Rams News Recap: May 20

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Demoff Strikes Conciliatory Tone on Stadium Project –PD
Despite what seems to be an obvious preference by the Rams to play their football in Los Angeles starting in 2016, team executive Kevin Demoff found himself in the unusual position Wednesday of updating team owners on the St. Louis stadium situation.

Can Progress in St. Louis Overcome LA Momentum? –PD
During his annual Super Bowl news conference nearly four months ago, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell talked about “positive developments” on the stadium front in St. Louis.

Rams All-Decade Draft Duds Team: Offense
The St Louis Rams’ draft history over the past ten years is one of many misses and very few hits. This is hardly surprising for a franchise that has not gained a winning record for over a decade, and poor drafting has been a main factor in this being the case.

Cohesion the Name of the Game at OTAs for the Rams –Bryant
With the draft behind us and organized team activities right around the corner (June 2, to be exact), there will be one major element the Rams will have to focus on if the takeaway is to be positive.

Bernie: More Urgency to Finalize STL Stadium Funding
The well-connected Daniel Kaplan of the SportsBusiness Journal has an interesting nugget on the NFL’s apparent decision to move up the timeline for franchises that wish to file for relocation to Los Angeles
Fox 2’s NFL Meeting Report –Video

L.A. will be Added as 2020 Super Bowl Finalist if Certain Provisions Met –Wagoner
The NFL has narrowed down eligible cities to host Super Bowls in 2019 and 2020, with Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans and Tampa Bay making the cut.

Camp plans not final but Rams still planning to train in Oxnard –Wagoner
The St. Louis Rams have yet to officially release their plans for their 2015 training camp but all signs still point to them spending some time in Oxnard, California, with the Dallas Cowboys.

Rams Add Jeff Garcia as Offensive Assistant –Wagoner
Former NFL quarterback Jeff Garcia finished as runner-up to Chris Weinke for the St. Louis Rams’ quarterback coach job in February.

Breer: The Rams are the Most Likely Team to Move to Los Angeles –Audio

Stadium update: Rams and Chargers –Video

Taking Stock of the St. Louis Rams –Video

Run Game Key to Foles Success? –Audio

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Morning Ram-blings: Rams get varied offseason grades
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...g-ram-blings-rams-get-varied-offseason-grades

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The ESPN NFL Insider group handed out grades Wednesday for every team for their work this offseason. With Organized Team Activities underway, most of the roster -uilding phase is over, which provides a golden opportunity for our experts to break it down.

The offseason grade for the St. Louis Rams from our panel, which includes Matt Williamson, Louis Riddick, Field Yates and Bill Polian, comes out to a solid 'B.' It's not the highest grade -- that went to the New York Jets -- or the lowest; that honor went to the San Francisco 49ers.

Our panel gave credit to the Rams for committing to a philosophy and going all in on it, adding Nick Foles at quarterback and the free-agent additions of Akeem Ayers and Nick Fairley on defense. On the other hand, the Rams drew some criticism for taking such a risk on running back Todd Gurley and not making more of a splash with their new offensive coordinator.

All in all, I tend to agree with the overall assessment. I'd take points off for not addressing the offensive line with more urgency, but adding a veteran guard like Justin Blalock could bump the overall grade up a tick. All in all, it was a solid offseason for the Rams, who we can now officially say look the part of what Jeff Fisher wants his team to look like.

I.C.Y.M.I.

A roundup of Wednesday's Rams stories appearing on ESPN.com. ... In the Ram-blings, we opened the day with a look at the latest on soccer in St. Louis and how it could effect the stadium efforts. ... The Rams still intend to train in Oxnard this summer. ... Former NFL quarterback Jeff Garcia has been added to the coaching staff as an offensive assistant. ... Raiders owner Mark Davis says he doesn't plan to sell his team or move it to St. Louis. ... In this week's buzz video, I discuss how Davis' proclamations might not hold up over time. ... The NFL plans to alter the time and process for filing for relocation. ... Los Angeles, namely Inglewood, would be a candidate for the 2020 Super Bowl if things play out in time.

Elsewhere:

NFL Nation columnist Kevin Seifert writes that the extra point change isn't that big of a deal.

