Rams Notes: Cornerback Troy Hill gets first real test in win over Seahawks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
[www.ocregister.com]

Rams Notes: Cornerback Troy Hill gets first real test in win over Seahawks

LOS ANGELES – On Sunday afternoon, Troy Hill smiled and pointed into the stands at the Coliseum, where just over a dozen of his friends and family sat.

Once an all-conference cornerback at Oregon, the 25-year-old has bounced around the league since going undrafted in 2015. The Cincinnati Bengals signed him, waived him, signed him to their practice squad, and waived him again. Last Christmas, the New England Patriots signed him, then waived him five days later.

That was when the Rams bit, claiming him off waivers on Dec. 30 – giving him the chance to climb up to depth chart this summer, and eventually earn first-string reps in a 9-3 win over the Seahawks.

Asked to reflect on his journey after the game, Hill sat by his locker and said, “Damn. Long way.”

Before this weekend, the 5-foot-10 cornerback had seen just 88 snaps in the NFL – with the vast majority of those coming on special teams. He looked to be on the roster bubble at the start of training camp at UC Irvine, but worked his way into the rotation as a backup. Against Seattle, the Rams (1-1) threw him into the fire, subbing him in over Coty Sensabaugh, a former fourth-round pick they signed in March.

The results were mixed. Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson started picking on Hill early in the second quarter. The first try turned into a 40-yard gain for Tyler Lockett – but Hill drew an offensive pass interference flag and negated the play. Three plays later, Hill broke up a deep ball to Paul Richardson, forcing Seattle into one of their seven punts.

But late in the fourth quarter, Lockett burned him for a 53-yard catch, the longest play in the game by either team. It set up the Seahawks (1-1) on the Rams’ 35-yard line, threatening a comeback that linebacker Alec Ogletree snuffed out with a forced fumble and recovery.

“They took, I don’t know how many shots at me,” said Hill, who had expected to play only a couple of defensive series. “I was just an unproven corner, so I’ve got to expect that.”

Whatever ups and downs he had, none of them could ruin what amounted to a dream homecoming. Hill was raised in Youngstown, Ohio – one of the most economically depressed cities in the United States – but moved to Ventura as a high school freshman to live with his uncle, Jim Gilmer. There, he starred for St. Bonaventure High, located roughly seven miles from where the Rams held OTAs this summer.

“Everything came out perfect for us,” Hill said. “We were reunited.”

STAR-STUDDED
True to form, the stars came out to welcome the Rams back to Los Angeles.

Before the Coliseum hosted its first NFL regular-season game since Dec. 24, 1994, the Red Hot Chili Peppers wore Rams jerseys and performed two songs: “Can’t Stop” and “Dark Necessities” – curiously eschewing the more California-focused parts of their discography.

After the short set, lead singer Anthony Kiedis – who shed his No. 16 Jared Goff jersey halfway through this performance – remained on stage afterward to announce the Rams’ starting defense as it ran onto the field.

During the first quarter, “The Late Late Show” host James Corden danced in the end zone with the Rams’ cheerleaders, wearing a similar outfit.

Other big names in the audience included LeBron James, Magic Johnson, L.A. mayor Eric Garcetti and actress Elizabeth Banks. Shortly after the game, the Emmys began less than four miles away at L.A. Live.

EXTRA POINTS
For the second week in a row, defensive end Robert Quinn raised his right fist during the pregame national anthem – part of the movement that 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick has sparked to protest the oppression of black Americans and other people of color. However, he was not joined this time by receiver Kenny Britt, who had also raised his fist during the season opener. … The Rams donned their throwback jerseys Sunday, pleasing many fans who have yearned for the old L.A. colors. “Everybody in the locker room loves the throwbacks,” quarterback Case Keenum said. “Something about that blue and yellow that go together.”

Having read that, EJ Gaines cannot get healthy soon enough!

Contact the writer: jwang@scng.com

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Many who observed Training Camp felt Hill was the best cover corner on the field with the exception of Johnson and I thought he had mixed results in this game, but was very pleased he did not give up on the play and was able to immediately make the tackle to ensure Lockett did not end up scoring.

