Rams notebook: Saffold expects to be ready to go Sunday/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: Saffold expects to be ready to go Sunday
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_806b7acf-6b20-5e4e-8fb5-f5472e105615.html

Rams left guard Rodger Saffold returned to practice Friday and expects to make the start Sunday when the team takes on the Redskins in Washington.

Saffold, who aggravated a chronic shoulder injury in the third quarter of last week’s blowout win over Oakland, is probable.

“The thing people need to understand is that it’s an injury structurally, that it all comes down to making sure that I’m taped up and strapped up, so it doesn’t happen again,’’ he said after Friday’s workout. “But at the end of the year, I’m definitely going to get it taken care of.’’

Saffold, a fourth-year pro, showed off a heavily taped shoulder and explained the process of getting to the field each day.

“First, you have to put the wrap underneath, with all that tape, then you put on the shoulder pads and all the straps that secure the shoulder pads,’’ the 26-year-old said. “Then you pull the jersey over all of it. Plus, I’m doing exercises all through the process.’’

The 6-foot-5, 332-pound Saffold lifted weights after practice Friday.

“I did a close-grip bench — it’s a little harder, but it’s better on your shoulder — and I did 300 pounds,’’ he said. “I’m a strong guy and luckily that’s what helps. I definitely think my strength has helped me a lot. Ordinarily, if this was a continuing issue, I feel like I would’ve already have had to do the surgery. But because of the strength surrounding the shoulder, I’m able to bounce back and play through it.’’

EVERYBODY’S PROBABLE

The Rams began Friday’s workout indoors and finished up with about 30 minutes in the rain. All part of the plan to prepare for Sunday.

“The forecast earlier in the week was that there was a very good chance for showers throughout the day (Sunday), but as the week went on, it looks like there’s a pretty good chance it will have pushed through,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “Nonetheless, it’s still a good experience to go out there and get the point across because there’s really no telling what the conditions of the surface will be. I’m sure it will be covered and all that, but the guys need to know they can’t slip.’’

The Rams are about as healthy as they’ve been all season. Of the nine players on Friday’s injury report, seven went through full practices. The exceptions: wide receiver Tavon Austin, who was limited by a back issue, and defensive end William Hayes, who has been away dealing with a death in the family and is expected to rejoin the team in time for Sunday’s game.

Others on the injury report are Saffold (shoulder), linebacker James Laurinaitis (ankle), defensive end Chris Long (ankle), linebacker Will Herring (foot) and cornerback Marcus Roberson (ankle).

Center Scott Wells and guard Davin Joseph sat out practices for not-injury-related reasons earlier in the week.

“Everybody on the list is probable for Sunday, which is good,’’ Fisher said.

It’s a little different story for the Redskins, who are looking to snap their second four-game losing streak of the season. Their 13-player injury report features five players who did not practice Friday. Among them are three starters — safety Brandon Meriweather (toe), wide receiver DeSean Jackson (shin) and middle linebacker Keenan Robinson (knee). Meriweather is doubtful; Jackson and Robinson are questionable.

Another player of note on the Washington injury report is linebacker Will Compton, who’s probable with a stinger. Compton starred at North County High in Bonne Terre and at the University of Nebraska before signing with the Redskins as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2013. He spent most of last season on the practice squad but made his pro debut in a Dec. 29 loss to the New York Giants.

This season, he’s played in 12 games, making a pair of starts, and has 20 tackles.

SEC CHAMPIONSHIP

Barrett Jones said he approached fellow offensive lineman Tim Barnes a couple of times during the week to talk about the upcoming SEC Championship Game featuring No. 1-ranked Alabama and No. 14 Missouri.

“He’s been a little quiet. I just think that nervousness,’’ kidded Jones, an Alabama alum. “I think he’s a little afraid. I’m trying to be humble — I don’t want to be THAT guy — but I’m expecting an Alabama win. I think (Missouri’s) a good team, but I think we’ll be focused and win by more than two touchdowns.’’

Barnes, a Mizzou product, responded: “I think it’ll be a good game. I don’t make predictions, never have, but hopefully we can find a way to come out on top.

“I just think it says a lot about (Missouri’s program), being able to get to back (to the SEC title game) again. Everybody says Mizzou doesn’t have the star players, so I think it says a lot about the quality coaches and the level of commitment they get from the players.’’

Rookie cornerback E.J. Gaines, the team’s other Mizzou player, was not available for comment Friday, but former Alabama tight end Brad Smelley was.

“To be honest, I haven’t watched Mizzou too much, but I think I’m going to roll with the Tide,’’ Smelley said. “I think it’ll be a good game, but I’m going to say (wide receiver) Amari Cooper goes for 220 with three touchdowns and we win by 17.’’

Barnes wasn’t surprised, “What would you expect from somebody who played at Alabama?’’

RAM-BLING

The St. Louis chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America will rename its “Good Guy” Award as the Bryan Burwell “Good Guy’’ Award. The award is given to a Rams player or players for their cooperation with the media.

Last year, Laurinaitis and Long shared the honor.