Rams notebook: Bates goes above and beyond for blocked FG/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams notebook: Bates goes above and beyond for blocked FG
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_1f6a0f9b-c8b1-52e5-886f-48390ed69a5e.html

With his team trailing by 10 with about two minutes to play in Sunday’s loss to the visiting New York Giants, second-year linebacker Daren Bates went above and beyond to at least try to give the Rams a final chance.

On a 29-yard field goal attempt by ex-Ram Josh Brown, Bates flashed his athletic ability and uncanny timing to hurdle New York long snapper Zak DeOssie and block the kick.

“I’d never tried anything like that before,’’ Bates said. Special teams coordinator John Fassel “talked to me about it earlier this season, at San Francisco, wanted to know if I thought I could do it. We waited for a team that it might work against and it turned out to be the Giants.’’

The key to a play like that, Bates said, is the timing.

“You don’t practice something like that. You can’t because somebody might get hurt,’’ he said. “You go off tendencies, watching the snapper and the holder and then just try to make a play. I’ve always been able to jump — I played basketball in high school — but something like this, it has to be perfect. You have to get there before the line comes up because if they come up, you’re not going to make it too far.

“I don’t know how many times out of 10 I could do it, but all I needed was one. It worked perfectly; it was actually easier than I thought it would be.’’

Unfortunately for the Rams, Bates’ block deflected to his right, where it was covered by teammate Will Herring. At the time, Bates was hoping for a big return.

“I wanted to knock it forward and run with it, but the football’s weird, it bounces any way it wants to,’’ said Bates, who scored last year on an 11-yard fumble return on a kickoff in Houston.

Bates’ play Sunday ended up No. 1 on ESPN SportCenter’s plays of the day.

“It was cool to see,’’ he said. “I heard from a lot of people back home.’’

Bates, an Auburn University product signed as an undrafted free agent in 2013, said he’d never played special teams before coming to the NFL. But the 5-foot-11, 225-pounder has excelled in that role with the Rams.

“It wasn’t that big an adjustment because it’s just playing football,’’ he said. “You play hard, you do your job and you do what they ask you to do. I knew that special teams would give me an opportunity (in the NFL) and I feel like I’m coming along. You always want to be better, of course, and I definitely feel like I’m better now than I was last year.’’

Bates, who sat out two midseason games with a groin injury, still trails Chase Reynolds 17-10 for the team lead in special-teams tackles. But Bates now holds a slim lead in the overall special teams rankings. Joining Bates and Reynolds in the top five are Cody Davis, Herring and Eureka High product Maurice Alexander.

SAFFOLD HONORED

Left guard Rodger Saffold was awarded the 2014 Bryan Burwell “Good Guy’’ Award by the St. Louis chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America following practice on Wednesday.

The award is presented for the player’s qualities and professionalism in helping the writers do their job.

Last year, the local award was shared by linebacker James Laurinaitis and defensive end Chris Long.

INJURY REPORT

Cornerback E.J. Gaines (concussion) and center Scott Wells (back) sat out Wednesday’s workout at Rams Park. Cornerback Janoris Jenkins (back) was limited.

For Sunday’s opponent, the Seahawks, there were six players who sat out Wednesday’s workout — defensive end Demarcus Dobbs (ankle), tight end Cooper Helfet (ribs), wide receiver Jermaine Kearse (hamstring), running back Marshawn Lynch (back), wide receiver Chris Matthews (hamstring) and cornerback Tharold Simon (shoulder). Center Max Unger (ankle, foot) was limited, with tackle Russell Okung (chest) and tight end Tony Moeaki (shoulder) going through full workouts.

Neither team will practice today.

SIX GIANTS FINED

According to an AP report, six New York Giants were fined a total of $72,400 for their actions in Sunday’s victory over the Rams.

Wide receiver Preston Parker and defensive end Damontre Moore were fined $15,000 apiece for taking part in a second-quarter brawl that started when Rams linebacker Alec Ogletree took Odell Beckham Jr. to the ground well out of bounds. Beckham was fined $10,000 for kicking at Ogletree after the takedown.

Parker, Moore and the Rams’ William Hayes were ejected from the contest.

But it was Giants defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins who received the biggest fine — $16,000 for driving Rams QB Shaun Hill to the ground. Brown, the New York kicker and a former Ram, was fined $8,200 for a mule-kick directed at Davis after the kicker was shoved into a pileup.

New York long snapper Zak DeOssie was fined $8,200 for a late hit out of bounds on a Rams punt return.

The NFL routinely informs players about fines on Wednesday, but more should be known later in the week. Rams Ogletree and T.J. McDonald said Wednesday that they had not heard from the league about fines.

RAM-BLING

Former University of Missouri running back Henry Josey received an early Christmas present as Minnesota added him to its 53-man roster on Wednesday. The Vikings claimed Josey from the Jacksonville Jaguars’ practice squad.

The Vikings’ move came a day after they cut Ben Taint.

Signed as an undrafted free agent by Philadelphia, Josey was cut by the Eagles at the end of training camp and then signed by the Jags’ practice squad.