Rams Notebook: Special-teams standout Reynolds hopes to inspire others/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: Special-teams standout Reynolds hopes to inspire others
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_72f1e0c9-63f7-5c4f-a750-5b299cd6e2da.html

Rams running back and special teams standout Chase Reynolds has a story to tell and recently launched a motivational brand — The Promise Line — to help deliver the message.

“In a sense, it would be great if it turned into a post-career type of thing. But for now, it’s something I’m using to motivate myself and maybe others,’’ he said. “I’m just trying to reach out to people and let them know your dreams, they’re not optional. If you work for them and you want something bad enough, you’re the only one who stands in your way.’’

The Promise Line website notes that a promise is a goal, and features a number of inspirational T-shirts and wristbands featuring the following slogans: Promise to Never Give Up; Promise to Challenge Yourself; Promise to Seize the Moment; and Promise to Train Hard.

“It’s for people who have goals in their lives but don’t necessarily know how to achieve them,’’ the 26-year-old Reynolds said. “Growing up, I can remember people telling me that I wasn’t good enough or fast enough or strong enough. And coming from a town of 300, playing eight-man football and being part of a graduating class of 24, it would’ve been real easy for me to listen to them.’’

But all that changed after his father asked: “How are you going to know that you weren’t good enough if you don’t try?’’

Reynolds, who led Drummond High to three straight state titles and set a Montana prep rushing record, turned down full offers from smaller schools to accept a half-scholarship to the University of Montana.

“To be honest, I wasn’t sure if I could play at the BCS level, but I stuck with it and just kept battling,’’ he said. “After a couple of position changes, I ended up starting at running back for 2½ years.’’

Reynolds, who finished just 3 yards short of becoming the Grizzlies’ career rushing leader, signed as an undrafted free agent with the Seattle Seahawks shortly after the 2011 NFL draft. After getting cut, he signed with the Rams.

After two seasons on the practice squad, the 6-foot, 205-pound Reynolds became a core special teams contributor in 2013, playing in all 16 games and tied for third on the team with six special-teams tackles.

Reynolds is sporting a Mohawk these days — “Just decided to change it up a little bit.’’ — and is back on the practice field after sitting out OTAs following surgery for a sports hernia.

“It killed me to miss the OTAs,’’ he recalled. “But I talked it over with Coach and this was the best way to go. What I bring to special teams is that full-speed mentality and I’m feeling great now.’’

Reynolds is looking forward to the team’s second full special teams workout today.

“Those practices are like game day for me because guys like me really don’t get a ton of reps,’’ Reynolds said. “You look at all the guys here, 70 or so of them, and they’re all athletes and they’re all fighting for a job.

“All I can do is just focus on giving my best at all times.’’

RAM-BLINGS

• Not surprising, but Rams coach Jeff Fisher said that quarterback Sam Bradford, tackle Jake Long and center Scott Wells are unlikely to play Friday when the Rams host the Saints in a 7 p.m. preseason game at the Edward Jones Dome.

• The pass rush continues to apply lots of pressure. Brian Quick, back after sitting out a couple of practices with an abdominal strain, made a nice sliding catch on a pass from Bradford, who also connected on quality deep balls to Kenny Britt and Tavon Austin.

• Running back Zac Stacy left practice early with an undisclosed injury.

• Tuesday’s practice, the last open-to-the-public workout of the week, drew a crowd of 789, the first sub-1,000 crowd of camp. Tuesday’s not-practicing list included linebacker James Laurinaitis, guard Rodger Saffold, cornerback Janoris Jenkins, defensive tackle Michael Brockers, defensive tackle Kendall Langford, running back Isaiah Pead, running back Trey Watts, fullback Kadeem Jones, receiver Justin Veltung, guard Brandon Washington, guard-center Barrett Jones and safety Avery Cunningham.

• Longtime Rams security chief Dan Linza, now retired, attended Tuesday evening’s workout.

Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.

Alan

Legend
"Running back Zac Stacy left practice early with an undisclosed injury."
When we drafted him I was unhappy with the pick because my research on him showed that he was always getting nicked up in college and I worried that would continue or get worse when he got to the NFL. So far my fears have proven to be well grounded. This is why I wasn't that unhappy with drafting Tre Mason this year.