Rams notes: Cook apologizes for shoving Davis/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Cook apologizes for shoving Davis
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_5d25a766-0c40-5dd5-a497-657681f1219b.html

From a Rams perspective, it wasn’t the prettiest moment in Sunday’s Rams-Cowboys game.

Tight end Jared Cook had just bobbled and dropped what would’ve been a lead-extending touchdown pass from quarterback Austin Davis on third-and-3 from the Dallas 10.

A touchdown would’ve given the Rams a 28-20 lead with 13 minutes 28 seconds to play. Instead, they settled for a Greg Zuerlein field goal and a 24-20 advantage.

In what ended up as a 34-31 Cowboys victory, it was four points lost for the Rams. Cook was upset with himself and took it out on Davis a few seconds later on the St. Louis sideline. Davis came up to console Cook, and Cook responded by aggressively shoving Davis.

Defensive end William Hayes, with help from defensive end Robert Quinn, pulled Cook away and tried to calm him down.

“I was just mad,” Cook said in the locker room after the game. “(Davis) was just trying to talk to me. It was just one of those times where you want to be on your own, you know? He was just being a good teammate.”

Davis said the sideline blowup was heat of the moment, and no big deal.

“Obviously, he can’t put this game on himself,” Davis said. “You can go down the list, there were numerous plays that we all could’ve made to change the outcome of the game.

“On the sidelines, we’re all frustrated, trying to keep it together. I mean, that stuff happens all the time. We talked, we’re fine. I didn’t even think twice of it.”

Cook had trouble with drops last season, but Sunday’s drop was his first of 2014. Davis threw the ball before Cook even made his break and hit him in stride in the end zone.

Cook finished with seven catches for 75 yards, matching his single-game high for receptions as a Ram.

Several hours after the game, Cook issued an apology via his Twitter account (@jaredcook89):

“There is never an excuse for unsportsmanlike conduct and I apologize to everyone. I want to thank my teammates again, Austin Davis and William Hayes, for their support on the sidelines, the Rams on the sidelines, and especially to all our fans for whom we fight so hard for your love and your continued support.”

BIRONAS DEATH

A couple of hours after the game, coach Jeff Fisher issued a statement on the death of former Tennessee Titans kicker Rob Bironas in a car crash Saturday night in Nashville at age 36.

“I had six great years with Rob in Tennessee,” Fisher said in the statement. “He was a great player as well as an outstanding teammate. While he made memorable contributions on the field, his work and character off the field were just as significant. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife Rachel, and the Bironas and Bradshaw families.”

Bironas’ wife is the daughter of Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw.

SITTING IT OUT

Rams inactives Sunday were: WR/punt returner Tavon Austin (knee), CB Trumaine Johnson (knee), C/G Barrett Jones (back), CB Brandon McGee (foot), RB Tre Mason, S Maurice Alexander and QB Case Keenum.

With Keenum sitting, the Rams dressed only two quarterbacks with Shaun Hill (thigh) backing up Davis. FB/TE Cory Harkey played despite missing most of the practice week with a sprained knee.

Because of Harkey’s injury, the team dressed a fourth tight end just in case: undrafted rookie Alex Bayer, who saw his first NFL action.

RAM-BLINGS

• Fisher reported no Rams injuries after the game.

• Rams owner Stan Kroenke was in the house Sunday.

• For the second week in a row, Davis spread the ball around, once again completing at least one pass to eight different receivers.

jjab360

Legend
I hope he gets his shit together, because he's basically impossible to cover with his size and speed. If he can keep the stupid mental mistakes to a minimum I think he'll be fine. That's a big if though, and blowing up on your QB for your mistake is inexcusable.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
There is nothing about this guy I like. I was not crazy about the signing and he is proving he has already reached his ceiling. I know he is a mismatch nightmare but with all his talents and speed, he has and probably always will be a 50/500 yrd guy. He is borderline lazy and can not block. I can find 10 guys who can catch 50 balls for 500 yards, block better and will cost us half of what Cook does.

Sorry for the rant.....this guy just frustrates me, could be, should be better but at the end of the day he is just average at best.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I'm glad he made the apology. For anyone who's played sports and has made a bonehead play like that, that level of frustration is off the charts. I'm sure he regrets it and it won't happen again. He seems like a pretty cool guy.

fearsomefour

Legend
There is nothing about this guy I like. I was not crazy about the signing and he is proving he has already reached his ceiling. I know he is a mismatch nightmare but with all his talents and speed, he has and probably always will be a 50/500 yrd guy. He is borderline lazy and can not block. I can find 10 guys who can catch 50 balls for 500 yards, block better and will cost us half of what Cook does.