I still believe that Gaines is superior, however, I would like to see if knowing he's starting how Hill would handle the situation.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Many who observed Training Camp felt Hill was the best cover corner on the field with the exception of Johnson and I thought he had mixed results in this game, but was very pleased he did not give up on the play and was able to immediately make the tackle to ensure Lockett did not end up scoring.

I still believe that Gaines is superior, however, I would like to see if knowing he's starting how Hill would handle the situation.
I had to LOL yesterday! I was just screaming at the TV Screen, saying "Get Sensabaugh the F--K out of their, and put Hill in, when the Rams did just that!:LOL:
I think Hill, for his 1st game, did just fine, maybe a few Hick-ups, But Basically a good sound performance! I hope it was enough to keep Sensabaugh on the Bench!!(y)

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was a very good game in my book. The article makes it seemed like he wasnt in position on any one of those plays saying he got Burned, he was in great postion on every throw and the one Lockett caught thay was just a great pass and catch lockett adjusted to the ball on his left shoulder when He and Hill thought is was going to be on the right shoulder, because if it was it would have ended up as a PBU, but he made the tackle and that tackle utlimately won the game.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I I was just screaming at the TV Screen, saying "Get Sensabaugh the F--K out of their, and put Hill in,

Any Ram fan worth his or her salt were clamoring the exact same sentiment. I was shocked too when they put Hill out there, but happy they did. I'm glad that Gregg Williams made the change and it would be nice to get Gaines back because IMO, the defense will be set, however, glad that it seems like it's Hill over Sensabaugh moving forward.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm not sure how many former DB's we have here in ROD, but most would say that Troy Hill did fine....in a very tough situation...Lets see how he does against Winston this week....

He had pretty tight coverage on every throw...and had a chance at the ball....That's all you can ask for a first time starter...He'll definitely get better...

Psycho_X

Legend
Agreed with the above that Hill looked good. It wasn't a perfect outing but at least he was on his guy even if he lost the matchup on occasion. I'm not sure Sensabaugh keeps up and tackled Lockett at the end there with as lost and badly he kept getting beat. Hill isn't perfect but he plays hard and is at least in position to make a play whether it's preventing a catch or at worst at least preventing a touchdown. Plus he tackles like he's 50 pounds heavier. I'll take that over what we've seen so far out of who he replaced.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Gaines is the key to this defense getting back into form but Hill should provide a decent buffer until then. I just can't take seeing Sensabaugh out there anymore.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
That was a very good game in my book. The article makes it seemed like he wasnt in position on any one of those plays saying he got Burned, he was in great postion on every throw and the one Lockett caught thay was just a great pass and catch lockett adjusted to the ball on his left shoulder when He and Hill thought is was going to be on the right shoulder, because if it was it would have ended up as a PBU, but he made the tackle and that tackle utlimately won the game.
I still can't believe Tavon Austin isn't sent deep like Lockett is 3-4 times a game. He's faster, more agile and gets off the line quicker. Just blows my mind.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
he may have gotten burned for 53 yards on that play but at least he made that shoestring tackle cause if not Lockett's gone and we lose

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I disagree on the PI play. He was in good position but the ball was under thrown. WR stopped for the ball and he made contact. Not much he can do in that situation other than turn and look back for the ball if he has time. He didn't.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still can't believe Tavon Austin isn't sent deep like Lockett is 3-4 times a game. He's faster, more agile and gets off the line quicker. Just blows my mind.

One of the great mysteries in life. Maybe they'll send him once goff is the starter.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like a CB who can look back for the ball and still stay in coverage . The kid does both

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I disagree on the PI play. He was in good position but the ball was under thrown. WR stopped for the ball and he made contact. Not much he can do in that situation other than turn and look back for the ball if he has time. He didn't.

My thoughts exactly. He actually tried to turn at the last second but it was a tic too late. It happens. But he is one of the few corners the Rams have had that regularly turns to the ball when it's close as he's playing the trail technique on long balls. The kid impressed me. Sensebaugh has NOTHING over Hill.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
he may have gotten burned for 53 yards on that play but at least he made that shoestring tackle cause if not Lockett's gone and we lose

Exactly... That tackle..WHEW! I thought he did great. Especially being a bit dinged and Wussell hammering it on him most of the game.