Rams notebook: Fisher opts for shortened workout for battered squad

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: Fisher opts for shortened workout for battered squad
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_650025d8-8065-585d-8d3a-7b816277f5c1.html

In what has already been an unusual week, the Rams had a one-hour walk-through in place of their regular practice Wednesday afternoon.

That’s what happens when you spend a couple of days reworking the 53-man roster and 10-man practice squad while dealing with multiple injuries.

“I had 13 people on the injury report and I felt like we needed to back down,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said, adding that the Rams are facing a familiar foe this week in the NFC West rival San Francisco. “Our focus is having them ready (for) Sunday.’’

When the Rams (2-5) take on the 49ers (4-3) Sunday at 3:05 p.m. in their first trip to new Levi’s Stadium, they will definitely be without starting left tackle Jake Long (knee) and No. 1 wide receiver Brian Quick (shoulder).

On Wednesday, the Rams made it official as Quick joined Long on injured reserve.

Chosen by the Rams with the initial pick of the second round in 2012, Quick was in the midst of a breakout season with career bests in starts (seven), catches (25), receiving yards (375) and touchdowns (three).

He was replaced on the 53-man roster by offensive lineman Brandon Washington, a 6-2, 318-pounder from the University of Miami who was promoted from the practice squad. A sixth-round draft pick by the Philadelphia Eagles in 2012, Washington was signed by the Rams shortly after being cut that fall and has spent almost all of the last two-plus seasons on the practice squad. He made his NFL debut in last season’s finale at Seattle.

Veteran receiver and kick returner Damian Williams was also added to the active roster Wednesday. Williams, 26, played in college at Arkansas and Southern California and was drafted in the third round of the 2010 draft by Fisher’s Tennessee Titans. He spent the next four seasons there, enjoying a career year in 2011 with 45 catches for 592 yards and five touchdowns in 13 starts. In one game this season with the Miami Dolphins, the 6-foot-1, 200-pound Williams had one 14-yard reception.

“I was surprised he was available; (Miami) released him on Saturday,’’ Fisher said. “Losing Brian, it feels like Damian is a perfect fit for us as a back-up returner and as a fifth receiver right now. He’s smart. He’ll learn real quickly and obviously has a chance to be active this week.’’

To open a spot, the Rams cut defensive back Jemea Thomas, a rookie from Georgia Tech who made his Rams debut Sunday.

In moves involving the practice squad Wednesday, the Rams released wide receiver Kadron Boone and added tackle Steven Baker, wide receiver Emory Blake, tight end Justice Cunningham and offensive lineman Travis Bond.

Baker, a 6-foot-8, 310-pounder from East Carolina, signed as an undrafted free agent with Indianapolis in 2012 and has also been with Arizona, Kansas City, the New York Giants and Miami.

Blake, Bond and Cunningham have all been with the Rams during the last couple of seasons.

Quarterback Case Keenum cleared waivers and will be added to the practice squad.

“Just took a day off,’’ he kidded.

INJURY REPORT

Because Wednesday was just a walk-through and not a full practice, Fisher had to estimate player participation. Eight of the 13 players on the injury report — defensive end William Hayes (foot), guard Rodger Saffold (shoulder), cornerback Janoris Jenkins (knee), defensive tackle Aaron Donald (shoulder), safety Rodney McLeod (knee), linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar (toe), center Scott Wells (elbow) and safety Cody Davis (concussion) — were listed as not practicing.

In addition, cornerback Trumaine Johnson (knee), center Tim Barnes (shoulder), wide receiver Kenny Britt (hip), cornerback Marcus Roberson (ankle) and defensive back Lamarcus Joyner (hip) were limited.

“We’ll get some players back tomorrow and then more and more players back on Friday,’’ said Fisher, whose team fell 31-17 to the visiting 49ers on Oct. 13.

Coming off its bye week, San Francisco had just four players on its Wednesday injury list. Cornerback Chris Culliver (hamstring) was a full participant, with linebacker Patrick Willis (toe), cornerback Tramaine Brock (toe) and safety Jimmie Ward (quadriceps) limited.

EARLY HALLOWEEN

On Tuesday, safety Rodney McLeod hosted a “Halloween Huddle’’ for a group of patients from Shriners Hospital for Children at Kokomo Joe’s in St. Peters.

“We had probably 10 kids, plus their brothers and sisters, and I think everybody really enjoyed themselves. Including me,’’ he said. “We played laser tag, bowled, played a bunch of different arcade games. Those kids are so brave, so courageous. I’m just glad to be able to help out and try to put a smile on their faces.’’

McLeod said he was introduced to Shriners in the week before playing in the 2012 East-West Shrine Game following his senior season at the University of Virginia.

“It was kind of a life-changing experience,’’ the third-year pro explained. “Once I realized the hospital was here, I decided to reach out to them and I thought we did a great job of putting the event together. The kids were excited and they enjoyed themselves a lot.’’