Rams Notebook: Undrafted Bonuses, Barksdale --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_39984689-79b3-55e0-b5e0-ab66785e9b10.html

Undrafted bonuses

Among the 16 rookie free agents signed by the Rams after the draft, Iowa defensive tackle Louis Trinca-Pasat received the largest signing bonus — $15,000. A total of $25,000 overall is guaranteed in his deal.

All of these undrafted rookie deals are three-year contracts with minimum base salaries each year. So depending on the size of the signing bonuses, they range in potential value from $1.575 million to $1.590 million. Assuming, of course, the players make the team.

With the exception of former Afghanistan war hero Daniel Rodriguez, the Clemson wide receiver who didn’t sign until after a successful tryout at the Rams’ rookie orientation, every undrafted rookie received a little something extra from the team.

The signing bonuses ranged from $1,000 to Trinca-Pasat’s $15,000. It’s not much money in the grand scheme of things, but signing rookie free agents is very competitive in the initial hours after the draft, and every little bit helps.

Each team is allowed a maximum of $86,000 in signing bonus money for undrafted rookies. There were times in previous regimes when the Rams didn’t spend a penny of bonus money on rookie free agents — and as a result missed out on some of the better ones. But the team spent $64,500 this year — they held out some of the $86,000 at the time in hope of landing a couple of other prospects who ended up going elsewhere.

Besides Trinca-Pasat, the other top signing bonuses for undrafted Rams rookies went to Texas running back Malcolm Brown ($8,500); South Florida offensive tackle Darrell Williams ($7,500); Texas Tech wide receiver Bradley Marquez ($6,500); and Northwestern (La.) State cornerback Imoan Claiborne ($5,000).

Barksdale contract

The now former Rams right tackle, Joe Barksdale, signed a one-year, $1.1 million free-agent contract with the San Diego Chargers last week. It has a $350,000 signing bonus and a $745,000 base salary. Barksdale’s base salary is the minimum for a player with four to six years NFL experience.

Incentives tied to playing time can add $1 million more to Barksdale’s total, putting the overall value at $2.1 million. Even so, that’s less than the Rams were offering at the start of free agency, according to team sources.

It’s clear that Barksdale overestimated his market value.

Still looking

With Barksdale’s departure, only two of the eight Rams unrestricted free agents from early March remain without jobs: offensive guard Davin Joseph and linebacker Will Herring.

The Rams re-signed wide receiver Kenny Britt and tight end Lance Kendricks. Others to sign elsewhere were quarterback Shaun Hill (Minnesota), offensive lineman Mike Person (Atlanta) and defensive tackle Alex Carrington (Buffalo)

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm kinda surprised that they went after Malcolm Brown so hard after drafting Gurley.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm kinda surprised that they went after Malcolm Brown so hard after drafting Gurley.

It could be that they were intrigued by his play and wanted to see what he can do in camp. Brown replaces Zac Stacy. Right now they aren't sure when or if Gurley will play this year. So, if he is on the PUP list they need another back.

They are just hedging their bets.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Also, Brown gives them another legit big back that currently only Gurley gives them. So now two bigs and two smaller backs, with Gurley, Brown, Mason, and Cunningham. I like that backfield depth for a team that looks to be a ground and pound team....and last years tookie FA, whose nane escapes me, could push the a spot as well as a special teams guy.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, Brown gives them another legit big back that currently only Gurley gives them. So now two bigs and two smaller backs, with Gurley, Brown, Mason, and Cunningham. I like that backfield depth for a team that looks to be a ground and pound team....and last years tookie FA, whose nane escapes me, could push the a spot as well as a special teams guy.
Tre watts

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Special Teams guy. Not a waste

Chase Reynolds has been a consistent good special teams guy for years. People gag when he even gets a paycheck and speak of him with disdain. Oh well, not my money.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Again not shocked they went after Brown as others have posted because of his size, but I'm very pleased they added South Florida offensive tackle Darrell Williams.

Williams played LT and gave up one sack in all his starts now he needs to add some weight being 6-5 305lbs, but I foresee him being on the practice squad at first, but could actually develop into a very solid back=up at a crucial position because the back=up LT at this point is Rodger Saffold.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Again not shocked they went after Brown as others have posted because of his size, but I'm very pleased they added South Florida offensive tackle Darrell Williams.

Williams played LT and gave up one sack in all his starts now he needs to add some weight being 6-5 305lbs, but I foresee him being on the practice squad at first, but could actually develop into a very solid back=up at a crucial position because the back=up LT at this point is Rodger Saffold.
Those kinds of signings aren't flashy, but they are pivotal in insuring our future. The team only has so much dough. One years free agent long shot could be the future replacement of a cap hit we just can't take.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Isaiah Pead is still around too right?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
That does seem like a waste of 8,500 dollars.

Unless Pead and Reynolds are expected to not be around.
My thoughts exactly. Other than Bam Bam, Mason and Gurley, I don't think any of the other's jobs are completely "safe". Even the ST hotshot CR. If Brown can come in and play ST's yet also add something to the RB depth ... I love how they are now adding so much competition to just about every position group on the roster. Means were are now building for depth into the future, not just filling immediate needs as perceived by many.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My thoughts exactly. Other than Bam Bam, Mason and Gurley, I don't think any of the other's jobs are completely "safe". Even the ST hotshot CR. If Brown can come in and play ST's yet also add something to the RB depth ... I love how they are now adding so much competition to just about every position group on the roster. Means were are now building for depth into the future, not just filling immediate needs as perceived by many.

Rams could be down three RB's from the current roster whom will enter Free Agency in less than a year.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2016/st.-louis-rams/running-back/

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Actually Brown is much bigger than Watts, Brown is 5-11 225lbs where Watts is listed at 5=9 208lbs...Brown would be the biggest back besides Gurley.
And Benny is listed at 5'10" 217. Not really seeing a huge diff there but I guess we'll see. He may have the frame to bulk up and be more than 8 pounds heavier but Benny's leg strength and heart IIRR is legendary.

TXRams86

The Infamous
being a big Texas Longhorn fan, i was pleasantly surprised to see the rams pick up Malcolm Brown.
he was a pretty decent back but unfortunately had to split carries with Jonathan Gray (who was rated as the #1 running back out of HS the year he committed to Texas btw).
he's a big guy, hard to bring down and hits the hole with authority.
a pretty good guy to have when you need a yard or two.
but of course the big issue is that our RB depth is pretty spectacular.
i have a hard time believing he'll make the team unless he completely lights it up on ST.