Rams Notebook: Austin and Jenkins miss practice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_0f6a23d7-bde5-5e06-9812-62300ff68a8e.html

For the third time in as many days, wide receiver and kick returner Tavon Austin (ankle) and cornerback Janoris Jenkins (back) sat out practice Friday at Rams Park.

Austin, who was hurt at the end of a 56-yard run last weekend in Arizona, was again in a walking boot Friday to protect his left ankle.

“He’s questionable (for Sunday); that’s 50-50,’’ Rams coach Jeff Fisher said following Friday’s workout.

The Rams’ injury report also lists Jenkins, running back Daryl Richardson (thigh) and guard Harvey Dahl (knee) as questionable for Sunday’s 3:25 p.m. game against the NFC South-leading New Orleans Saints at the Edward Jones Dome.

Richardson and Dahl also sat out practice Friday. Dahl returned to action last week after missing the previous four games with a knee injury.

After sitting out Wednesday, rookie cornerback Brandon McGee (foot) was a full participant in Friday’s practice and is probable for Sunday.

If Austin cannot play, possible replacements on kickoffs are Benny Cunningham, Isaiah Pead and Chris Givens. Austin Pettis is second on the unofficial depth chart on punt returns.

The only New Orleans starter on the Friday injury list is defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley (back), who practiced Friday and is listed as questionable for Sunday. Other Saints listed as questionable are safety Rafael Bush (ankle), tight end Josh Hill (hamstring), linebacker Keyunta Dawson (calf), tackle Terron Armstead (nose) and defensive end Glenn Foster (knee).

Armstead, a Cahokia High product, went on to star at Arkansas-Pine Bluff and was the the Saints’ third-round draft choice in April. Foster is a rookie free agent from the University of Illinois.

VOTE FOR JOHNNY

When Rams punter Johnny Hekker arrived at Rams Park on Friday morning, he received an unexpected — and somewhat uncomfortable — surprise.

Hanging in each locker and being worn by employees all over Rams Park was a T-shirt touting Hekker for the Pro Bowl that said, in part: “Vote For The Real Johnny Football.’’

“I didn’t have anything to do with it,’’ the second-year pro said. “It’s flattering and kind of embarrassing at the same time. Just to know that people in the organization are cheering for me and want to be successful and want to see me get some recognition is nice, but I couldn’t be where I am without my teammates executing at a high level.

“They respect what I do and I respect the heck out of what they do. Just seeing teammates wearing the shirts, it’s cool. It’s just fun to see the guys have my back.’’

Despite leading the NFL in net punting average (43.9) and allowing just 2.9 yards per punt return this season, Hekker does not rank among the top 10 in the Pro Bowl voting.

Fans can vote through Dec. 26 at www.nfl.com/probowl/ballot.

Punters “can have a really high average, kicking the ball down the field, but if you’re giving up big returns, that’s not the most efficient way to do it,’’ said Hekker, whose punting average (46.4) is ninth in the league. “That’s one thing coach Bones (special teams coordinator John Fassel) and I talked about last season. We focused on it, trying to get a rookie record. We didn’t end up getting it, so this season I’m just trying to limit big returns, to put the ball in the right spot, to get good hang time and to let the players who are real athletes get down the field and make plays. And they’ve been doing a great job.’’

RAM-BLINGS

The Rams’ nominee for the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award, defensive end William Hayes, talked about the honor after practice Friday.

“It’s pretty cool, the idea that you’re getting recognized for the good things you do in the community, but you don’t really do it for the recognition. You do it out of the kindness of your heart,’’ he said. “I just just try to do stuff when I have something in my heart or if I see a need for something. Then I just try to attack it.’’

The award is based on community service, charity work and excellence on the field. Each of the league’s 32 teams will nominate a player, with the three finalists to be honored during Super Bowl week.

• Rams defensive end Eugene Sims was not fined for his penalized block on Arizona quarterback Carson Palmer during a Jenkins’ fumble return last week. The Cardinals’ Darnell Dockett picked up a fine of $7,875 for stepping on the hand of Rams guard Chris Williams.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Who would start at CB if Jenkins is out? Pointer?

Also, the NFL not fining Sims for the hit shows the refs got the call wrong.

Alan

Legend
Lesson wondering:
Who would start at CB if Jenkins is out? Pointer?

Also, the NFL not fining Sims for the hit shows the refs got the call wrong.
If it's McGee, Pointer and Tru, who are the back ups?

Lesson

Oh, really?
If it's McGee, Pointer and Tru, who are the back ups?

McLeod would probably play a little CB if needed(he played nickel a few weeks ago vs Chicago). Woodard might be signed off the practice squad for this game if it looks like JJ can't go.