Sorry for the rant.....this guy just frustrates me, could be, should be better but at the end of the day he is just average at best.
I would like this 10 times if I could. Agree totally.
Perfect example of a guy who has great height, speed ect but struggles to put it together. I dont know if I have ever seen a more un natural looking receiver. Bottom line to me, he is not a player. He is an athlete disguised as a football player. Again, I hope I am proven wrong by Cook but so far the guy is a disaster of a signing to me.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'm glad he made the apology. For anyone who's played sports and has made a bonehead play like that, that level of frustration is off the charts. I'm sure he regrets it and it won't happen again. He seems like a pretty cool guy.
Yeah absolutelty. I really think he had a great game aside from the dropped TD which was unfortunate. Cook and Quick are looking like Davis' two favorite targets and Cook played one of his best games since he came over. I'll cut him some slack. It was a tough game for all parties involved.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Glad he made the apology.

Now, Cook ... grow the f up. Learn to play with max effort, learn to actually block (given your physique and athleticism, there's no excuse for you not to be good in this area), run your routes fully, and for God's sake, learn to make the easy catches instead of just hard ones.

For all your physical gifts and talents, you don't play up to them.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
You couldn't find 10 guys that can do what Cook does that cost half of what he does.

Don't be sensational.

Cook is a 7M cap hit this year and moves to 8M next year. Here is what I got

Delaine Walker 60/571 4M
Jordan Cameron 80/917 1.5M
Charles Clay 67/759 1.4M
Julius Thomas 65/788 741K
Tim Wright 54/571 495K
Brandon Myers 47/522 2M
Garrett Graham 49/545 3.2M
Zack Ertz 36/469 1.5M
Spend a little extra and still cheaper than Cook
M Bennett 65/759 6M
Greg Olsen 73/816 6M

I came pretty close and the only thing sensational is I barely put any effort in this. You can even toss in names like Coby Fleener, Scott Chandler and Tony Gonzalez if he wanted to come out of retirement.

You can find them, don't be sensational. :)

RamzFanz

Damnit
If Cook WASN'T pissed I'd be more worried. He was frustrated and he acted out and apologized. Give it up. It was nothing.

Cook is the best TE the Rams have EVER had. Yes, he started last season with drops but he tightened it up and he's been good ever since. It sucks he dropped that pass. What sucks more is that the coaching staff doesn't know that if you absolutely need a pass caught, you send in Pettis or Kendricks. And I don't get the pitch to Cook at all. That would be a great play for Bailey or Watts.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Cook is a 7M cap hit this year and moves to 8M next year. Here is what I got

Delaine Walker 60/571 4M
Charles Clay 67/759 1.4M
Tim Wright 54/571 495K
Brandon Myers 47/522 2M
Zack Ertz 36/469 1.5M

I came pretty close and the only thing sensational is I barely put any effort in this. You can even toss in names like Coby Fleener, Scott Chandler and Tony Gonzalez if he wanted to come out of retirement.

You can find them, don't be sensational. :)

Alright, we'll start with taking Bennett and Olsen off the list since they're not getting paid half of what Cook is making, which was what you said. I mean may as well bring up Gronk and Graham if we're thinking that way.

Delaine Walker 60/571 4M
Charles Clay 67/759 1.4M
Tim Wright 54/571 495K
Brandon Myers 47/522 2M
Zack Ertz 36/469 1.5M

Now how many of those players are on their rookie contracts. We didn't have the choice of signing Cook or signing those guys. If your argument is we should've passed up on one of our draftees (go ahead, which player shouldn't we have drafted) you have to factor that into the cost.

Delaine Walker 60/571 4M

Brandon Myers is a terrible blocker. Even worse than Cook. Not sure about Graham so I'll leave him on the list. (Edit: After doing some research, Graham is a terrible blocker as well.)

Delaine Walker 60/571 4M

So we're left with Delanie Walker, who I actually like a lot, and Garrett Graham. Both of which fell over 100 yards shy of Jared Cook's numbers from last year, which are likely going to be even better this year.

You can't find a weapon like Cook unless you happen to draft a project player like Cameron or Thomas that happens to work out, but you and I both know that the likelihood of that is small, or you pay up to get a player like Cook.

So yes Boston, I think you're being sensational.

Last edited:

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Glad he apologized.
Stan was in the house yesterday ? They didnt show him TV!

moklerman

Warner-phile
I agree with Boston. Cook doesn't provide such a marked difference with what he can do that couldn't be drafted. Especially not for the difference in cost. Cook's being paid like he's in the Gronk/Graham conversation and he's not even close. He's better than a scrub but not worth the money at all.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Alright, we'll start with taking Bennett and Olsen off the list since they're not getting paid half of what Cook is making, which was what you said. I mean may as well bring up Gronk and Graham if we're thinking that way.

Delaine Walker 60/571 4M
Charles Clay 67/759 1.4M
Tim Wright 54/571 495K
Brandon Myers 47/522 2M
Zack Ertz 36/469 1.5M

Now how many of those players are on their rookie contracts. We didn't have the choice of signing Cook or signing those guys. If your argument is we should've passed up on one of our draftees (go ahead, which player shouldn't we have drafted) you have to factor that into the cost.

Delaine Walker 60/571 4M

Brandon Myers is a terrible blocker. Even worse than Cook. Not sure about Graham so I'll leave him on the list. (Edit: After doing some research, Graham is a terrible blocker as well.)

Delaine Walker 60/571 4M

So we're left with Delanie Walker, who I actually like a lot, and Garrett Graham. Both of which fell over 100 yards shy of Jared Cook's numbers from last year, which are likely going to be even better this year.

You can't find a weapon like Cook unless you happen to draft a project player like Cameron or Thomas that happens to work out, but you and I both know that the likelihood of that is small, or you pay up to get a player like Cook.

So yes Boston, I think you're being sensational.

I think its safe to say you completely missed my point.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My first thought when I saw this happen, was 'What the F--k is this S--t shoving you own QB! I thought he should have been benched, for the rest of the game for it!! I'll accept his apology, but he needs to learn to control his rage, and take it out on the opponent!
jared-cook-shoves-austin-davis.gif

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I think its safe to say you completely missed my point.

How so? Here's what you said:

I know he is a mismatch nightmare but with all his talents and speed, he has and probably always will be a 50/500 yrd guy. He is borderline lazy and can not block. I can find 10 guys who can catch 50 balls for 500 yards, block better and will cost us half of what Cook does.

He's was almost a 700 yard guy, not a 500 yard guy, and this year he's on pace to do even better.

You said you could name ten, but only two of the players you listed did what cook did last year and they were 4th round project pics that happened to work out. If your argument was we should've drafted a former basketball player in the 4th round and expect them to put up Cook-like numbers, then yes, I guess I missed your point.

Cook is a weapon and he's better than most receiving TEs in the NFL. I don't like everything about him, but you're not going to get a threat like him for cheap.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
How so? Here's what you said:

He's was almost a 700 yard guy, not a 500 yard guy, and this year he's on pace to do even better.

You said you could name ten, but only two of the players you listed did what cook did last year and they were 4th round project pics that happened to work out. If your argument was we should've drafted a former basketball player in the 4th round and expect them to put up Cook-like numbers, then yes, I guess I missed your point.

Cook is a weapon and he's better than most receiving TEs in the NFL. I don't like everything about him, but you're not going to get a threat like him for cheap.

As said, you missed my point. I was ranting but since you wont let it go, I disagree he is better than most. He is middle of the pack at best. He averages 578 yards per year, subtracting year one and this year. I gave you a list of 10 players but that was not good enough for you, so whatever.....I cant discuss that with you because you have your own set of rules.

Bottom line, is he is an average weapon at best. He is replaceable and there are probably 16 TE's that are better including the ten I mentioned. If you want to broaden the scope to include the Graham's, Davis' and Gronks we can do that too. To me it was a bad sign. 8M for a 50/578 guy is too much. He has not improved and just because he was the best of the worst last year does not make him great....sorry. It was said he was not used properly in Tennessee......well he is basically doing the same thing here as he did in Tennessee. Maybe its the player.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
As said, you missed my point. I was ranting but since you wont let it go, I disagree he is better than most. He is middle of the pack at best. He averages 578 yards per year, subtracting year one and this year. I gave you a list of 10 players but that was not good enough for you, so whatever.....I cant discuss that with you because you have your own set of rules.

Bottom line, is he is an average weapon at best. He is replaceable and there are probably 16 TE's that are better including the ten I mentioned. If you want to broaden the scope to include the Graham's, Davis' and Gronks we can do that too. To me it was a bad sign. 8M for a 50/578 guy is too much. He has not improved and just because he was the best of the worst last year does not make him great....sorry. It was said he was not used properly in Tennessee......well he is basically doing the same thing here as he did in Tennessee. Maybe its the player.

I guess the difference between you and I is that I couldn't care less what he did on those Titans teams, especially since he was a developmental player himself.

I mean if you want to look at it that way you could take Julius Thomas's career average and say he's a 396 yard receiver.

What I do care is that he's the best TE we've ever had, and should be even better this year.

And don't strawman because I don't think anyone would call him great.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I guess the difference between you and I is that I couldn't care less what he did on those Titans teams, especially since he was a developmental player himself.

I mean if you want to look at it that way you could take Julius Thomas's career average and say he's a 396 yard receiver.

What I do care is that he's the best TE we've ever had, and should be even better this year.

And don't strawman because I don't think anyone would call him great.

Honestly I have no idea what your problem is today. Not even sure what you are talking about now. What exactly is your stance. Is he good, is he great? You call me a strawman? That is comical lol based on your response by the way. What is your stance? I mean seriously, he is the greatest TE we ever had and you don't call him great.....I really am struggling to find out why you coming at this from all angles.

Let me be literal for you. I don't think he is very good...ok? I think he is overpaid. I think you can find similar players for less money than we paid for him. He is getting paid 8M dollars and has had little impact on our offense.

If you want to classify him as the best TE the Rams ever had that is fine. So he is right there in the top 4 with I don't know, Troy Drayton, Pete Holohan and Ernie Conwell? :)

You know I like you Zig, but this is getting silly.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If you want to classify him as the best TE the Rams ever had that is fine. So he is right there in the top 4 with I don't know, Troy Drayton, Pete Holohan and Ernie Conwell?

He's no Pete Holohan, at least not in terms of being clutch. Pete was the most clutch TE we ever had.