Rams notebook: Smelley returns to fill roster void at TE/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: Smelley returns to fill roster void at tight end
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_449713c9-5715-5a00-81b2-7ecafef44a88.html

The newest Ram, tight end Brad Smelley, can only hope this season’s stay with the club will last a bit longer than last year’s.

In November, Smelley was signed to the practice squad and was with the team three days before being replaced by Justice Cunningham.

Now, with defensive end-turned-tight-end Mason Brodine out after suffering a season-ending ankle injury Friday night, Smelley is back with the Rams.

“I was here for Thanksgiving week. Took me away from my family, then sent me back,’’ the 25-year-old from the University of Alabama said. “I think those three days in practice, getting to at least see the offense, helps. Plus, I’ve been in other offenses that are similar.’’

Smelley, a 6-foot-2, 235-pounder, was drafted in the seventh round by the Cleveland Browns in 2012 and spent most of that season on their practice squad.

He did play in two games that fall, catching one pass for 3 yards.

Last year, after the brief stay with the Rams, Smelley was signed to the Houston practice squad and ended up playing in two late-season games.

Houston released him two days before the start of training camp this year.

“It’s been three weeks or so, so it felt good to get out there again, to run some routes and play some football,’’ he said. “When I was released, I went back to Tuscaloosa, that’s where I’m from, and I was coaching high school football. My brother (Chris, who played football at South Carolina and baseball at Alabama) is the head coach at our high school, American Christian Academy, so we were coaching together and having a lot of fun with it. ... And, at the same time, I was working out at Alabama and waiting for a call.’’

He received that call Saturday night and flew to St. Louis the following morning.

“He came in (Sunday) and ... did a nice job,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “So he’ll fill in. He’s a smart young man, talented, can play a couple different positions. He’ll be given an opportunity to help us at the position.’’

At tight end, Smelley joins veterans Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks and Cory Harkey as well as youngsters Cunningham and Alex Bayer on the roster. Now, he has some catching up to do.

“I’m going to work on it every day, stay in the playbook morning and night,’’ he said. “Hopefully, I can get the playbook down soon.

“I’m a quick learner. I’ll get the offense down quick and I’ll show what I can do with the time that I have.... Get in here and work hard, learn the plays execute and show them what I’ve got.’’

On Monday, Smelley spent some time early in practice with tight ends coach Rob Boras.

At the end of practice, he came up with several catches in a red-zone drill featuring most of the club’s younger players.

Ram-blings

The team began its on-field work for exhibition game No. 2 on Monday, practicing before a crowd of 401 at Rams Park.

The Rams host the Green Bay Packers in a 3 p.m. Saturday game at the Edward Jones Dome.

Not happy with his team’s 14 penalties in Friday’s 26-24 loss to the visiting New Orleans Saints, coach Jeff Fisher closed Monday’s lackluster workout with old-fashioned wind sprints.

Each unit ran a sprint for every penalty committed by a member of that group, so everybody on the field got in some extra running.

• Following practice, Fisher was asked about the unsettling situation in Ferguson, where looting and protesting followed the fatal shooting of a teenager by police.

“It’s very, very tragic because of the loss of life,’’ he said. “We don’t have any details, but I just feel very, very bad for the family and their loss. We hope they can get things sorted out and get things settled down there.’’

• Injured players sitting out Monday’s practice were cornerback Janoris Jenkins (hamstring), fullback Kadeem Jones (hamstring), linebacker James Laurinaitis (ankle), defensive tackle Michael Brockers (ankle), guard-tackle Rodger Saffold, guard Brandon Washington and center-guard Barrett Jones.

Newcomers to the list after Friday’s game are safety Matt Daniels and cornerback Darren Woodard, who started against the Saints.

Saffold and Jenkins worked with trainers on the side, an indication they aren’t far from returning to action.

Back on the practice field after sitting out Friday’s contest were left tackle Jake Long, center Scott Wells and running backs Isaiah Pead and Trey Watts.

• The Rams’ other open-to-the-public practices this week will be today (5:30 p.m.) and Thursday (3:30 p.m.)

• Quarterback Brady Quinn, who was with the Rams late last season, has signed by the Miami Dolphins.

In addition, tackle Graham Pocic, a University of Illinois product who was in camp with the Rams last year, has been waived by the Chicago Bears.

• Highly respected NFL writer Dan Pompei was on hand Monday. He’s finishing up some projects for Sports on Earth. The Wall Street Journal also had a reporter at Monday’s workout.

Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch staff contributed to this report.