Rams notebook: Robinson experiences ups and downs of the NFL /PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: Robinson experiences ups and downs of the NFL

• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_5041e631-da05-59cb-b3c1-48ab220e6a90.html

As Greg Robinson readily admits, his first training camp and preseason with the Rams has had “its ups and downs.’’

But ...

“Every day, I just try to come out and get better. I’m working hard and doing what the coaches ask of me,’’ said Robinson, the No. 2 overall selection in May’s draft.

A 6-foot-5, 332-pound left tackle who dominated in the run-heavy attack of the Auburn Tigers, Robinson has worked at both left tackle and left guard during camp.

He started the Rams’ first two preseason games and had communication and pass-blocking issues. In last weekend’s victory in Cleveland, he was replaced in the starting lineup by veteran Rodger Saffold but still ended up leading the team with 58 offensive snaps.

“I wanted to get Rodger some time early,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. “We knew that Greg was going to play both positions. ... Greg played pretty well. Again, he got plenty of snaps. He’s improving. He’s going to be a really good player for us.’’

Robinson, 21, said that he is not frustrated and that this is just part of the learning process.

“Once I get both positions down pat, I’ll be good,’’ he said. “I’m not going to get down about anything. My main focus is just keep learning the offense and trying my best to do better.’”

Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau knows there’s work to do. But he sees loads of potential in Robinson.

“We’ve asked a lot of him,’’ the coach said. “We’re making him play two different positions and he’s just learning about the NFL, about defenses, the terminology and the verbiage. The first couple of weeks, he was thinking too much, but last week, we had him in one position, where he was able to settle down a little and he ended up playing pretty well.

“He just needs some time and experience because when he knows what to do and he’s doing it fast, he’s making some freakish plays.’’

CUTDOWN TO 75

The Rams reached the NFL limit Tuesday by placing quarterback Sam Bradford and center Demetrius Rhaney on injured reserve and waiving safety Matt Daniels and defensive end Sammy Brown.

NFL teams have until Saturday at 3 p.m. to finalize their 53-man rosters.

Rhaney, a 6-foot-2, 301-pounder from Tennessee State, was selected in the seventh round of May’s draft, one pick after the Rams chose Mizzou defensive end Michael Sam.

Daniels, a third-year pro from Duke, joined the Rams as an undrafted free agent in 2012. That season, he suffered a season-ending knee injury when a teammate rolled up on him while he was blocking on a punt return in the Rams’ loss to the New England Patriots in London. Last year, in a very similar play, Daniels went down with a fractured ankle when a teammate rolled up on him on a kickoff return in the team’s Week 2 loss in Atlanta.

During the preseason, Daniels was in on three special teams snaps before going out with a concussion in the opening-week loss to New Orleans. After sitting out the loss to Green Bay, he recorded a tackle and an assist in last weekend’s win at Cleveland, taking part in 17 defensive snaps and another on special teams.

Like Daniels, Brown was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2012 following a standout career at the University of Houston. The 6-foot-2, 254-pound Brown spent much of the past two seasons on the Rams’ practice squad, taking part in one regular-season game, against San Francisco on Dec. 12, 2012.

He saw his only preseason action in the opener against New Orleans, finishing with four tackles, two quarterback pressures and one quarterback hit.

RAM-BLING

The Rams worked outside in the blistering heat Tuesday afternoon but only practiced for about 90 minutes. They close out their preseason schedule at 6 p.m. Thursday against the Dolphins in Miami.

Not practicing on Tuesday were wide receiver Justin Veltung (looks like a hamstring), cornerback Brandon McGee (ankle), defensive lineman Matt Conrath (undisclosed), defensive end Eugene Sims (knee), cornerback Trumaine Johnson (knee) and center-guard Barrett Jones (back).

Linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar did some running on the side, while Rodger Saffold (ankle) was a full go at left tackle and defensive tackles Michael Brockers (ankle) and Kendall Langford (ankle) participated in 11-on-11 drills.

Punter Johnny Hekker also missed practice.

• After practice Fisher did not disclose how much, if any, action his starters would see against the Dolphins.

“We’re working through it; we feel like we just finished up the Cleveland game,’’ the coach said. “We’re going to be selective and some may play more than others. Really, that’s all I can say now.’’

• Some other notable NFL cuts Tuesday: Former Mizzou defensive back Kevin Rutland was waived by Kansas City, while ex-Tigers teammate Eric Waters, a tight end, suffered the same fate in Pittsburgh. Dallas released former Illini defensive back Justin Green.

Miami terminated the contract of quarterback Brady Quinn, who signed with the Rams last year after Sam Bradford was injured. Another former Rams quarterback, Thad Lewis, was waived by Buffalo on Tuesday.

Former Mizzou quarterback James Franklin cleared waivers after being cut by Detroit on Monday.