Rams notebook: Mizzou standout Moe among 10 players cut

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: Mizzou standout Moe among 10 players cut
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_3b51eb18-48f1-524d-82b9-bada9e7ae3ee.html

T.J. Moe gave it his best shot, but the Rams decided to go in another direction.

Moe, who starred at Fort Zumwalt West High and the University of Missouri, was among the first cuts Monday as the Rams waived 10 players.

With the roster at 79, the Rams must release four more by 3 p.m. today to get to the NFL limit of 75. All teams must finalize their 53-man rosters by Saturday.

Moe, who signed a free agent deal with the Rams in May, said he was thankful for the opportunity with his hometown team.

“The Rams signed me when I was unemployed and gave me a chance to go through my first training camp,’’ said Moe, who signed as an undrafted free agent with the New England Patriots in May 2013 before suffering a torn Achilles tendon before training camp and getting cut by the Patriots in March. “They have some great receivers in camp and obviously they liked some of the other guys better than they liked me.

“I’m just thankful for the opportunity the Rams gave me.’’

In three preseason games, Moe took 28 offensive snaps and 17 more on special teams. He was targeted just once, in the preseason opener against New Orleans, and made a 4-yard catch.

“I tried to do the best I could whenever I was given a chance,’’ said Moe, a three-year starter who finished fifth on the career list at Mizzou with 188 catches to go along with 2,101 receiving yards and 11 touchdowns. “The Rams have receivers who fit the style of football they like to play, guys with a lot of size and a lot of speed.

“All I can do is take it day by day and hope that I can catch on somewhere else.’’

Moe, 23, said he talked to coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead after being cut and has nothing but good things to say about the organization.

“I was an undrafted free agent, a guy near the bottom of the totem pole, but from the first day I got to Rams Park until today, I can’t say enough about the way I was treated,’’ he said. “And that goes beyond the football side of it. Everyone I dealt with in the building, the coaches, the trainers, the medical staff and the PR people, everybody treated me the same way they did the guys who were high draft picks.

“From the top down, the Rams really know how to treat people and make them feel welcome.”

Other teams in the NFL have a chance to claim Moe within 24 hours before he becomes a free agent. But he will not be waiting by the phone.

“At this point, it really wouldn’t make much sense to claim somebody with just three days before the next cut,’’ the 5-foot-11, 204-pounder explained.

But after final cuts Saturday, Moe may be a candidate for some team’s 10-man practice squad.

“Just have to play it by ear. I still feel like I can play at this level,’’ he said. “I guess we’ll find out pretty soon if anybody else feels that way.’’

Other players waived by the Rams on Monday were punter Bobby Cowan, long snapper Jorgen Hus, cornerback Jarrid Bryant, fullback Kadeem Jones, wide receiver Jordan Harris, tackles R.J. Dill and D.J. Morrell and linebackers Johnny Millard and Pat Schiller. Schiller was listed as waived/injured.

RAM-BLINGS

Missing Monday’s workout were defensive tackle Kendall Langford, cornerback Brandon McGee, linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar, receiver Justin Veltung, defensive end Sammy Brown and defensive tackle Matt Conrath. Dunbar did some running on the side.

Defensive tackle Michael Brockers, who hurt his ankle Saturday, did some individual drills.

Also missing with longer term injuries were offensive linemen Barrett Jones and Demetrius Rhaney.

• The Minnesota Vikings have named Matt Cassel as their starting quarterback. The Vikings open the regular season in St. Louis against the Rams.

• Some other notable players waived recently included De Smet and Mizzou DB Robert Steeples by Minnesota; he was in camp with the Rams last year; ex-Rams LB Josh Hull (Jacksonville) and DT Jermelle Cudjo (Kansas City); Francis Howell North’s Nick Dimarco, a linebacker from Penn, by Baltimore; WR Marvin McNutt, (Hazelwood Central, Iowa) by Carolina; RB Ronnie Wingo (SLUH, Arkansas) by Buffalo; ex-Mizzou WR Jerrell Jackson by Kansas City; DE Martez Wilson (Illinois) by Dallas; and DE Anthony Grady (Missouri State) by the Jets.

Detroit claimed former Mizzou TE Michael Egnew off waivers from Miami.