Rams not getting enough from quarterback Nick Foles/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams not getting enough from quarterback Nick Foles
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ot-getting-enough-from-quarterback-nick-foles

MINNEAPOLIS -- On a blustery Minnesota afternoon, the Minnesota Vikings sent a clear message to the St. Louis Rams with a simple choice made after a simple coin toss.

As the team captains converged at midfield before overtime in an 18-18 game, the Rams called tails and the coin came up heads, giving Minnesota the choice. Because of NFL overtime rules, teams almost always take the ball first in overtime because a touchdown on the first possession ends the game without the opponent ever touching it.

But with the wind swirling on the west end of the stadium, the Vikings threw a curveball, opting to have the wind at their back and giving the Rams a chance to win it to open the extra period. Rams coach Jeff Fisher admitted he was not expecting the Vikings to make that decision.

"I was not, no," Fisher said. "It worked out for them."

That it did as the Vikings couldn't have scripted it much better, getting the Rams to go three and out, forcing them to punt into the wind and promptly picking up enough yards to kick a game-winning field goal. Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said he didn't want to give the Rams the wind at their back because kicker Greg Zuerlein had connected from 61 and 53 yards kicking toward the east goal posts.

What Zimmer didn't say but was implied was that the Rams offense, particularly quarterback Nick Foles, could beat his defense without something special from running back Todd Gurley or receiver Tavon Austin.

"The first thing is I was surprised," Vikings end Brian Robison said. "The second thing is it tells me he has confidence in us to go out there and get the job done. Anytime your coach has that type of confidence in the defense, you don't want to disappoint."

After Gurley lost 6 yards on the first play from scrimmage, the Rams were essentially done. Foles and the passing game had barely pushed the ball down the field most of the day with a couple of notable exceptions. Coordinator Frank Cignetti didn't show much desire to try it in overtime as the next play was a quick screen for no gain and then an overthrow from Foles on third down.

That brought to an end another long day at the office for Foles. While Foles didn't have any turnovers, that was really the only statistic on his final line that looked like a positive. He finished 18-of-33 for 168 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions for a passer rating of 68.8 and a QBR of 32.0.

Of those 33 attempts, Foles attempted just five passes that traveled 20 or more yards down the field. He converted two of those for 78 yards and should have had another on a deep ball that Austin dropped though that ball was also under thrown.

Foles wasn't fond of his performance in evaluating it after the game.

"Not good enough to win," Foles said. "I put a lot on myself and I have to just keep playing better and growing as a quarterback. We have to get touchdowns, especially on the road. We have to get touchdowns when we get in the red zone."

The Rams aren't going to ask Foles to suddenly start throwing it all over the yard in part because of spotty pass protection and inconsistent receivers but until or unless they can get more from him, it's going to be hard for them to be a complete offense.

Part of that includes Foles taking advantage when he does have opportunities to get the ball down the field. On the game's opening play, Foles had Britt running free for a possible touchdown and didn't throw it. While the Rams were going into the wind on that play, Foles later hit Britt for that 55-yard gain going in the same direction.

For the season, Foles is 12-of-31 on throws traveling 20-plus yards in the air for 448 yards, two touchdowns and an interception for a 94.5 passer rating and an 87.8 QBR. Those numbers aren't bad, actually, but the Rams need to do it more and Foles has to be willing to cut it loose when it's called.

Since throwing for 297 yards in the season opener, Foles hasn't so much as even hit 200 passing yards in the seven ensuing games.

"We're not as productive as we'd like to be on offense," coach Jeff Fisher said. "We made some bigger plays but when it came down to it, we did not continue to keep drives alive. That's been a problem for us here the last few weeks so we have got to keep working on that."

Halfway through the season, there's no doubt that this is Gurley's offense with Austin close behind. But on days like Sunday when an opponent is doing all it can to take the rookie runner out of it, the onus falls on Foles to make something happen. It's a bet that right now, opponents are willing to make.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I'm going to read the above (and hate myself for it), but before I do - "thanks Captain Obvious".

RamzFanz

Damnit
When TA was getting 5 touches a game and I was saying he needed twice that many, some argued his success would diminish. I said let them do it and then we'll see. They did it and it was very good.

Now I'm saying the same thing with Foles. Protect him and catch his passes, and we'll see. He's better than this season so far, much better. Not great, but better.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
The good news is......

Havenstein was sorely missed. Add Donnel to mix and....?

Pretty much a disaster. Not totally disagreeing about Foles, but I want to see him with his Oline back.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm going to read the above (and hate myself for it), but before I do - "thanks Captain Obvious".

Captain Obvious - "oh, and your passing game smells slightly of mold...and sadness"

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Cignetti has got to learn to get Austin the ball (and others) in ways besides a sweep. Austin is usually good on short crossing patterns as well. The problem, IMO, is we are getting too predictable.
The formations are the same so, sure, you may have to figure out if Austin or Gurley is getting it but if you are sound in coverage it's not as hard to stop once you've seen it 5 times in a game.
Most importantly (and obvious) when Foles has guys open he can't keep overthrowing by 5 yards and when it hits you in the hands, catch the damn thing.
We are the very definition of insanity sometimes.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The good news is......