The folks at fivethirtyeight.com added some numbers to support that theory.

At 101sports.com, Albert Breer discussed why Rams owner Stan Kroenke has the leg up on Los Angeles.

At stltoday.com, Bernie Miklasz says St. Louis should have more urgency than ever to get a stadium deal in place.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IMO The Rams draft will aid in the area of making the new OC job a bit easier.

Snead & Fisher used their first 6 of 8 draft selections in an effort to show their in house promotion that they are serious in getting him some assistance. I am sure it was hard for Fisher to contain his personal desires for top defensive talent along with DC Gregg Williams begging too.

The Evidence these below Offensive picks?
#1-RB Gurley
#2-ORT Havenstein
#3-OLT/OLG Brown
#3-QB Mannion
#4-ORT/OLG Donnal
#6-ORG Wichmann
#6-WR Sasser

I am well satisfied with what has taken place thus far & have very little reason to find fault with the Ram Org.

fearsomefour

Legend
IMO The Rams draft will aid in the area of making the new OC job a bit easier.

Snead & Fisher used their first 6 of 8 draft selections in an effort to show their in house promotion that they are serious in getting him some assistance. I am sure it was hard for Fisher to contain his personal desires for top defensive talent along with DC Gregg Williams begging too.

The Evidence these below Offensive picks?
#1-RB Gurley
#2-ORT Havenstein
#3-OLT/OLG Brown
#3-QB Mannion
#4-ORT/OLG Donnal
#6-ORG Wichmann
#6-WR Sasser

I am well satisfied with what has taken place thus far & have very little reason to find fault with the Ram Org.
The only thing would be not having the stones to take Collins later in the draft. Grabbing a first round talent in the 6th as opposed to yet another mid/late round WR who will have a hard time sticking is an easy choice to me. Seems cowardly .
I don't know enough about Donnal, Wichmann or Brown to comment but the approach to the draft is certainly one I agree with.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The only thing would be not having the stones to take Collins later in the draft. Grabbing a first round talent in the 6th as opposed to yet another mid/late round WR who will have a hard time sticking is an easy choice to me. Seems cowardly .
I don't know enough about Donnal, Wichmann or Brown to comment but the approach to the draft is certainly one I agree with.

I agree as usual on your thoughts on La'el Collins statement. From what i can find Its my thought here that you & I will be very VERY happy with ORG Cody Wichmann. He will be the late draft pick that I will follow & have plenty of interest in.....me thinks he could be another EJ Gaines event.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
For a real hardcore RAM fan, this offseason is almost a must see day to day event to be seen. I'd pay money to see everyday and even the weightroom efforts (who's in shape) by everyone. I want to see who is rehabbing and what and where they are at in being ready to play. If we even have a doubt right now I'm already signing Blaylock before an injury happens, or we see the transition from college to Pro will take longer for someone we are presently counting on.

We at least have the parts to adjust with as so much versatility in almost every player drafted and even specific packages we have picked FA's for. I want to see the offseason improvement with the "D" as much as I want to see Foles and the OL and the bigtime competition. Then the backup QB race just in case Foles has another injury season. I want to see both JL and Chris Long and see if they can hold up a full year (no way of knowing of course) with same solid contribution. We need more splash from A. Ogletree this year as he really can be special and then I'm expecting Stedman Bailey to be Foles #1 target in almost every wr position. I think Bailey is gonna be that special now that he has had NFL field time and offseason prep . What they do with TA will just be the cherry on top and hoping Quick can make his shoulder solid and durable once again.

With many seeing the seahags as the best team in the league before the season starts is a good thing we play the best first and twice. We are not here to just have a winning record or just make the playoff race. The FIRST GAME MEANS SO VEY MUCH we can't afford the traditional slow start. Even with the youngens. Sign Blaylock today. We have the money. Pick up any cuts that will raise our teams talent level.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree as usual on your thoughts on La'el Collins statement. From what i can find Its my thought here that you & I will be very VERY happy with ORG Cody Wichmann. He will be the late draft pick that I will follow & have plenty of interest in.....me thinks he could be another EJ Gaines event.
Good tip.
I certainly hope your right.