Rams Notebook: Healthy again, Daniels tries to work his way back at S/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: Healthy again, Daniels tries to work his way back at safety
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_72d9d50e-c319-5a5b-95c6-016b3b24786d.html

Rams safety Matt Daniels finds himself playing catch-up again.

Signed as an undrafted free agent following the 2012 NFL draft, Daniels, a standout player from Duke University, saw special-teams action in four games as a rookie before suffering a season-ending knee injury in the Rams’ loss to the New England Patriots in London.

He battled back to regain a roster spot last year, only to go down with a fractured ankle in a Week 2 loss to the Falcons in Atlanta.

“Both times, I was blocking and a teammate ended up rolling up on me and I ended up hurt,’’ the 24-year-old Daniels said following Saturday’s practice at Rams Park in Earth City. “It’s been tough — two unfortunate events that took place — but I try not to dwell on them. I feel good and I’m back at it again.

“I’m just trying to move on and help this football team.’’

Interestingly, Daniels said coming back from the ankle injury was tougher than the ACL surgery.

“To be honest, I would’ve preferred another ACL,’’ he said. “With the ankle, I wasn’t able to walk for four months. After the ACL, they have you walking in two weeks, so at least you have a chance to strengthen the leg and start working your way back.

“In the ankle, there are so many different types of muscles and tendons that need to be built back up. And since it was the same leg as the knee, I had to work to strengthen the quad as well.’’

The 6-foot, 212-pound Daniels managed to get back on the practice field for the team’s final OTA workout in June.

“That meant a lot for me, getting a chance to build up a little confidence going into the break,’’ he said. “I feel good and I know what I have to do; it’s just a matter of staying on the field and getting used to playing football again.

“Every year, they bring in guys to replace you — that’s the job — so now it’s up to me to make the most of every opportunity I’m given.’’

Daniels spent the break in St. Louis, working with the Rams’ training staff.

“They do a great job; I left my rehab in their hands,’’ Daniels said. “They’re great guys and I really appreciate all they’ve done for me over the last couple of years.

“But I’d rather not see them for a while.’’

RAM-BLINGS

• Rookie defensive end Michael Sam, a seventh-round draft choice from Mizzou, enjoyed a strong workout Saturday at Rams Park. Working from the left side, he flashed some of the moves that helped him earn co-defensive player of the year honors in the SEC a year ago.

Saturday’s workout drew 1,434 fans as cloud cover and a steady breeze helped keep the predicted upper-90 temperatures in check.

Sunday’s workout, free and open to the public, begins at 5:30 p.m.

• Second-year offensive lineman Barrett Jones worked at center with the starting offensive line Saturday along with Joe Barksdale at right tackle, Rodger Saffold at right guard, Davin Joseph at left guard and rookie Greg Robinson at left tackle.

• Second-year receiver Stedman Bailey came on strong during 7-on-7 drills, hauling in a Sam Bradford bomb down the left sideline against Janoris Jenkins. Later, after a nice double move to get away from Brandon McGee, Bailey grabbed another Bradford pass.

Bailey, unfortunately, will not be available the first four games while serving a suspension for violating the NFL’s policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

Also in 7-on-7s, starting corner Trumaine Johnson appeared to tweak a hamstring after knocking away a pass intended for Brian Quick. Johnson did not return to practice.

• Rams great and future Hall of Famer Kurt Warner will be broadcasting live from Rams Park Sunday for the NFL Network.

• Among those not practicing Saturday were tackle Jake Long, center Scott Wells, defensive end William Hayes, defensive end Sammy Brown, linebacker Johnny Millard, fullback Kadeem Jones, safety Christian Bryant and defensive lineman Ethan Westbrooks.

• The Chiefs have released guard Rokevious Watkins, a Rams’ fifth-round draft pick in 2012. In July, he received a four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy.

• Archdiocesan Athletic Association rivals Kennedy and Trinity had coaches on hand to watch Saturday’s workout.