Rams' No. 2 Pick Not For Sale ... Yet

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

Rams' No. 2 pick not for sale ... yet
By Nick Wagoner

[espn.go.com]

ST. LOUIS -- The No. 2 overall pick belonging to the St. Louis Rams isn't officially for sale yet but it's probably safe to call it what real estate types refer to as a pocket listing.

Rams general manager Les Snead discussed the pick and more Thursday afternoon and though he was reluctant to say his team is ready to auction the No. 2 pick it got from Washington, he also made it clear that all options are again under consideration.

The allure of quarterbacks Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III put the Rams in a more powerful position for the 2012 NFL draft.
"I don't want to sit here and go, 'Guess what, we're trading back no matter what,'" Snead said. "You've always got to prepare for: What if you're there and nobody wants to trade? What if you actually want to take a player? I think it just helps you thoroughly prepare that if you do move back, if you move back to this slot, what type of player, who do you think you'll be picking from there? The thing you've got to evaluate is is that worthwhile depending on what you get?"

Of course, that doesn't mean if one of the many quarterback or Jadeveon Clowney-needy teams out there were to call Snead that he'd let it go to voicemail.

"I think the [phone lines] are always open," Snead said.

When Snead made the 2012 trade with Washington that landed the pick that would become this No. 2 selection, things came together quickly. Once all of the underclassmen declared and it was clear that Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III were the two "franchise" quarterbacks available, the value of that No. 2 pick was obvious.

With Indianapolis drafting No. 1 overall, it was nearly certain that Peyton Manning would be on his way out and Luck was going to be the successor.

Put simply, if a team wanted Luck or Griffin, it had to get where only the Rams and Colts were.

Snead set a price and Washington was the first team to meet it. More than a month from the draft, the deal was done. Don't expect that perfect storm to materialize in such a neat package this time around.

"Without a Peyton Manning [situation] out there, I think this one may be one that it doesn't happen as quick," Snead said.

The idea of trading the 2012 No. 2 pick was something of a no-brainer for a team that, at the time, had so many needs to fill. The Rams are clearly further along in their development than they were after the debacle of a 2011 season but there is plenty to consider when determining whether to auction off the pick again this time around.

The first step before Snead and the Rams can even begin to set a price is determining if there are players available that teams are going to covet enough to give up future picks. Teams could look at the original Rams-Redskins trade and be wary of the chances of offering up a future top two choice.

While there appear to be players worth moving up for, namely quarterbacks such as Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater, Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel or Central Florida's Blake Bortles, none approach Luck's or Griffin's profile as prospects. Clowney might but he doesn't play quarterback, which seems likely to keep him from coming close to drawing that type of return.

The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft hasn't passed yet, either, so trying to decipher how teams may view players now is something of a futile exercise.

"I think it's a good draft, quality players," Snead said. "Now, I think what always happens at the top of the draft is, who needs QBs? How many QBs do people think are worthy? Then it's just a supply and demand thing. Last year there were no QBs that went early. This year, you just don't know that yet. Because the other teams have got to decide we need a QB, that's a guy. Or those two are our guys. I think that's what determines that."

Some might argue that the Rams aren't in nearly the powerful position they were in 2012 because there may be more than just two quarterbacks worthy of a top five pick. But that's not necessarily the case, either.

As is often the case with quarterbacks, everybody has a different opinion so if a team values one signal caller over another, it's likely that team is going to make the move to ensure it gets the guy it wants rather than settling for a player it deems not quite as good, especially at that position.

Taking all of that into consideration, Snead isn't ruling out the possibility that if and when he does look to move the pick he could get at least a reasonable facsimile of the package he got from Washington again.

"Boy, that would be [great]," Snead said. "You never know through this process what other teams are thinking and who they really like. And then you've got to go through the interview process. And if it's one to two to three QBs, and those guys went in interviews and all of a sudden, maybe so.

"When you've been on a team that's looking for a QB, you're going to at all costs try to go get that QB. I mean there's a possibility."

As for what the Rams might do if they stayed put, Snead is predictably playing his hand close to the vest though he again made it clear the team is committed to Sam Bradford at quarterback. He did, however, acknowledge the Rams would look for help and depth at the position later on.

