Rams Notebook: Stacy looks ready to go

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-notebook-stacy-looks-ready-to-go/article_bc29bf4d-3bfc-5220-a676-52716d200ede.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 00ede.html</a>

On the Rams’ final injury report of the week, running back Zac Stacy is listed as questionable for the team’s Sunday game in Houston against the Texans.

But the rookie from Vanderbilt looked strong in practice Friday at Rams Park and seems to be looking forward to another start.

“I was a little sore, needed a little recovery time, that’s all,’’ said Stacy, who sat out practice Wednesday and was limited Thursday. “I hated not practicing, trust me, but you’ve gotta be smart. I feel great, ready to go out and try to be productive and consistent.’’

Entering last week’s 34-20 win over Jacksonville, Stacy had just one carry as a professional — a 4-yard gain against Arizona in the Rams’ season-opening win. Against the Jaguars, he ran for 78 yards on 14 carries.

“We’re comfortable and we’re confident because we’ve worked hard and had a good week of practice,’’ Stacy said. Houston “has a great defense, we know that, so in the end, it’s going to come down to executing the game plan and focusing on the details to make each play work.’’

Cornerback Cortland Finnegan (hamstring) and defensive end William Hayes (knee) did not practice Friday. Finnegan is doubtful while Hayes was listed as questionable for Sunday. Limited in practice again Friday, right tackle Rodger Saffold (knee) is questionable for Sunday. Defensive tackle Matt Conrath (concussion) practiced Friday and is probable.

The Texans’ injury list, which includes 20 players, features just one who did not practice Friday — reserve linebacker Tim Dobbins (hamstring) will not play Sunday against the Rams. All-Pro receiver Andre Johnson, who has been battling a shin injury, was limited in Friday’s practice and is questionable for Sunday. Also questionable is kick returner and receiver Keshawn Martin (shoulder).

Both Johnson and Martin told Houston reporters Friday that they expected to play against the Rams.

Houston starters listed as probable are running back Arian Foster (thumb, chest), guards Wade Smith (knee) and Brandon Brooks (toe), tackles Duane Brown (toe) and Derek Newton (knee), center Chris Myers (biceps), defensive ends J.J. Watt (nose) and Antonio Smith (quadriceps), linebacker Brian Cushing (knee) and safety Ed Reed (knee).

SMITH GETS GUARD REPS

Both starter Chris Williams and reserve Shelley Smith saw action at right guard last weekend against Jacksonville. Williams was in for 47 offensive snaps (64 percent), while Smith took part in 26 (36 percent).

“Yeah, it’s always good to get out there and contribute,’’ said Smith, who battled Williams for the starting spot in training camp. “I feel like I did OK, but there’s always room for improvement. I’m not really sure what’s going to happen this week; I’m just working hard and trying to stay ready.’’

Smith was strong at the point of attack, which was particularly evident on running plays.

“I try to make it a point to really sell out — I want to sell out on every play — but even more so in the run game to try and help get the ball moving. And that was something we really tried to emphasize last week.’’

Smith, who joined the Rams early last season after being released by the Texans, was drafted by Houston in the sixth round of the 2010 draft and spent the next two seasons there on the practice squad and injured reserve list.

“I have some friends there, but honestly, it’s not that big a deal,’’ he said. “You approach it like you would any other game.’’

RAM-BLINGS

Linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar, in his first game of the season after serving a four-game suspension for violating the league’s performance-enhancing drug policy, participated in 19 defensive plays and one on special teams against Jacksonville, a team that used a lot of three- and four-receiver sets. The sixth-year pro finished with one tackle.

“He was good, had a really good week,’’ Rams head coach Jeff Fisher said. “Didn’t get a lot of shots because of their choice of personnel group, so we were in a lot of nickel. (But) when he was on the field, he was active.’’

Defensive coordinator Tim Walton agreed: “For his first game back, he jumped back in relatively smoothly. We’re looking for him to keep adding to it this week.’’

Dunbar would figure to see more action against the Texans, who feature one of the league’s better 1-2 backfield combinations with Arian Foster (97 carries, 390 yards, one touchdown) and Ben Taint (41 carries, 256 yards).

According to Pro Football Focus, the Rams lead NFL receivers (wideouts, tight ends and running backs) with 18 dropped passes this season.

jap

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
Cornerback Cortland Finnegan (hamstring) and defensive end William Hayes (knee) did not practice Friday. Finnegan is doubtful while Hayes was listed as questionable for Sunday. Limited in practice again Friday, right tackle Rodger Saffold (knee) is questionable for Sunday. Defensive tackle Matt Conrath (concussion) practiced Friday and is probable.

CGI_Ram said:
Linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar, in his first game of the season after serving a four-game suspension for violating the league’s performance-enhancing drug policy, participated in 19 defensive plays and one on special teams against Jacksonville, a team that used a lot of three- and four-receiver sets. The sixth-year pro finished with one tackle.

“He was good, had a really good week,’’ Rams head coach Jeff Fisher said. “Didn’t get a lot of shots because of their choice of personnel group, so we were in a lot of nickel. (But) when he was on the field, he was active.’’

Defensive coordinator Tim Walton agreed: “For his first game back, he jumped back in relatively smoothly. We’re looking for him to keep adding to it this week.’’

Dunbar would figure to see more action against the Texans, who feature one of the league’s better 1-2 backfield combinations with Arian Foster (97 carries, 390 yards, one touchdown) and Ben Taint (41 carries, 256 yards).

It would be huge to have Jo-Lonn and William Hayes playing together again. These guys bring FIRE on the field and emotionally ratchets up the games of their teammates.

CGI_Ram said:
According to Pro Football Focus, the Rams lead NFL receivers (wideouts, tight ends and running backs) with 18 dropped passes this season.

I am really hoping Sam has to deal with this less and less as the youngsters mature and hold up better against NFL caliber hits - both real and anticipated. Handling pro level hitting is a growth point for every rookie player so that is no automatic gimme.

It would be nice to see Rodger Saffold work his way back into the starting fold somewhere. It's bad enough that Scott Wells and Harvey Dahl are beginning to show their age, although I believe Harvey has been slowed by nagging injuries too. However, like Bonifay indicated earlier, lining up the top five OL men for war should really help to galvanize both the rushing & passing games.