Rams notebook: TE Cunningham promoted from the practice squad/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: TE Cunningham promoted from the practice squad
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_342fe222-75c4-551a-b954-638d6706e01b.html

Rams tight end Justice Cunningham arrived at work on Thursday morning and learned that he had been promoted from the practice squad to the 53-man roster.

“Came out of nowhere, but I appreciate coach ‘Fish’ giving me the chance. I really do,” Cunningham said as players prepared to take a few days off to close out the Rams’ bye week.

The players are off until Tuesday, when they begin preparations for the Oct. 25 game against the Cleveland Browns at the Edward Jones Dome.

Cunningham, a 6-foot-3, 258-pounder out of the University of South Carolina, was selected by Indianapolis in the seventh round of the 2013 draft. He played in one game with the Colts before being waived, and he has been with the Rams ever since.

He spent the last four weeks of 2013 and most of 2014 on the practice squad. He was activated late last season but has yet to appear in a game with the Rams.

“I feel a lot more comfortable as far as the playbook, knowing the schedule and the day-to-day here,” the 24-year-old Cunningham said. “My approach doesn’t change. Every day, I work and prepare for that week’s game. I have to put it out there every week, to make the most of every rep, to show the coaches that I can do whatever is asked of me.”

After practice Thursday, Cunningham stuck to his regular post-practice routine with some extra work catching balls from the JUGS gun.

“Hard work pays off,” he said.

Cunningham replaces guard Rodger Saffold on the roster. Saffold hurt his right shoulder last weekend in Green Bay and has been placed on injured reserve. He will have surgery in the next few days and is done for the season.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Cunningham’s promotion also is tied to the fact that tight end Lance Kendricks underwent surgery on Monday to repair a torn ligament in his finger. The injury came in the team’s season-opening overtime win over Seattle.

“Courageous effort since the Seattle game with the injury,” the coach said. Kendricks “will be questionable for Cleveland, so we needed to get Justice up on the roster. Justice has earned the right, and so we’ll be fine until Lance is ready to come back. And he may be back for Cleveland, we just don’t know.”

Fisher said that Cunningham can fill a number of roles.

“Special teams ... He knows the offense and he can play on the line,” the coach said. “He can play the fullback position, do all the same things that Lance has done — good blocker, strong, physical. Good hands, can get open.”

As expected, the Rams re-signed versatile running back Trey Watts to fill out the practice squad. Watts, who was released Monday, was back at practice Thursday.

HANGING WITH HAYES

Defensive end William Hayes launched his “Hanging with Hayes” program earlier this week. Each month, he will treat a group of youngsters from Covenant House Missouri to a movie and concessions as a reward for their involvement with Covenant House programs designed to empower youth to create their own path from homelessness to independence.

Before each movie, Hayes and the youngsters will meet to discuss the challenges and successes they are facing.

The program is operated through the Big Play Hayes Foundation and designed to assist and uplift youth experiencing homelessness and other significant life challenges.

“Our philosophy is to change the world by changing one life at a time, and I’m confident that we can do that through this program,” Hayes said.

Hayes informally started the program after first meeting youth from Covenant House last October at a team-building event he hosted during his year of service to the homeless community. Struck by the teens’ resiliency, strength and vulnerability, he decided to continue the relationship and invited them to a movie two weeks later. He went on to host two additional movie nights during the 2014 season.

“The challenges these kids have to deal with at their age is unbelievable, but how they’ve handled their situation is what inspires me the most,” Hayes said. “After I first met them, I wanted to build upon our relationship and help them grow in any way I could. Just hanging out and getting to know one another made the world of a difference. Through this program, my goal is to ultimately help them gain access to a permanent, stable and safe living environment.”

RAM-BLINGS

Players not practicing on Thursday were cornerback Janoris Jenkins, defensive end Robert Quinn, wide receiver Kenny Britt, linebacker Darren Bates and safety Christian Bryant. Also sitting out were the team’s injured players: tight end Kendricks (finger), defensive end Chris Long (knee) and linebacker Alec Ogletree (broken leg). Long and Ogletree, did, however, watch the workout.

• Cornerback Brandon McGee, a Rams draft pick in 2013, has been signed to the New York Giants practice squad. The Giants worked out ex-Illini wide receiver A.J. Jenkins and defensive back Greg Reid, who was in camp with the Rams in 2014, on Tuesday.

• Also Tuesday, the Dallas Cowboys worked out former Rams running back Isaiah Pead and ex-Mizzou linebacker Zaviar Gooden.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Cunningham great blocker who struggled last year in preseason catching the football, however, seem to improve this year. The coaching staff has liked this guy for quite sometime so maybe we'll get to see the results.

Psycho_X

Legend
I liked what he did in this years pre-season. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with a chance.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Safety Cody Davis talks to Dani Klupenger about the wrestling championship belt and catching a pass on a fake punt at Green Bay.

Watch Davis Interview

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Excellent move IMO! Our OC will need this extra blocking power now that Lance Kendricks is out. Sure will get little effort coming from our starting TE. Harkey can work in the LK position and Justice can man the Lead Blocking role of CH.

I bet that the RAMS NCAA scouts are spending a lot of their time looking at the better complete packaged TE s in the upcoming draft. Justice s best chance to prove he can play in the NFL is here blocking for Gurley. Cory has a big opportunity to seal the deal on a future 2016 contract. I know CH is up to this challenge. JC is in the perfect spot at the right time too. Now all they need to do is do the job well!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Justice Cunningham...I have seen the good and the bad from him...But since Todd Gurley is the focus of our offense, if he is an excellent blocker then thats what we need. If he does his job well vs Cleveland and Kendricks comes back or they need a permanent spot for a performing Cunningham, cut that POS Cook..I am so over Cook, it's not funny.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Excellent move IMO! Our OC will need this extra blocking power now that Lance Kendricks is out. Sure will get little effort coming from our starting TE. Harkey can work in the LK position and Justice can man the Lead Blocking role of CH.

I bet that the RAMS NCAA scouts are spending a lot of their time looking at the better complete packaged TE s in the upcoming draft. Justice s best chance to prove he can play in the NFL is here blocking for Gurley. Cory has a big opportunity to seal the deal on a future 2016 contract. I know CH is up to this challenge. JC is in the perfect spot at the right time too. Now all they need to do is do the job well!
I love Corey Harkey..dude plays hard, blocks well and normally catches the few balls thrown his way...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
the Rams re-signed versatile running back Trey Watts to fill out the practice squad. Watts, who was released Monday, was back at practice Thursday.
This^ is the best News in the article, and it was Buried in the piece!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Cornerback Brandon McGee, a Rams draft pick in 2013, has been signed to the New York Giants practice squad.
damnit!!!!

I bet that the RAMS NCAA scouts are spending a lot of their time looking at the better complete packaged TE s in the upcoming draft.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectsearch?multisearch=1&year=2016&position=TE&school=All

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/10/why_oj_howard_is_playing_bette.html

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/09/why_alabamas_oj_howard_is_extr.html

Alabama+v+Kentucky+fN_c4sl7u8wl.jpg

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...ould-see-increased-role-against-virginia-tech
SPT-osumich30p-40.jpg

Hunter Henry & Bryce Williams should be considered future studs as well.....OJ is my fav because of the name..also the most "raw"....I know, I know...Snisher likes em like that...measureables.....