Rams News Recap: August 31

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
10 Rams Questions, Revisited –PD
Revisiting 10 questions posed six weeks ago when the Rams assembled for training camp

Practice Squad Might Not Have Room for Sam –PD
Defensive end Michael Sam went unclaimed by Sunday’s waiver deadline and begins the week unemployed. Once he cleared waivers, Sam became eligible to sign with the practice squad of any NFL team. But there were only a few nibbles around the league — nothing concrete at this point — in what must have been a frustrating day for Sam.

Rams Taking Talent to Another Level This Season –Karraker
When the Rams closed out the 2011 season and the Steve Spagnuolo/Billy Devaney era against San Francisco on New Year’s Day of 2012, they did so with six offensive starters who would never start another game in the NFL.

Balzer: Michael Sam Not a Distraction, Showed He Can Play in League

Rams League’s Youngest Team … Again –Wagoner
For the third consecutive year, the St. Louis Rams look like they will be the youngest team in the NFL.

Michael Sam Unclaimed on Waivers –Schefter
Sources close to Michael Sam say the defensive end has not been claimed on waivers.

Rams Roster Moves May Not Be Done –Wagoner
The St. Louis Rams trimmed their roster to the initial 53 players on Saturday afternoon. Not the final roster, the initial roster.

Projecting a Rams Practice Squad –Wagoner
While attempting to predict a St. Louis Rams 10-player practice squad should be easier than projecting a 53-man roster based solely on the difference in numbers, it’s actually far more difficult because the players can come from a pool well beyond just those recently released by the team.

Wagoner: Offensive Line Key To Rams’ Success –Video

Jeff Fisher on Cutting Michael Sam “I was pulling for Mike. I really was.” –Video

ESPN’s Adam Schefter: What’s Next For Michael Sam –Video

Wagoner: Why The Rams Cut Sam –Video

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Morning Ram-blings: Sam awaits next move
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/11163/morning-ram-blings-sam-awaits-next-move

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Former St. Louis Rams defensive end Michael Sam cleared waivers Sunday and is now free to sign with any team or its practice squad.

But signs increasingly point to the Rams' relative lack of depth at multiple positions keeping Sam from returning to St. Louis, even on the practice squad.

According to stltoday.com's Jim Thomas, the Rams have already added six of their 10 players for the practice squad. Those players are offensive linemen Brandon Washington and Sean Hooey, defensive tackle Matt Conrath, wide receiver Justin Veltung, safety Matt Daniels and linebacker Kevin Reddick.

As Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Sunday, though, the Rams have some need for depth at positions where they are currently light or have injuries on the roster. Adding two offensive linemen would take care of one of those needs, but even with those six names, the Rams could still use more bodies at cornerback, quarterback, receiver and linebacker.

The team is expected to finalize its practice squad sometime Monday.

I.C.Y.M.I.

A roundup of Sunday's Rams stories appearing on ESPN.com. ... In the Ram-blings, we opened with our NFL Nation season preview, covering all 32 teams. ... From there, I offered a best (and likely to be wrong) guess at the Rams' practice squad. ... Next, we looked at how the Rams might continue altering the roster over the next few days. ... I discussed the shape of the Rams' offensive line as they head toward the season opener. ... Finally, we closed the day with a look at how the Rams are once again the youngest team in the league heading into the season.

Elsewhere:

The news story on Sam going unclaimed.

Always worth a read, senior NFL writer John Clayton's mailbag.

Also at stltoday.com, Thomas revisits his 10 preseason questions for the Rams.

Columnist Bernie Miklasz writes that even though he didn't make the team, Sam's time as a Ram was still a success for all parties.

Joe Lyons monitors the Rams' plans at quarterback.

At 101sports.com, Kevin Wheeler projects the Rams to win eight games in 2014.