Rams notebook: Laurinaitis finally makes his way home/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: Laurinaitis finally makes his way home
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_b0670a5a-3400-52d1-948b-f188e556bc1e.html

Since entering the NFL in 2009, Rams middle linebacker James Laurinaitis has played in 29 of the NFL’s 31 venues either in the preseason or the regular season. And he has faced 30 of the league’s 32 squads as a visitor.

The New York Giants and New York Jets share MetLife Stadium. Laurinaitis has played there both against the Giants (regular season) and Jets (preseason).

But he has never played in his hometown of Minneapolis. That changes Sunday when the Rams take on the Minnesota Vikings in a noon kickoff at TCF Bank Stadium.

“It’s gonna be one of those cool surreal moments,” Laurinaitis said. “But I’ll walk in, take a look around, and be ready to roll just like any other Sunday.”

When asked if he’ll have any family or friends in the stands, Laurinaitis said: “No. I don’t have any friends.”

Just kidding.

He was a diehard fan of the Minnesota Vikings growing up, loving the sound of the Vikings horn that’s blown after every Minnesota first down. He says he still has the “Skol Vikings” song memorized, which is played after every Minnesota touchdown.

“Hopefully, we can limit those,” Laurinaitis said.

Laurinaitis, 28, will make his 104th consecutive start Sunday, second among active NFL linebackers to David Harris of the New York Jets, who’s at 107.

He will complete the NFL stadium cycle later this month, with the Rams playing at Baltimore (Nov. 22) for the first time in his career.

INJURY UPDATE

The Rams gave defensive ends Chris Long (knee), Robert Quinn (knee), and William Hayes (thigh), running back/special teamer Chase Reynolds (thigh), right tackle Rob Havenstein (ankle), and safety T.J. McDonald (foot) the “did not practice” designation on the Thursday injury report they filed to the league.

Thursday has become the players’ day off for the Rams this season, so their report was an estimation of player status had they practiced.

Interestingly, McDonald was downgraded to “did not practice” after being listed as limited Wednesday. The only other player on their injury report, running back Tre Mason (ankle), was listed as limited.

Three starters for Minnesota’s seventh-ranked defense did not practice Thursday: linebackers Anthony Barr (back) and Eric Kendricks (ribs), and defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd (knee/ankle). Listed as limited, starting free safety Harrison Smith (neck) was a new addition to the Vikings’ injury report.

ANOTHER GURLEY HONOR

Running back Todd Gurley was named the NFL’s FedEx Ground player of the week Thursday for his 133-yard rushing performance against San Francisco, which included a 71-yard touchdown run.

As a result of the honor, FedEx will make a $2,000 donation to the St. Louis chapter of the American Red Cross in Gurley’s name.

STADIUM TIPS

While their new stadium is being built, the Vikings are using TCF Bank Stadium, the home of the University of Minnesota’s Golden Gophers.

“This is the only stadium I’ve been in since I’ve been here,” Mike Zimmer, the Vikings’ second-year coach, said on a conference call Wednesday. “I think we’re 8-3 there. ... Our guys seem to like it. I know it’s kind of unusual.

“As a matter of fact, I called Jeff Fisher about going to a new stadium when I found out we were going over there.”

Fisher went from playing in Houston with the Oilers in 1996; to playing in Memphis in 1997; to playing at Vanderbilt University in Nashville in ‘98; and finally to what’s now known as Nissan Stadium in Nashville in ‘99 as the Tennessee Titans.

“He gave me some good ideas and good tips,” Zimmer said.

The Vikings will move into their new $1.1 billion fixed-roof home, U.S. Bank Stadium, next season.

RAM-BLINGS

Even though he has played in only five games this season, Gurley leads the NFL in fourth-quarter rushing yards (221). He also leads the league in yards per carry (6.12) —just ahead of Philadelphia’s Ryan Matthews (6.11).

• Minnesota offensive coordinator Norv Turner was Fisher’s position coach when Fisher played defensive back way back when at Southern California.

• Since the start of the 2012 season, the Rams lead the league in sacks with 171.