Rams Not Interested In Evan Mathis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Don't think there's roster room for him even if he has 1 more good year in him.
Rams lost 4 O linemen in off season that got some snaps.
They drafted 4 O linemen who will make the roster. Just because their draft picks,
They signed Reynolds, while he isn't really all that good, he is versatile.
Rhaney is back after IR, And with Jones and Barnes being able to play G he could stick as a C.

Doing the math, thats +2.
And thankfully the Rams might have more legit Lineman than slots in like forever. And that will let them say good bye to the roster fillers that always seem to make the team for the lack of finding a heartbeat in any other cadavers they have permeated on us.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
How many OLG's do the Rams need?

Some reasons why the Rams are not interested in the older 34 yr old smaller 6-5 296 pound OLG?

#1-Last years main starting OLG is Rodger Saffold who is the Rams best OL. The Rams made Saffold their highest paid OL'er when Rodger Saffold signed a 5 year, $31,347,235 contract, including a $5,000,000 signing bonus, $19,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $6,269,447.
#2- Rams Org. then went out & signed a UFA 28-7 yr Garrett Reynolds who signed a 2 year, $2,200,000 contract $249,999 guaranteed. Reynolds filled in & backed up Saffold's OLG post in the OTA's.
#3-Boudreau also has Brandon Washington who is a 26 yr old left side OL who has been here since Boudreau arrived in 2012 being groomed. BW only regular season action was @ OLG. During OTA's it was BW who was first team OLT.
#4-Ram's Org has other OLG prospects too in versatile Barrett Jones who will enter his 3rd NFL season after being drafted in the 4th rd. by Snead/Fisher.
#5- Rams have another half dozen other rookie & 1st yr prospects who could figure in @ OLG .....Cody Wichmann, Jamon Brown, David Wang, Andrew Donnal & Demetrius Rhaney.

RamWoodie

Legend
As much as I wanna see our new guys out there, I also don't want to lose a qb again.
Which is what camp is all about. I pretty much trust Fisher when it comes to the OLine. We know over the last few seasons the main thing disrupting the OLine has been injury.

We have to be hopeful that when it comes to the OLine, they won't get bit by that bug again.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Camp may be worth money to us diehard Fans who can start to smell a winning senerio. This has got to be handled right. I want total open communication with rookie OL and Vet DL. That normally does'nt happen as OL coaches want to have the rookies ears totally. I want C. Long and Quinn to have freedom to teach and let the Rooks know what TELLS they are giving away UNTIL THEY GET IT. No way Boudreau can catch everything even watching practice film. Let our awesome vets bring these guys along much faster. Maybe run it by Coach Boo first. I want to be there and watch it happen. I just may be screamin for them to add Mathis if things are'nt movin along fast enough. Aint havin no freakin slow start with the hags up first. I want MAXIMUM BLOOD DRAWN. Go RAMS!!!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I pass. I'd rather the Rams work with what they have! You have to develop your center...you may as well start now. If they see the need to make a move...they'll do it...but not now with Mathis.

The Rams have Barnes, Rhaney, and Wang. We already know Barnes can play that spot well.

I'm not really sure I understand this. Why are you mentioning the center position regarding Mathis? And you want to develop the center and that's fine, but a rookie guard next to him makes that happen as opposed to a vet guard like Mathis?

paceram

Pro Bowler
How many OLG's do the Rams need?

Some reasons why the Rams are not interested in the older 34 yr old smaller 6-5 296 pound OLG?

#1-Last years main starting OLG is Rodger Saffold who is the Rams best OL. The Rams made Saffold their highest paid OL'er when Rodger Saffold signed a 5 year, $31,347,235 contract, including a $5,000,000 signing bonus, $19,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $6,269,447.
#2- Rams Org. then went out & signed a UFA 28-7 yr Garrett Reynolds who signed a 2 year, $2,200,000 contract $249,999 guaranteed. Reynolds filled in & backed up Saffold's OLG post in the OTA's.
#3-Boudreau also has Brandon Washington who is a 26 yr old left side OL who has been here since Boudreau arrived in 2012 being groomed. BW only regular season action was @ OLG. During OTA's it was BW who was first team OLT.
#4-Ram's Org has other OLG prospects too in versatile Barrett Jones who will enter his 3rd NFL season after being drafted in the 4th rd. by Snead/Fisher.
#5- Rams have another half dozen other rookie & 1st yr prospects who could figure in @ OLG .....Cody Wichmann, Jamon Brown, David Wang, Andrew Donnal & Demetrius Rhaney.

I enjoyed reading your post and it does make a lot of sense! I will admit that I still would like to see the Rams sign Mathis IF it was a short-term deal and it was cost friendly (Which, I doubt!). I think Mathis's veteran leadership along with Saffold could be invaluable to the young Rams Offensive Linemen. But, I am definitely OK (Not that it matters to the Rams if I am OK with it or not!) with the Rams going with the younger offensive line! I am guessing they will have their bumps and bruises and their share of mistakes but in the long run they will be gaining a ton of valuable playing time/experience which I think will end up benefiting the Rams Offense (Hopefully, Sooner than Later!)! The Rams OL may have some issues this year but I am guessing in a year or two they will end up being a very strong unit for the Rams!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If he was cheap enough, sure. Name of the game this season should be to make the playoffs, not another rebuild year. It wouldn't hurt any of those interior rookies to red shirt a year and learn from one of the best Gs over the last couple years. If the logic of drafting players says that you can't let past mistakes dictate what you do in the future, than past FA misses shouldn't stop us from picking us a guy who could help fill a spot that's at best questionable. You can always use him as a 6th linemen if one of the rookies can beat him out, and if they can't then it's good you picked him up.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How about a two-year deal loaded with incentives?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's been said before - giving any other player a big contract - even one that is just for one year - will mean that it will be much harder for the Rams to sign all their pending free agents. So not only will the Rams have slightly delayed developing a young guard - they will lose one of their draft picks from a few years past. So the question is - will signing Evan Mathis, a quality but definitely aging guard who missed much of 2014, who has made it clear that he is all about the money - be a good move for the Rams, both for 2015 and for future years? I'd vote no, unless he is willing to play for FAR less than he was willing to play for the Eagles. But I'm guessing he is waiting to sign with a team that will guarantee him one last huge pay check. Which is his right, but not in the Rams' interest.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm not really sure I understand this. Why are you mentioning the center position regarding Mathis? And you want to develop the center and that's fine, but a rookie guard next to him makes that happen as opposed to a vet guard like Mathis?
Brain drain basically. For some reason I was thinking Mathis had played some center...however, I stick to my basic point...which is the Rams need to develop their young OLine...period. Don't overpay some FA guy.

Last edited: