM-BLINGS

Thursday’s practice, the first open to the media, produced a spirited workout that included a handful of minor skirmishes that drew the ire of coach Fisher.

Offseason addition Kenny Britt, a receiver who Fisher described as “an emotional player,’’ hauled in a couple of deep passes and followed up with some trash talk.

Later, he and cornerback Trumaine Johnson had a scuffle that prompted Fisher to stop practice briefly.

“Just let ’em know that we have some rules we have to abide by,’’ Fisher said. “Learn to protect each other a little bit.’’

• Coming off knee surgery, quarterback Sam Bradford will take part in about half off the practices over the next three weeks. His throws Thursday were limited to some walk-through work, but he will be a full participant today.

• Not practicing Thursday as they rehab assorted injuries were tackle Jake Long, defensive end William Hayes, running back Chase Reynolds, safety Matt Daniels and rookie safeties Maurice Alexander (Eureka High) and Christian Bryant. Veteran center Scott Wells was excused from Thursday’s workout but is expected back today.

• Paintball with the Rams, an event to benefit St. Patrick Center and sack homelessness, will be held Saturday at Gateway Paintball Park in Bridgeton.

Cost is $1,000 for a team of 10 or $100 per player, and includes lunch as well as soda and water. Registration will run from 9-9:30 a.m., with round-robin action with Rams players from 10 a.m. until 1 pm.

For more information, go to stpatrickcenter.org/events.