Havenstein was sorely missed. Add Donnel to mix and....?

Pretty much a disaster. Not totally disagreeing about Foles, but I want to see him with his Oline back.

But Foles has struggled with the starters (sans Saffold) so, while starting a couple back-ups certainly didn't help, I believe there is still a problem with this offesne even if the starting Oline is playing.

Is it all Foles? Of course not. But he's been struggling for most of this year... regardless of who's playing in front of him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The 3 plays in overtime tell a story in themselves....First, the opponents see what a bunch of us see, the offense couldn't score on a hooker, if the fee was already paid....gives up the ball in OT.... Second, Cig dialed up those first 2 plays? In OT? Really?!? And 3rd, Foles didn't wanna audible outta the first 2 plays...Run Gurley left, then a screen pass....Really? Were we trying to score? Were we trying to score a TD after halftime? Did we think 15 points in an NFL game was cool?

If the team looks at itself as this limited....then we as fans need to reign in our huge expectations....and don't start with me about the damn wind....

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
When TA was getting 5 touches a game and I was saying he needed twice that many, some argued his success would diminish. I said let them do it and then we'll see. They did it and it was very good.

Now I'm saying the same thing with Foles. Protect him and catch his passes, and we'll see. He's better than this season so far, much better. Not great, but better.
Foles is holding himself back just as much as his team is, he's going to have to make tough throws and see his open guys and get through his reads better. The pass protection was better than our run protection on Sunday and the only drops came from Cook who we all know is going to drop everything anyways, and a lofty one to Tavon that even a 6 footer would have trouble handling, so it's hard to blame a guy who's shorter than even me for not being able to reel it in.

More than bad protection and drops, there was just plays being left on the field left and right. Foles is going to have to play better than he has since Green Bay or everything will be for naught.

fearsomefour

Legend

He is an average QB....but, a consistent average passing game and this team wins a lot of games.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the offense couldn't score on a hooker, if the fee was already paid
Now... THAT is funny! (and sad)

The 3 plays in overtime tell a story in themselves
Great point!

Cig dialed up those first 2 plays? In OT? Really?!? And 3rd, Foles didn't wanna audible outta the first 2 plays...Run Gurley left, then a screen pass....Really? Were we trying to score?
One has to wonder (if we were trying to score). Sure didn't look that way to me... looked like we were trying not to lose in OT with a turnover, then rely on our defense to win the game for us. Problem is: That simply doesn't happen much. I'd put the chances at around 10%?

If the team looks at itself as this limited....then we as fans need to reign in our huge expectations....
I love this board... love the optimism... but, going into this season with all the unknowns (new OC, new QB, would Gurley be "all that" and when, outrageously young and inexperienced Oline), I was tapping the brakes kinda hard.

Sadly, those unknowns are becoming knowns... and I don't like it one bit.

But my expectations were not unrealistic to start the season (IMO)...

At this point? Seems to me the offense can only go up from here.

I guess that's cause for optimism? :cautious:

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Those 3 plays on offense in overtime summed up the whole game for me. The only way it could have been more typical of the performance was if 3 jet sweeps to Tavon had been called.

After the game I said to myself "I hate this offense."

In the last two seasons with Clemens and then Hill/Davis, the offense was much more fun to watch than this version.

Athos

Legend
I keep mentioning how this offense can only move the ball thru play fakes.

Not a recipe for long term success.

Need players and coaches who can be successful without so much junk.

This team HAS to be successful with traditional play calls.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
captain-obvious-south-park.jpg

RamzFanz

Damnit
Foles is holding himself back just as much as his team is, he's going to have to make tough throws and see his open guys and get through his reads better. The pass protection was better than our run protection on Sunday and the only drops came from Cook who we all know is going to drop everything anyways, and a lofty one to Tavon that even a 6 footer would have trouble handling, so it's hard to blame a guy who's shorter than even me for not being able to reel it in.

More than bad protection and drops, there was just plays being left on the field left and right. Foles is going to have to play better than he has since Green Bay or everything will be for naught.

TA came back to the ball AND jumped. Which means he shouldn't have come back to the ball. We have tall receivers for the deep plays. Britt probably catches that pass even with the bad adjustment. I blame the coaches for, once again, sending TA deep for an incomplete. Foles is not accurate deep, but we knew that.

Of course, it could be that the wind was a bigger factor that game than we are considering, which means both TA and Foles were affected.

I agree Foles missed seeing open receivers. It has to get better. We could have lit up the Vikings the first play and set the bar.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Cigs deserves a lot of criticism for that series in OT.

He knows the OL had been hit and miss all game long. A handoff to Gurley to start the possession was playing right into Zimmer's hands.

If he had simply called a play action pass to capitalize on knowing the Vikes would key on Gurley the OT might have been very different.

Foles is getting most of the criticism as he should. But that series was so critical, and making it easy on the Vikes defense was not what this team needed at that point in time.