Rams notes: After smooth start, Brown ready for next test/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: After smooth start, Brown ready for next test
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_67deb981-370a-5324-af48-d5098043b6b0.html

NASHVILLE • For openers, rookie guard Jamon Brown had smooth sailing against Oakland. He’s hoping for more of the same in the Rams’ second preseason game, a 7 p.m. kickoff Sunday against Tennessee.

“It was great to get out and good to play against a new opponent rather than our group,” Brown said of his pro debut at Oakland. “But as far as from practice and everything, I think our defense got me prepared enough. I’m feeling pretty good about the game.”

Along with the rest of the starting offensive line, Brown played two series against the Raiders. That playing time should increase against the Titans.

The third-round pick out of Louisville is one half of a rookie right side for the Rams’ O-line, with second-rounder Rob Havenstein of Wisconsin at right tackle. For openers, things went smoothly against the Raiders in terms of line calls and assignments.

“We were pretty solid,” Brown said. “Anything that came up out there, it’s not something I hadn’t seen before. We were able to talk out there. Me and Rob and Timmy (Barnes), and all the guys up front, we were on the same page and we were able to get it done.”

Barnes started at center against the Raiders, but Barrett Jones is expected to start against Tennessee in the ongoing center competition.

Rookies or not, Brown said he and Havenstein are getting more in sync every day.

“Each day that goes past that we work together we get more and more on the same page,” Brown said. “I think we’re doing a good job with our communication and with our chemistry.”

Coach Jeff Fisher likes what he has seen so far from the rookies.

“Both Rob and ‘JB’ I thought played well against Oakland and had a good two days of practice against a good Cowboy defense (in Oxnard),” Fisher said. “So they’re continuing to improve and learning every day. You know, they act like they’ve been there before.”

MARCUS MANIA

With all due respect to Fisher’s return to Nashville, Sunday’s game probably is being televised nationally because of the presence of quarterback Marcus Mariota on the Tennessee roster.Even after trading for Nick Foles, the Rams held a private workout for Mariota a couple of weeks before the draft. Mariota went No. 2 overall to Tennessee out of Oregon, with the Rams selecting Oregon State quarterback Sean Mannion in the third round.During training camp, Mariota’s throws were charted by local media, and he went his first 230 throws in practice without tossing an interception. His first preseason game didn’t go as well, with the 2014 Heisman Trophy winner throwing an interception and fumbling. But he recovered to complete seven of eight passes for 94 yards at Atlanta.

TIGER TALK

Former University of Missouri standout Dorial Green-Beckham had a slow start for Tennessee at wide receiver. The Titans’ second-round pick showed up overweight and had problems with drops early in training camp. But his play has improved of late and the talented rookie from Springfield, Mo., has been getting some work with the starting offense even though he’s listed third-team on the official depth chart.The Titans’ roster includes three other former Mizzou players: linebacker Zaviar Gooden, tight end Chase Coffman and long snapper Beau Brinkley. Gooden, a third-round draft pick by the Titans in 2013, won’t play Sunday because of a hamstring injury.

BRUCE GALA

The Isaac Bruce Foundation will host its annual Gridiron Gala on Friday, Sept. 25 at the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch.This year, the focus is on celebrating the foundation’s commitment to the city of St. Louis and will feature area sports legends Ozzie Smith, Jackie Joyner Kersee and Brett Hull. (And, of course, Bruce.) Each attendee will receive a limited edition print autographed by Bruce.Established in 2006, the foundation reaches out to youth, and teaches them the importance of a healthy lifestyle with an emphasis on education.

The event will feature food, drink and music by Nikko Smith, plus live and silent auctions featuring memorabilia, trips and experiences. Tickets are available starting at $80, with all donations tax deductible. For more information visit http://www.isaacbruce.org.

PLAYOFF TICKETS

Yes, playoff tickets. In a new league-wide policy this season, all NFL clubs are required to offer their season-ticket holders the opportunity to reserve tickets for any postseason game that they may host in that season before the start of the regular season. The league passed this resolution at its owners’ meetings in March.The Rams haven’t had a home playoff game since 2003, so reserving playoff tickets in September may be the height of optimism. But it’s now league policy, and Rams season-ticket holders must declare/reserve their playoff tickets by Sept. 4 or opt out.Joe Lyons of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this story. Jim Thomas @jthom1 on Twitter jthomas@post-dispatch.com