At this early stage, it's no surprise that the Rams haven't reached a point where a deal appears imminent or the pick is even on the table. A deal, should there be one, likely wouldn't come until draft day this time around.

With the draft not starting until May this year that means a couple extra weeks to speculate and determine the price of another move when the pick finally goes on the market.

"I'll be honest with you, I don't know that yet," Snead said. "I do know it's a valuable piece of real estate. I realize that. Now, no team's called. So you don't really know that. To determine the price has got to be how many bidders. And I don't even know if there's going to be one. But that's to be determined."

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This trade grill is still in the garage covered with dust missing a propane tank ...wait till the weather is right about spring time and the Trade grill will get pulled out & cleaned up with a new filled propane tank & set up for some serious trade grilling! Just not the right time yet for such matters.....but I bet the grill will get real hot, smoking & sizzling ....say last of April.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Just an intelligent approach, allow for all contingencies then decide what your plan is in the event each occurs.
I think we will trade the pick but ya know I remember a certain franchise trading up to get a certain tackle ,so IF you are where you know you're gonna your man, maybe you just pull the trigger.

Alan

Legend
PhxRam drinking from the glass in front of him:
But a good poker player would throw them off the scent by actually telling the truth.

Man in Black: All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead.

PhxRam: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Man in Black: You've made your decision then?

PhxRam: Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.

Man in Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

PhxRam: Wait till I get going! Now, where was I?

Man in Black: Australia.

PhxRam: Yes, Australia. And you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Man in Black: You're just stalling now.

PhxRam: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Man in Black: You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work.

PhxRam: IT HAS WORKED! YOU'VE GIVEN EVERYTHING AWAY! I KNOW WHERE THE POISON IS!

Man in Black: Then make your choice.

PhxRam: I will, and I choose - What in the world can that be?

Man in Black: [PhxRam gestures up and away from the table. Alan looks. PhxRam swaps the goblets]

Man in Black: What? Where? I don't see anything.

PhxRam: Well, I- I could have sworn I saw something. No matter. First, let's drink. Me from my glass, and you from yours.

Man in Black, PhxRam: [PhxRam and the Man in Black drink]

Man in Black: You guessed wrong.

PhxRam: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

PhxRam: [PhxRam stops suddenly, his smile frozen on his face and falls to the ground dead]

Buttercup: And to think, all that time it was your cup that was poisoned.

Man in Black: They were both poisoned. I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan

Legend
Hell yes! Orange Sunshine was my favorite. I actually had some Purple Ousley. It lasted for more than a day. Those were the days. But that's only when I couldn't get some Psilocyban. That was my fave. Never liked mescaline much for some reason. But then I joined the Air Force and that was that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
LOL......

Snead is doing it right......"we may use it, we may trade it".

This early in the game that's all he has to say.

It's a long way to May fellas.

ramsaddiction

Rookie
Name
Anthony
Just an intelligent approach, allow for all contingencies then decide what your plan is in the event each occurs.
I think we will trade the pick but ya know I remember a certain franchise trading up to get a certain tackle ,so IF you are where you know you're gonna your man, maybe you just pull the trigger.

Yeah, I wouldn't call it a smoke screen, it's just honest: We're going to identify the top two non-QBs on our board and either take one of those players or accept a trade offer that we like more than those players.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So in other words, Les said nothing. I'm thinking that's what I'd expect him to say at this point in time. I suppose some would like him to use some sort of smoke screen but why would he do that now? That's be like politicians starting to campaign a year before... oh wait! Scratch that.

Alan

Legend
PhxRam saying stuff:
Stuff.

Geez Bob! You know what I just noticed? You hardly have any ROD money. Aren't you really tight with the guy at the mint? :wow: :lol:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I thought he did a wonderful job.
Yeah it was , but still Gawd, Al has SOOOO much more energy now than virtually anytime I've knowed him.
I love it but still GAWD:omg:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Hell yes! Orange Sunshine was my favorite. I actually had some Purple Ousley. It lasted for more than a day. Those were the days. But that's only when I couldn't get some Psilocyban. That was my fave. Never liked mescaline much for some reason. But then I joined the Air Force and that was that.
why is it that i have absolutley no idea what anyone is talking about in this thread